New Hire An Upgrade Or Starting over?

Tux

If Mike White is hired as the new coach, I will accept it and move on. He was not my first choice, nor was he in my top 7-8 picks.

I have read some fans say that this is an upgrade over Martin> I did not sign the petition and I did not argue that Martin was the "cat's meow" of coaches.

That being said, this new hire is not an upgrade. It is starting the program all over. White is very young, has not been a head coach at this level, and has a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail.

Continuity was lost and UT has gone back to the starting line to get back into the race for basketball dominance. Some may feel good about where we are at. I'm indifferent. I believe we could have made a hire that kept our place in the SEC pecking order and in a position to not lose ground.

This hire was a safe hire by Dave Hart, but it is not coming as cheap as he had hoped to because White has demanded a higher buyout in order to agree to the deal. Hart had the opportunity to cement his legacy at UT with a big fish hire, but chose to go a safer and cheaper route. In the process the program will lose ground for hopefully just a short period of time, while our coach gets his feet wet and is able to prove himself to prospects who know nothing of hi or if he will be successful at UT.

What do you think?

Reactions: 4 people
I think it'll be an upgrade in the fact that I think White has a higher ceiling than Zo. He'll most likely be better with the fan base and will hopefully embrace traditions here that Zo wasn't particularly on board with.

On the court, things we're looking grim when Stokes left no matter who was coaching.

I feel strongly that we're going to be looking at a better year 4 after 3 years of White than we were looking at regardless of Zo going or staying this year.

Both. Agree with what you are stating but it is quite obvious that we are going to keep things at a relatively low budget.

He will be an upgrade to Cuonzo in his coaching and recruiting. The only thing we'll be starting over is with the roster that Cuonzo is leaving.

He is definitely an upgrade. He's easily an upgrade in the recruiting department and I think he's just a better coach. I watched La Tech a few times this season and they were fun to watch.

He's not Dooley because he would actually come in as a winner.

Sounds like he may be more personable energetic and outgoing which is what CCM lacked and one reason the fans never embraced him as much. Who knows about his coaching, has only been a HC for 3 years so verdict is still out, however, pretty solid results in those 3'years. You want find a better person than CCM, however, sometimes nice guys finish last. I bet Mike White will continue to recruit players that are committed to other schools, which is one thing CCM would not do and I really think this hurt his recruiting.

upgrade depending on who we get of course. That said, any name I've heard so far is an upgrade so I don't care. White enthuses me. Would be a great thing if the petition I started led to a sweet 16 run and White.:)

From a Delta newspaper. Sort of an odd place to be if he is the new guy!
"White, who is on vacation with his family, has stayed out of the public eye since the Tennessee job opened up Tuesday."

If Mike White is hired as the new coach, I will accept it and move on. He was not my first choice, nor was he in my top 7-8 picks.

I have read some fans say that this is an upgrade over Martin> I did not sign the petition and I did not argue that Martin was the "cat's meow" of coaches.

That being said, this new hire is not an upgrade. It is starting the program all over. White is very young, has not been a head coach at this level, and has a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail.

Continuity was lost and UT has gone back to the starting line to get back into the race for basketball dominance. Some may feel good about where we are at. I'm indifferent. I believe we could have made a hire that kept our place in the SEC pecking order and in a position to not lose ground.

This hire was a safe hire by Dave Hart, but it is not coming as cheap as he had hoped to because White has demanded a higher buyout in order to agree to the deal. Hart had the opportunity to cement his legacy at UT with a big fish hire, but chose to go a safer and cheaper route. In the process the program will lose ground for hopefully just a short period of time, while our coach gets his feet wet and is able to prove himself to prospects who know nothing of hi or if he will be successful at UT.

What do you think?

Was bUTch your choice or your 7th or 8th choice?

Would a 22 yr. old Pat Summit be your choice as the head coach of the Lady Vols?

Would you have wasted a recruiting slot on Dane Bradshaw, who is slow and can't jump and played in a lower level high school conference? Buzz has no idea what he is doing. He is in over his head. This is not Tulsa!!

Would you have wasted a recruiting slot on Lofton? Hell, he was the Kentucky player of the year, but even Kentucky and Louisville didn't want him. He played in a smaller league of competition in Mayfield Kentucky. Buzz has no idea what he is doing. Can't he recruit better than that?

I am glad that we passed on Patric Willis. He is over rated and has played in small town competition. Why waste a scholarship on him, when Fulmer can get Brooks, who is the next Al Wilson....

VN Store

Back