Tyndall Press Conference (FreakNotes)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
As I sometimes do, I'll be posting a running summary of the press conference for those who can't watch at work or are unable to watch/listen for whatever reason. I'll update this first post as we go along. Feel free to add your comments as well.

:hi:

DAVE HART:

It's an exciting day for TN basketball. Officially began the search one week ago today. Donnie Tyndall fits the profile which he was looking for perfectly: a winner with a track record of success.

Tyndall has won everywhere he's been. He reminds Hart of Butch Jones. Tyndall knew the tradition and history of Tennessee. He has "balanced energy". He's a grinder. He's enthusiastic. He has a great sense of humor. He's a great communicator.

Asked rivals about Tyndall. One said "that guy is everywhere." He prioritizes academic success and has a track record to prove it.

(Introduces Tyndall)

DONNIE TYNDALL:

Congratulates the players on their Sweet 16 run and asked for a round of applause for them.

It's a great compliment to be compared to Butch Jones. Grew up about an hour from Jones.

Thanks his bosses and Southern Miss. Excited about the opportunity. Thanks John Brady for first division I job. Thanks Kermit Davis, his boss at MTSU. Coach Wayne Martin was a head at Morehead State. Thanks mom and dad (who are present) and his two daughters and his fiance.

Some have heard the rumor he was the second choice. Points out his girlfriend and says I wasn't her first choice either but proves I'm a good recruiter.

Tennessee is special, has great tradition. Ray Mears. Ernie and Bernie. Grew up watching Tony White. Dale Ellis, Houston, Lofton. Compliments Pat Summit and the tradition of Tennessee athletics.

Has graduated 21 of 22 seniors. Kids will go to class, be on time, value their education and leave with a degree in hand. We aren't going to have thugs or renegades. It won't happen under his watch. Won't guarantee they wil be angels but will represent well.

Will full court press and get after end line to end line. Much like Louisville on defense. Nationally rated in steals. Offensively we will push the ball and run a high-low offensive set similar to Kansas.

Relentless recruiter. We will recruit the best players in the nation. We won't take second fiddle. We've got to control our state and get into Memphis. We will have a staff of young go-getters. With our facilitaties we should be able to get the best players. We have the best fans in the nation.

(opens for questions)

Have to make some decisions. Entire staff will come but they may not be in the same role. He's meeting with some other candidates and hopes to make a decision in the next 48 hours.

Martin made a decision to do what's best for his family, just like it's best for Tyndall's family to take this opportunity and move to Knoxville. He's had opportunities in the past but liked Southern Miss. Had a great relationship and great security. But this is Tennessee and you can compete for Final Fours and national championships and that's his plan.

This is a destination job. Has the contacts to recruit in the SEC, which is one of the top conferences in the country.

At the lower levels, you're a grinder when recruiting. We did those things. The lack of resources make you hungry but he's going to carry that same intensity to recruiting here.

He's a big fan of Coach Pearl. Coach Martin did an outstanding job but we've got to put that behind us and it has to start today. We are all Vol fans and we all want our guys to do well. Let's start today and pull together, pull at that behind us and get to work.

Recruited Memphis at Morehead State. He has some contacts and relationships in the state and is looking at coaches who also have relationships in the state.

On four incoming signees. Visited with three today. All seem excited and wanted to put their mind at ease that they are desperately wanted. Shared goals and visions and will call back later to night to chat with families.

Tennessee loses 72% of scoring and 69% of rebounding. Players need to step up. Will get to work on personal workouts tomorrow. We will surprise some folks next year but everyone has to buy in.

Telling story about his daughters. Had his eye on Tennessee since Martin rumors with Marquette. This was a job that was on his radar.

Again, entire staff will come from S. Miss. Grinders and workaholics. Just not sure of their exact capacity yet.

On NCAA probation. It was isolated to one booster who meant no harm or ill will. He was contacting players without the coaches knowledge and became an "extra coach". Never asked him to do things. He learned from it. It never went to committee of infractions. Don't shy away from responsibility and it won't be an issue again.

No players have planned to leave this point and it doesn't appear any signees plan to leave. There are no APR issues.

Won't ever lie to players. Direct and straightforward. Does what he says. Players will know what to expect.

On being at "football school." Hart and Cheek are very supportive of basketball and you sell football and bring recruits in to see football. It helps sell the program. Cites Billy Donovan at a football school and that's what he plans to do at Tennessee.

Active in spring recruiting. Has his eye on several guys who are just coming available due to coaching changes and other reasons. Have two scholarships to give but won't sign anyone just to sign them.

TBA is a beautiful arena and the seats are filled. His last two schools didn't even have a practice facility. "Trust me, we will be able to sell Tennessee just fine."

[The end.]

Reactions: 31 people
Crap, I thought I could make it in before "proven track record". Hart's go-to buzz phrases are usually the first thing he unleashes

Nice hair, Hart.

at least he doesn't have his bangs hanging down like frankenstein this time

1397770661000-generic-Dave-Hart-AP.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
DT said he probably wasnt his fiance's first choice but that proves he is a good recruiter.

DONNIE freakin TYNDALL is the man. Throwing zingers in the presser. Hell yeah I'm pumped up!

VN Store

Back