Interesting take on Cuonzo/Cal from Cal site

I've never once said people should stop posting specific items on this board, but the Conzo stuff needs to stop. Who cares what someone all the way across the country thinks of our fan base? Who cares about Conzo and his lethargic basketball? I didn't sign the petition, but there's a reason why 30k did. People want excitement and energy, not slow paced and boring. Conzo is a great guy, but he's a boring coach and a terrible in-game play caller. Now, let's all move on from this and get behind our new coach who seams to be a perfect fit for bringing the energy back to TBA.

Reactions: 15 people
Seamingly easy to say... but not so easy to do. That is why we still review CPF's tenure.

Reactions: 3 people
"I can’t honestly tell if it was sour grapes, but I’m a little surprised there wasn’t more angst from the Vols fanbase at Martin leaving. Part of the fanbase is clearly delusional" -California Golden Blogs
I can agree with delusional, but I feel they should take note of the fact that some have zero angst. :compute:

Reactions: 5 people
Its funny to here all of these people say that his coaching style and teams were boring. But if you look at the final 4 all of those teams had grind it out styles. Played great defense and didn't score a lot of points. Plain and simple that style wins ballgames. These wide open style offenses look good but will they take you far in the tournament. I don't think so or every program would be doing it.

Reactions: 12 people
if they start a petition now and by the time the season starts, then they might have a chance. when Zo is the coach,its always good to have a petition on hand.
Im just glad he is gone. Gay area or Bay area don't matter.

Reactions: 2 people
". The Tennessee reaction: I can’t honestly tell if it was sour grapes, but I’m a little surprised there wasn’t more angst from the Vols fanbase at Martin leaving. Part of the fanbase is clearly delusional (30K+ signatures to rehire Pearl)… so I could be way off base here, but I’m just not sure."

Reactions: 1 person
They're starting to see the effects already. They had a commitment from a 6'11 top 150 guy who had signed with Cal but only signed a scholarship offer, not a letter of intent. This only guaranteed Cal would have the scholly for him, not that he would have to go there. Martin met with him today and he opened his recruiting back up and is going to visit Boston College.

Maybe Coach Tyndall can land a visit from the guy if he gets his staff in place soon enough.

They're about to witness the most boring team/coach and the worst in game play calling they've ever seen.. They have no clue what's about to hit them.

Good luck cal bears, hope ur previous coach left Martin with some good recruits like ours did, or it's not gonna be pretty.

Reactions: 7 people
After the UT fans reaction of Martin leaving, I honestly don't know how cal fans could be excited.. It's funny really. Martin made a smart move and left while his stock was the highest it could ever be, because he was blessed with a stacked starting 5 that won games on athleticism alone.. He knew he couldn't reload a roster on his own.

Reactions: 7 people
Its funny to here all of these people say that his coaching style and teams were boring. But if you look at the final 4 all of those teams had grind it out styles. Played great defense and didn't score a lot of points. Plain and simple that style wins ballgames. These wide open style offenses look good but will they take you far in the tournament. I don't think so or every program would be doing it.

I don't say this to insult our fans, but just to say it is what it is. In football, and especially in basketball, the fans want somebody to entertain them personally, to make them feel good about themselves. They want a rah rah guy. They don't like a no non-sense guy, who just coaches 'em up and speaks coach speak. They want a friend.

Gene Keady, Bobby Knight, Greg Marshall, for example, would never go over well here because they just coach and don't cheerlead. I think our fans would rather have a carnival barker than a coach. They want a style that goes up and down and up and down and is EXCITING.

Style matters here. Very very much. People didn't like Martin because they didn't feel he gave them enough love. That's what they want. It makes them feel special.

Reactions: 6 people
After the UT fans reaction of Martin leaving, I honestly don't know how cal fans could be excited.. It's funny really. Martin made a smart move and left while his stock was the highest it could ever be, because he was blessed with a stacked starting 5 that won games on athleticism alone.. He knew he couldn't reload a roster on his own.

This doesn't make sense to me. Jordy Mac never played for Pearl. Maymon was beaten out by Steven Pearl for goodness sakes. The Rest were all Martin's guys who everybody said sucked because Martin couldn't recruit. Maymon can't even dunk.

He lost one of his leading scorers and found a decent replacement in a Memphis cast off, but, hell, Martin just rolled the ball out there and the team made it to the Sweet 16!

Reactions: 9 people
I don't say this to insult our fans, but just to say it is what it is. In football, and especially in basketball, the fans want somebody to entertain them personally, to make them feel good about themselves. They want a rah rah guy. They don't like a no non-sense guy, who just coaches 'em up and speaks coach speak. They want a friend.

Gene Keady, Bobby Knight, Greg Marshall, for example, would never go over well here because they just coach and don't cheerlead. I think our fans would rather have a carnival barker than a coach. They want a style that goes up and down and up and down and is EXCITING.

Style matters here. Very very much. People didn't like Martin because they didn't feel he gave them enough love. That's what they want. It makes them feel special.

:crazy::popcorn:

This doesn't make sense to me. Jordy Mac never played for Pearl. Maymon was beaten out by Steven Pearl for goodness sakes. The Rest were all Martin's guys who everybody said sucked because Martin couldn't recruit. Maymon can't even dunk.

He lost one of his leading scorers and found a decent replacement in a Memphis cast off, but, hell, Martin just rolled the ball out there and the team made it to the Sweet 16!

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure that Stevie Pearl's minutes in the 2010-11 season had everything to do with basketball ability... :eek:k: And McRae and Maymon were signed by Pearl by the way.

Reactions: 2 people
Coach Tyndall is in the house.

:) :dance2: :) :dance2: :) :dance2: :)

Could care less about what is going on in Berkeley.

I've never once said people should stop posting specific items on this board, but the Conzo stuff needs to stop. Who cares what someone all the way across the country thinks of our fan base? Who cares about Conzo and his lethargic basketball? I didn't sign the petition, but there's a reason why 30k did. People want excitement and energy, not slow paced and boring. Conzo is a great guy, but he's a boring coach and a terrible in-game play caller. Now, let's all move on from this and get behind our new coach who seams to be a perfect fit for bringing the energy back to TBA.

Then don't read it its gonna happen can't stop it

Do you mean the Maymon that was the best player on the team when he was out with an injury or so we heard 1 1/2 years ago. The Maymon who was a rebounding machine. Not sure who you were talking about?

The more i read that cal blog site, the more i wanna thank Freak for having this wonderfully formatted site!

Reactions: 6 people

To a point, I agree with everything you said. The exception would be if any of the coaches you named, or even Cuonzo, had won at a high level.

Gregg Marshall would be universally accepted if he came here and had us in the tourney in year one, and competing for championships by year three. Zo and his moribund demeanor would have been widely accepted had he won at a high level each year, and conversely, had he been a more engaging character, his actual results would have been better received. The combination of no personality AND only moderate success led to his falling out with many fans.

Reactions: 4 people

Agree with everything, but I'm not sure Cuonzo is a great guy. What has he done to earn the "great guy" status?

I liked the product and style of ball we saw this year. It wins championships. But the casual fan wants to be entertained more than they want to watch well executed half court basketball. Save the gimmicky offenses and junk defenses for the mid majors trying to even the playing field. I'll take a traditional 1-5 lineup with half court sets and man to man D.

VN Store

Back