Fox Sports "10 Teams Ranked Too High/Low"

volgrad500

The Oracle of Orange
Sort of their take on the preseason coaches poll.
Interesting comments about OU.
"No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners
Poor, Sooners. The minute they knocked off Alabama in last year’s Sugar Bowl you knew they’d be the designated team that gets propped up way too high to start the next season, thus creating unrealistic expectations. Oklahoma will boast an experienced and athletic defense, but voters are blindly assuming that Trevor Knight and the offense will look more like they did that one night in January than the 12 games before that, ranking 81st nationally in yards per attempt (6.8).
Put it this way: What happened over the offseason that lifted OU seven spots higher than a Baylor team that won the Big 12 last season and beat the Sooners 41-12?"

I think they are right about Oklahoma. I can't wait for that game!! Has Missouri and Georgia as being ranked too low.

Ten teams ranked too high or too low in first coaches poll of 2014 | FOX Sports

Reactions: 2 people
I hope they are right about OU.

I think they could be wrong about Auburn though. Auburn plays 4 tough road games this year (won 3 of them at home close last yr). Marshall might not be the QB today if uga breaks up the pass LY. His stats until that miracle pass werent very good and Auburn was about to blow a big lead. They beat aTm when JF went out injuried for a couple of series, just enough for Auburn to get the lead. Fate was with those guys last yr and the "sun dont shine on the same dog all the time". JMO

Reactions: 1 person
I hope they are right about OU.

I think they could be wrong about Auburn though. Auburn plays 4 tough road games this year (won 3 of them at home close last yr). Marshall might not be the QB today if uga breaks up the pass LY. His stats until that miracle pass werent very good and Auburn was about to blow a big lead. They beat aTm when JF went out injuried for a couple of series, just enough for Auburn to get the lead. Fate was with those guys last yr and the "sun dont shine on the same dog all the time". JMO

Not that it really means anything, but in their entire history as a program, Auburn has never had back-to-back 10+ win regular seasons.

Sort of their take on the preseason coaches poll.
Interesting comments about OU.
"No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners
Poor, Sooners. The minute they knocked off Alabama in last year’s Sugar Bowl you knew they’d be the designated team that gets propped up way too high to start the next season, thus creating unrealistic expectations. Oklahoma will boast an experienced and athletic defense, but voters are blindly assuming that Trevor Knight and the offense will look more like they did that one night in January than the 12 games before that, ranking 81st nationally in yards per attempt (6.8).
Put it this way: What happened over the offseason that lifted OU seven spots higher than a Baylor team that won the Big 12 last season and beat the Sooners 41-12?"

I think they are right about Oklahoma. I can't wait for that game!! Has Missouri and Georgia as being ranked too low.

Ten teams ranked too high or too low in first coaches poll of 2014 | FOX Sports

Check out #9 in this BlogSpot...
Scribblings: 20 Bold Predictions for the 2014 College Football Season
[/URL]

Reactions: 8 people

For the lazy:

9) Tennessee over Oklahoma will be the year’s biggest upset
Oklahoma is my pick for most overrated team. Yes, the win over Alabama was nice but there was more than a little truth to what Nick Saban was saying about the Sugar Bowl being a consolation game. Yes, Oklahoma looked good but, no, it doesn’t mean Trevor Knight is now a Heisman contender.

The confidence, bordering on arrogance, from Bob Stoops this offseason has been surprising and off-putting. He realizes Oklahoma has won the Big 12 once in the past five years, right?

It’ll be a home, primetime game in which Oklahoma will be favored by about 30 against a rapidly improving Tennessee team, who will be underrated because of a close week 1 victory over a really good Utah State team. Oklahoma will be overconfident. Tennessee will keep it close. Oklahoma will falter late. And all those SEC comments will come back to really bite Bob Stoops.

I totally agree. The Sugar Bowl win was a bit of a fluke.

Utah beat Bama after missing the NC game in 08. Didn't mean Utah was suddenly a world beater.

OU had everything to prove after losing the Big 12 and recent history of bad BCS performances. Bama just didn't care after losing to Auburn.

Now... I'm not saying TN will win but I do think OU will lose at least 2 games and miss the play-offs.

I would go with Alabama as ranked too high. They have no proven QB. And their defense can't stop the forward pass. And why are they ranked higher than Oklahoma. Oklahoma ran them off the field. I would rank Auburn higher as well. Heck, Alabama has lost their last two games. When they beat a good team again then rank them.

For the lazy:

9) Tennessee over Oklahoma will be the year’s biggest upset
Oklahoma is my pick for most overrated team. Yes, the win over Alabama was nice but there was more than a little truth to what Nick Saban was saying about the Sugar Bowl being a consolation game. Yes, Oklahoma looked good but, no, it doesn’t mean Trevor Knight is now a Heisman contender.

The confidence, bordering on arrogance, from Bob Stoops this offseason has been surprising and off-putting. He realizes Oklahoma has won the Big 12 once in the past five years, right?

It’ll be a home, primetime game in which Oklahoma will be favored by about 30 against a rapidly improving Tennessee team, who will be underrated because of a close week 1 victory over a really good Utah State team. Oklahoma will be overconfident. Tennessee will keep it close. Oklahoma will falter late. And all those SEC comments will come back to really bite Bob Stoops.

Crazy talk IMO. 34-17 Oklahoma

I cant tell you how sad I am to hear us referred to as "lower division" - only thing sadder is that based on the last 5-7 years, I really cant disagree :(

I agree on OK being overrated, but I don't think GA or Mizzou are underrated. bamer got plenty of yards, it was mostly the turnovers and also the sacks and porous secondary that did them in against OK. We keep turnovers and sacks in check and our secondary will be the one getting turnovers. Also, OK probably lost their 5* potential starting RB due to him beating up a girl in a diner.

GA keeps imploding every week as someone gets in trouble or just leaves the team. In addition, some of those good players just won't be as good coming off injury as they were before (Herman Lathers) and they have a new defense to learn (remember salvanilla infection, 2012). Schedule-wise not too bad: Clemson-H, USCe-A, TN-H, Mizzou-A, FL-Semi-Neutral, Aub-H, SECw Rotational Ark-A.

Mizzou lost 14 starters. Take away Mauk, Josey (they have 2 other decent RBs) and 3 DL starters and that still leaves 9 to replace. They will be especially troubled to replace their top 3 or 4 WRs. Oh and last year all their tough games were at home or were following injury implosions (GA). This year they go to USCe-L, FL-L, TN-L, aTm-?, Toledo (no pushover)-W, while hosting GA-L, Vandy-W, KY-W, Ark-W, Indiana-W, SDakota State-W, and UCF-? (rutrow!). 6-8 wins IMO.

I would go with Alabama as ranked too high. They have no proven QB. And their defense can't stop the forward pass. And why are they ranked higher than Oklahoma. Oklahoma ran them off the field. I would rank Auburn higher as well. Heck, Alabama has lost their last two games. When they beat a good team again then rank them.

Other than FL, KY and Ark, bamer has the longest losing streak in the SEC!

How many 4 & 5* recruits would mini-me and mini-mini-me lose if they drop the opener to WV?

Other than FL, KY and Ark, bamer has the longest losing streak in the SEC!

How many 4 & 5* recruits would mini-me and mini-mini-me lose if they drop the opener to WV?

I don't know. These kids need to wake up and see that Big Orange train acoming around the bend. I about sick and tired of hearing how great Bama is. How many teams take an ass whipping like they got in the bowl game and get ranked second the next year. Not only that the team that beat is ranked behind them.

What's funny about mini-me is the cry babying.
"We got our ass whipped because we didn't care." "We need to slow down these offenses because I am afraid our players might get hurt." Not one coach in the country makes these kind of excuses after an ass whipping.

He drops another one to Auburn this year, he might be looking for a job.

By the way I am from Franklin County as well, the big city of Decherd.

I don't know. These kids need to wake up and see that Big Orange train acoming around the bend. I about sick and tired of hearing how great Bama is. How many teams take an ass whipping like they got in the bowl game and get ranked second the next year. Not only that the team that beat is ranked behind them.

"We got our ass whipped because we didn't care." "We need to slow down these offenses because I am afraid our players might get hurt." Not one coach in the country makes these kind of excuses after an ass whipping.

Cool, most of my family lives in Lincoln-Franklin Counties...Flintville, Lexie Crossroads, Huntland, Elora, Winchester, Estill Springs and Greasy Cove!

I retired from Air Force and still work for USAF-Civil Service in Colorado Springs area. Miss home a whole lot but I hear meth problem is out of control there right now.

Still may retire there though!

Cool, most of my family lives in Lincoln-Franklin Counties...Flintville, Lexie Crossroads, Huntland, Elora, Winchester, Estill Springs and Greasy Cove!

I retired from Air Force and still work for USAF-Civil Service in Colorado Springs area. Miss home a whole lot but I hear meth problem is out of control there right now.

Still may retire there though!

Parents still live there. I will be there this weekend. I might retire there as well. One thing that I like about the area is that it is still Big Orange Country and always will be.

Lol. Are you serious? He will be looking for a new job if he loses to Auburn again? He could only win 4 games next season and they wouldn't even consider firing him.

VN Store

Back