The good and bad from coach Mathews this morning

BeattieFeathers

Our best unit and is championship calibre is the wr position. We all knew this. On the bright side, Hendrix and Burnett are better than advertised. The thinking was that they were brought in to grow into tackles and move inside. They are so athletic that they will remain as ends. This was super news. However, it changed our recruiting priorities.
Jakobson might be redshirted. I can see this personally as he is raw and not ready. Creamer might be redshirted. Need to find a position for him.
Now, the concern is that he is not very optimistic about the cornerback position and alluded to the fact that it and qb was the two most important position this recruiting cycle. On a personal note, I am a little disappointed that Evan Berry isn't making much noise.
Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
a-burnett_7347.jpg

Burnett will be huge for our LB unit this year.

And I agree that Evan Berry isn't Mark Ingram much noise.

Reactions: 10 people
Sawyers will start next year...Big, strong and closing speed for his size is freakish

Our best unit and is championship calibre is the wr position. We all knew this. On the bright side, Hendrix and Burnett are better than advertised. The thinking was that they were brought in to grow into tackles and move inside. They are so athletic that they will remain as ends. This was super news. However, it changed our recruiting priorities.
Jakobson might be redshirted. I can see this personally as he is raw and not ready. Creamer might be redshirted. Need to find a position for him.
Now, the concern is that he is not very optimistic about the cornerback position and alluded to the fact that it and qb was the two most important position this recruiting cycle. On a personal note, I am a little disappointed that Evan Berry isn't make,Ingram much noise.
Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!

Looks like some DTs will be ran off to make room for some more athletic ones. Got to think 1 or 2 of them will not be back for next season if they cannot contribute.

Reactions: 2 people
I am not surprised about the berry brothers. Many on here grossly overrated them because of their last name.

Reactions: 6 people
Looks like some DTs will be ran off to make room for some more athletic ones. Got to think 1 or 2 of them will not be back for next season if they cannot contribute.
Please understand OP is your basic DebbieDowner troll.

Reactions: 16 people
'Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!"

In fairness, I believe that both were recruited to be on the nose in a 3=4 defense, as was Carson who left. That is an entirely different skill set than is required of a DTackle in a 4-3 based defense. Kind of like Peyton Manning running the wishbone.

Reactions: 5 people
Good to know. I will listen to the Doug Matthews Podcast when it's up and hear what he says.

I'll save you the trouble and paraphrase: We're going to be a lot better but you won't see it in the record. Rome wasn't built in a day. Butch Jones needs a couple more recruiting classes like 2014 and we'll be able to compete in the SEC.

Reactions: 15 people
I am not surprised about the berry brothers. Many on here grossly overrated them because of their last name.

Been on campus for a little over 2 months. Both are very athletic and fast as hell. How about we give these 18 year olds just a little time before declaring them grossly overrated.

Reactions: 42 people
'Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!"

In fairness, I believe that both were recruited to be on the nose in a 3=4 defense, as was Carson who left. That is an entirely different skill set than is required of a DTackle in a 4-3 based defense. Kind of like Peyton Manning running the wishbone.

Not that great of a comparison. DT's, especially 18 year old kids, can adapt to 3-4/4-3 schemes rather easily. Exceptions would be someone like Cody at Alabama or McCullers who are transfers and have already grown to big in size to maker a conversion.

I'll save you the trouble and paraphrase: We're going to be a lot better but you won't see it in the record. Rome wasn't built in a day. Butch Jones needs a couple more recruiting classes like 2014 and we'll be able to compete in the SEC.

Yep, and that's incredibly unreasonable. Get "Butch Carter's" arse on the hotseat right now.

Last edited:
This sounds like former Coach Matthews says Saulsberry and Obrien aren't athletic enough to contribute significantly, scoff, but they will be needed. Saulsberry was producing last year before his injury.
Has anyone heard the extent of the Saulsberry injury?

This sounds like former Coach Matthews says Saulsberry and Obrien aren't athletic enough to contribute significantly, scoff, but they will be needed. Saulsberry was producing last year before his injury.
Has anyone heard the extent of the Saulsberry injury?

I heard coach Mathews say one time that under coach majors, if a senior didn't start, he was a third teamer. Even though neither are seniors, it could be they know the two frosh are the future and they want to get them experience. Our dt group has been below average for several years. Saułsberry may be needed but it appears we have 5 guys that can still rotate without him. He is not a savior to this program like so many pretend.

I heard coach Mathews say one time that under coach majors, if a senior didn't start, he was a third teamer. Even though neither are seniors, it could be they know the two frosh are the future and they want to get them experience. Our dt group has been below average for several years. Saułsberry may be needed but it appears we have 5 guys that can still rotate without him. He is not a savior to this program like so many pretend.

Nobody has ever proclaimed Saulsberry a "savior", just a big-bodied DT that was playing well last year before his injury. For a young, relatively inexperienced DL low on depth, he can be a very big piece to the puzzle and is badly needed by this team.

Reactions: 10 people

Manning running a wishbone is one of the funniest things my mind has tried to picture in years

Reactions: 1 person
Are you kidding me?

Nope dead serious. Many on this board assumed they would have the same impact as Freshman that Eric did. It's not a reasonable assumption . I think they will do great for us over the next four years but I don't expect them to be instant game changers like Eric was.

Reactions: 3 people
Nope dead serious. Many on this board assumed they would have the same impact as Freshman that Eric did. It's not a reasonable assumption . I think they will do great for us over the next four years but I don't expect them to be instant game changers like Eric was.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that they're as good as Eric but whatever people may think it's way too soon to reach a conclusion.

Reactions: 2 people
Very surprised that he is saying the CB position is bad. We know what Cam Sutton can do he is certainly an SEC talented CB. Moseley and Gaulden are coming on they just need to grow and develop. I guess we'll all know more when we actually play a game.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back