Friday practice 8/22

Fingers

Justin Worley had a pair of dazzling throws that were highly successful for different reasons. The first was a sideline hook-up with Marquez North that demonstrated extremely good timing. Later, Worley hooked up with Von Pearson, who slipped behind the secondary and scored a long touchdown. Coleman Thomas got continued first-team work at right tackle some this afternoon, and Jacob Gilliam was manning the left tackle spot.

-Barnett, Mixon and Weatherd got first team reps

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1672975

Reactions: 7 people
-Kerbyson didn't practice. Thomas took his spot.
-Peterman took most of the 2nd team snaps.
-Wharton is back but Johnson looks to have an ankle/foot injury. Saulsberry out still.
-Bullock leading Medley

There are restrictions to what we can report from practices these days, but a few players impressed for one or more moments Friday: Senior quarterback Justin Worley with his accuracy, junior receiver Von Pearson and sophomore cornerback Michael Williams with their play-making ability, sophomore linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin for his pass coverage in space and junior linebacker Chris Weatherd with his dynamic pass-rushing ability. Sophomore safety Devaun Swafford had at least one mental mistake in coverage that led to a big play.

Fast Five: Tennessee Vols football Friday practice

Reactions: 5 people
These guys need to quit lying. Worley is terrible... the experts here have spoken. :D

Honestly I hope the guy turns the corner. He does still have to prove he can do things well like that when the lights come on but the reports are encouraging to those of us who hadn't written him off.

Reactions: 14 people
3040087.jpg

3040089.jpg

3040112.jpg

3040114.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
We really need Weatherd's pass rushing abilities. I can't wait to see the new look D-line

Reactions: 3 people
Am pleased to see that little item about JRM showing some excellence in pass coverage for a linebacker.

BvrSRzxCcAEBssN.jpg

JONES: It was a productive day in the heat with situational football.

JONES: Tomorrow is a day if meetings and addressing things related to game day.

JONES: It's football season, live it, love it or like it.

JONES: Everything is about prior experiences. We played on just about every day of the week (at CMU and UC)

JONES: The kickers are still pushing each other. It'll be ongoing. You have to earn your position every day.

JONES: Darr has done a great job. He's been good with his ball placement.

Reactions: 1 person
vols_52_AL_7508407_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Shortly after, running back Justus Pickett and receiver Josh Malone committed consecutive pre-snap penalties with the second-team offense. Jones called the entire team to the middle of the field for a stern meeting.

But during its second attempt, Worley found Von Pearson over the middle for a long touchdown pass.

-Getting first team reps (some mentioned already above) Williams, Sutton, Swafford, Randolph, Weatherd, Barnett. Maggitt did not participate.
-Alex Ellis first team reps at TE
-Saulsberry watched in street clothes with a brace on his left knee

Instant observations from Tennessee

Reactions: 2 people
Patrick Brown: Butch Jones tells me freshman tailback Derrell Scott is out with a foot injury and will miss the season opener.

Reactions: 4 people
Josh Smith said he's night-and-day better than he was last year. Also said Worley is playing with more confidence now.

Reactions: 8 people
Time for the 2 deep to be released.. Based on these reports, have no idea who is starting

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Worley: We are into game prep. Everyone is ready. We have to take advantage of the reps we can get.

Worley: I told the 1s this is my last run, Marlin Lane's last go round. I said let's go after it.

Worley: There are more and more of these lasts and it hits you. Everyone is fired up and ready to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back