Going to be a tough season

Wilhelm16

Run through the T
I have mixed feelings leading into this season. On one hand, Vols football is returning. Normally today would be my "Christmas Eve". However, my dad, 3rdDownPunt, the man who introduced me to the love of the Vols, passed away in January. We always filled the house with snacks, put the couch right in front of the TV, wore our orange shirts/jerseys, and turned the TV down so we could listen to John Ward.

When I moved away 10 years ago, we still stayed in touch. Calling each other during the games, and talking about what is happening. He was 100% on the Butch Jones bandwagon, and I'm pretty sure Jalen Hurd was Dad's all-time favorite Vol without ever playing a down.

I'm sure it's going to be difficult to watch the games this year. I'm sure it will bring back the emotions I've felt from time to time since January 29th when I got that unexpected call that my own personal Superman had a heart attack and passed away.

There are some things that I learned from my dad that I wish the current Vols will pick up in his passing. No matter what sickness or pain dad was feeling, he got his butt up and took himself to work. 33 years he worked in that factory. I hope the current Vols will BRING IT every day like Dad did. I hope that, when they face adversity, the take their butts to work anyways. I learned from Dad that there is definitely another level that you can push your body to when your mind is telling you otherwise. It was how he was able at 45 years old to hold me, a 21 year old college caliber athlete at the time, to a hard fought 36-34 game of hoops (the first time in my life I had ever beat him) He hated to lose, and he would pull out this magical next gear. I hope the current Vols are able to look within and find a supernatural extra level of performance. I hope they know that there was a guy who looked to the Vols as a weekend escape from the stress of blue-collar life.

I hope they know that all of us are behind them. It will be a difficult season for me, but not watching is not an option. Dad just wouldn't allow it. He only ever missed the Vols to watch my jr pro games.

I started typing this, and I felt down. I was sad thinking about watching the Vols run through the T and not being on the phone with my Dad. Now, after all these memories come flooding back to me...as I think about the excitement....as I look at my 3 year old son, who is named after my dad and looks just like my dad's childhood photos.....he'll be, for the first time, really able to watch the game with me and somewhat understand.....I'm not down...and the rest of the SEC better watch out, because the Vols aren't down anymore either!!!! I'm buying my snacks, getting ready to move the couch tomorrow night, already laid out our Orange....Go knock some heads off and surprise some folks, Vols! There is a guy up in Heaven wearing a Reggie White jersey who will be cheering like crazy!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 127 people
Sorry for your loss, sounds like your dad was a great man and a great father. He taught you many good qualities to pass on to your son.
GBO!

Reactions: 7 people
Sorry for you loss, I can't even imagine. I get to go to the game tomorrow with my father and the older I get the more I've learned to cherish those times I get to spend with everyone.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry for you loss, I can't even imagine. I get to go to the game tomorrow with my father and the older I get the more I've learned to cherish those times I get to spend with everyone.

He took me to see the Vols whoop Akron in 1989. There is something about your first time at Neyland that just sticks with ya. I can't wait to take my son.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I can't wait until I can take my daughter to a game. She's 2 now

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH I LOST MINE 12/4/13. KICK OFF NOT GOING TO BE THE SAME WITH OUT HIM THERE
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
My dad passed away 3 years ago. I still talk with him a little. Mostly during football and basketball season with little quick comments and observations like we used to do. Now, at age 44 and with a 7 yr old, I'm the same age my dad was when I was 7. I'm my dad and my son is me. And I see it from both sides now and it's a beautiful thing. Your dad is watching. Mine is too.
Just chatted briefly yesterday before the first game of the season as we always did and do. He thinks we got a coach, lines will be better than we thought and still need a qb.
And I'm not crazy or making it up. I guess it comes from all those talks and knowing what he would say.

Reactions: 20 people
Screw you people complaining about this being too long and not broken up into paragraphs. The Op told a very touching story of his father passing away this past January.
OP I am sorry for your loss and can't imagine what you are going through. I have never lost anyone close to me like that and I don't know what I would do if I did. Hang in there and just enjoy the memories you two had together and create those same memories with your son and try to be a good father like your father. Go vols

I doubt that any of the people complaining about the formatting knew the subject of the post. The title didn't give it away and they were just pointing out that paragraphs would have made it more readable.

OP, I am sorry for your loss and I'm sure everyone else here is, too. I hope this season gives you a lot of reasons to smile and relive great memories of your Dad.

Great post. My dad is the one that instilled my passion for Tennessee Football as well. I am grateful that we are able to go to games and have a common interest to talk about. I have 6 year old who was mad at me for going to the Orange and White game with out him because he had a prior obligation. I went with my dad and it was awesome. You cherish those memories and share them with your little guy. It is what tradition is all about passing those memories down so that they can live forever. GO VOLS!!!

Awesome post! Sorry for your loss! I too, work at a factory and my son is a junior at ut. He is living my dream by going there and i feel very blessed to be going to the game with him this weekend!

Your post really touched me and hit at home with me! It made me think how i really need to enjoy my time with my family!

Thanks for sharing and god bless!

I just cried man. Sorry for your loss. Man I love how Tennessee football brings families together in a way nothing else can.

I have mixed feelings leading into this season. On one hand, Vols football is returning. Normally today would be my "Christmas Eve". However, my dad, 3rdDownPunt, the man who introduced me to the love of the Vols, passed away in January. We always filled the house with snacks, put the couch right in front of the TV, wore our orange shirts/jerseys, and turned the TV down so we could listen to John Ward.

When I moved away 10 years ago, we still stayed in touch. Calling each other during the games, and talking about what is happening. He was 100% on the Butch Jones bandwagon, and I'm pretty sure Jalen Hurd was Dad's all-time favorite Vol without ever playing a down.

I'm sure it's going to be difficult to watch the games this year. I'm sure it will bring back the emotions I've felt from time to time since January 29th when I got that unexpected call that my own personal Superman had a heart attack and passed away.

There are some things that I learned from my dad that I wish the current Vols will pick up in his passing. No matter what sickness or pain dad was feeling, he got his butt up and took himself to work. 33 years he worked in that factory. I hope the current Vols will BRING IT every day like Dad did. I hope that, when they face adversity, the take their butts to work anyways. I learned from Dad that there is definitely another level that you can push your body to when your mind is telling you otherwise. It was how he was able at 45 years old to hold me, a 21 year old college caliber athlete at the time, to a hard fought 36-34 game of hoops (the first time in my life I had ever beat him) He hated to lose, and he would pull out this magical next gear. I hope the current Vols are able to look within and find a supernatural extra level of performance. I hope they know that there was a guy who looked to the Vols as a weekend escape from the stress of blue-collar life.

I hope they know that all of us are behind them. It will be a difficult season for me, but not watching is not an option. Dad just wouldn't allow it. He only ever missed the Vols to watch my jr pro games.

I started typing this, and I felt down. I was sad thinking about watching the Vols run through the T and not being on the phone with my Dad. Now, after all these memories come flooding back to me...as I think about the excitement....as I look at my 3 year old son, who is named after my dad and looks just like my dad's childhood photos.....he'll be, for the first time, really able to watch the game with me and somewhat understand.....I'm not down...and the rest of the SEC better watch out, because the Vols aren't down anymore either!!!! I'm buying my snacks, getting ready to move the couch tomorrow night, already laid out our Orange....Go knock some heads off and surprise some folks, Vols! There is a guy up in Heaven wearing a Reggie White jersey who will be cheering like crazy!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this story! I'm sure your dad will be pulling for the vols sitting right next to Gen Neyland!

It will be a nail biter with plenty of highs and lows. I think we surprise some people and get really strong at the end. We have to weather the middle of schedule and steal a few...USCe, FL, Ole Miss, etc.

7-5 or better IMO.

Very sorry for your loss. I hope on some level typing that out was cathartic for you.

I've said it before, say it again... the brotherhood and fellowship of Tennessee football is incredible. I hope you enjoy the season and the fantastic memories of the times watching with Dad. Those can never be taken away.

I'm ready for this thing to get going... GBO VFL.

My condolences for your loss. I lost mine July 2nd so I couldn't help but get a little choked up reading your story. Stay strong and Go Big Orange.

Sorry for your loss, sir. I like VN, but there can be some vicious smartasses on here that cut down other posters for no reason. I hope you can enjoy the season with your family and carry on the tradition.

He took me to see the Vols whoop Akron in 1989. There is something about your first time at Neyland that just sticks with ya. I can't wait to take my son.

I was at that game...Home on leave from the Air Force between Korea and England assignments. I want to say the score was 49-7ish, Perkins playing Offense and Defense.

My dad passed in 1997 and was a big Vols fan. He and I went to many games together and tailgated throughout the 80s and watched games ob tv when we moved away. The night before he passed my brothers and I snuck a cooler of beer ibto his hospital room and watched the Texas Tech game. It is never easy but it does get easier. My dad would have loved what CBJ is doing with the team. I know he will be drinking a beer and watching the game tomorrow with me and my daughter.

Mine passed in 2000, still think about him everyday. We used to ride around in the mountains of East Tennessee and listen to John Ward announce the football games, back when we might have 1 game a year on tv. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father, just know he is always with you. 1st season after he passed was the hardest.

VN Store

Back