Third down and loud

NEO

Eat at Joe's
The third down and what is a game changer I think.

A lot of people didn't understand at first but by second quarter they were dancing when it came on and it got loud.

for those there...was this the loudest the stadium has ever gotten?

Reactions: 4 people

A lot of people didn't understand at first but by second quarter they were dancing when it came on and it got loud.

No not the loudest ever. But still pretty electric

Reactions: 4 people

Yep! That was bad a$$! Lots of energy!!

It got extremely loud. I remember early in the game they showed a 101 decibel figure up on the jumbotron. Not sure if it got louder throughout the game.

Loudest I've been to was 06 cal. But this was a decently close second. On third down I could barely Hear myself think!

No. Not close to the loudest.

But much better than usual for a non-Conf opener.

Not even close

When we blocked the punt last year against UGa late in the game that was the loudest I had heard Neyland in over a decade. Maybe since that Florida kicker missed his field goal in '98.

Reactions: 1 person

UT-Florida 1998! (Which ended with me hanging on the south goalpost :) )

Reactions: 2 people
Second half of UGA last year was probably just as loud if not more so, but the crowd held their level of energy from kickoff until the outcome was no longer in doubt. Salutes.

That was the loudest Neyland crowd I've ever head no doubt!

I was in student section E (I think) about the 10th row for that UT-Florida game, so I had the perfect opportunity to get to the field after we won in overtime.

I got my hands on the south goalpost just a few seconds before it came down, and held onto it until we carried it out of the north side of the stadium. That night will always be one of my fondest memories!

Go Vols! :clapping:

I was in student section E (I think) about the 10th row for that UT-Florida game, so I had the perfect opportunity to get to the field after we won in overtime.

I got my hands on the south goalpost just a few seconds before it came down, and held onto it until we carried it out of the north side of the stadium. That night will always be one of my fondest memories!

Go Vols! :clapping:

:salute: fun times!!

It felt like old times the place was rocking! :rock:

2006 Cal was the loudest I've ever witnessed, tonight was pretty good though, especially in the first half

Love the piped in music and noise, really adds a great deal to the game atmosphere. I did not think I would like when it was first announced but it is great, really got the crowd engaged.

I wasn't at the game, but I got the impression from long-time season ticket holders that the 2004 UT-UF game was one of the loudest ever. Supposedly the entire stadium was shaking after the field goal to win at the end.

It wasn't the loudest I've heard, but the third down for what thing definitely helps get the crowd going. In the fourth quarter after the game was decided people were getting up, dancing, and screaming every third down. I don't think there was a single third down that didn't get loud. I've never seen that in a game that wasn't against a rival.

Reactions: 2 people
I wasn't at the game, but I got the impression from long-time season ticket holders that the 2004 UT-UF game was one of the loudest ever. Supposedly the entire stadium was shaking after the field goal to win at the end.

It was. You can see it on the tape - same with 98. Youtube it.

Love the 3rd for What.... gets the crowd engaged and the players love it and feed off it. I was in U and the reaction to it was decent, but too many folks in that section just sit there and aren't very energetic. Kind of disappointing considering when I looked across the field people were up on their feet and going nuts. Especially the student section. Hip hop isn't my thing personally, but I'm all for anything that gets Neyland rocking. Hopefully more people will jump on board and get rowdy as they get used to it. This is something that I think recruits are going to love when they visit, and it does add a little something to the game day atmosphere.

Ehh, good volume, but nowhere near some of the highlight moments from history.

#1 - UT-UF 1998, which was loud and proud start to finish. This was the sort of titanic blood frenzy Neyland's lacked since the start of the last decade. But it did not feature the loudest single moment -- that honor goes to ...
#2 - UT-UGA 2001, which people forget because it's the boot game and it almost cost us a Rose Bowl trip (but we took care of that ourselves, later). But I'm almost positive the Stephens screen pass may be the loudest I'll ever hear Neyland be for a single moment. The faster he ran for that endzone, the louder it got. Never felt Neyland move that much before, or since. The only thing that could compete with this is ...
#3 - UT-UF 2004, Wilhoit kick, which was pretty freaking loud too. That game had a lot of energy in the second half as Ainge drove us down the field, and so many heart-stopping moments that kept the crowd peaking higher and higher. Another stadium-shaker at the end (actually, twice - it was rocking when they scored the tying TD but it quieted down quickly for the missed PAT).

All my opinions, of course. The opener was a great crowd and a good show, but those three games were definitely louder and it wasn't really close. If you think this game was/is loud, just wait until you get a top 10 Tennessee versus Georgia/Florida/Bama game on the home slate. *THAT* will be some seriously loud stuff. Decibel by decibel.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back