Tennessee vs Utah State: Offense play by play (video)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Here is the condensed less than 12-minute version of every play Tennessee ran on offense Sunday. I'm hoping to do some analysis but I wanted to go ahead and get the video out there.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5iEvTVMcJg[/youtube]

Reactions: 42 people
Thanks Freak.
Though I was there, thanks to the video, it is obvious we sputtered a bit here and there, especially in the first half after the two quick TDs.
Worley has got to dial in those long throws.

Awesome, Freak! Love this! Thank you for putting this together!

Execution in the screen game is much improved, two of those flanker screens to Josh Smith lead him beautifully down the field.

The offensive line looks kind of how I expected, they actually got some decent push but were slow getting into their blocks. I suspect it's the mental part of the game that's giving them trouble and hope to see improvement in week 2.

This kind of blocking scheme is perfect for Marlin's style of running. He picks and pops and hesitates and jukes to get all of his yards. Hurd is a no hesitation straight line bruiser that makes quick cuts on the move. That might work against him in this type of offense until he can develop the kind of patience that Marlin shows.

Great way to look at a game. Worley had some great long throws with touch. Those deep crossing routes were a thing of beauty. He missed some verticals but they were mostly covered, a couple of those were thrown that gave our guy a chance and no one else. He also had at least 3 or so dropped balls. Don't get me wrong, I thought he looked good, but he actually played better than I thought he did. Awesome thread, thanks.

Here is the condensed less than 12-minute version of every play Tennessee ran on offense Sunday. I'm hoping to do some analysis but I wanted to go ahead and get the video out there.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5iEvTVMcJg[/youtube]

Freak this is awesome.

This kind of blocking scheme is perfect for Marlin's style of running. He picks and pops and hesitates and jukes to get all of his yards. Hurd is a no hesitation straight line bruiser that makes quick cuts on the move. That might work against him in this type of offense until he can develop the kind of patience that Marlin shows.

Lane just has more experience. Give Hurd some time. I imagine he was a deer in headlights for a lot of the game. Prolly thinking no negative plays, no negative plays. Once he relaxes and let's his talent take over, he will be special. IMO.

Reactions: 1 person

he was almost trying too hard. Problem is there is a fine line between hitting the hole hard and being patient, waiting a split second, finding/feeling it then accelerating. Hurd missed a couple of bounces to the outside. I'm hoping to see him get the ball outside the tackles more and to make himself available and ready for a late dump off when Worley gets into trouble. Bama rbs have a field day on screens and late dump off's that allow them to get a head of steam in some space against DL and lb's.

I know one thing, and that is it's great to be able to run a screen again. We haven't really been able to in years and the screen with a badass tb was always a part of the best UT teams.

Reactions: 1 person
That was a great vid.
Would to see more like that as the year goes along.

I don't know where some of the comments about "loading the box" to stop the run are coming from.

Tennessee pretty much spread the field the whole game and loading the box wasn't even possible. In addition, on most plays Utah State seemed to keep a couple of safeties deep.

I don't know where some of the comments about "loading the box" to stop the run are coming from.

Tennessee pretty much spread the field the whole game and loading the box wasn't even possible. In addition, on most plays Utah State seemed to keep a couple of safeties deep.

they sent lb's and safteties often and did it a bit with late switches, particulary sending blitzing lb's and safeties at Wolf and Hurd. First sack was a direct result.
I think what whomever meant was they were selling out and firing at gaps regardless of pass or play, which made it difficult for OL to get to the second level and if they aren't getting upfield we won't run well anyway.

The linebackers were bird doggin' against the run and were always in the hole before the running back or lead blocker. Also they consistently had 6 and 7 guys on every play selling out on the run. That's 1 or sometimes 2 more than we could account for based on formations.

VN Store

Back