'15 NC RB Akease Rankin

Are we recruiting this kid?

Akease Rankin@isthatkese 1h
University of Tennessee is blowing my mind, extremely impressed with the coaches, staff, players and facility 💯 #govols #vfl

That thread title. You've done it now. Run!

Edit: I fixed it.

Reactions: 5 people
I merged some posts from the no discussion thread and it kinda screwed up the OP. Sorry.

Akease Rankin's (Mooresville, NC) High School Football Stats

The best player on one of Mooresville's best teams is Rankin, who is thickly muscled and looks like a college upperclassman. It's hard to believe he's that same scrawny ninth-grader.

"Some of the older kids told me I wasn't good," said Rankin, who's gained 60 pounds since his freshman year. "A lot of people told me I wasn't the most athletic person and I was getting a lot of hate. I started trying to get better to prove to them that I could do this, I could be something more."

It started with 300 pushups and 300 sit-ups every night. Then it was running hills until his chest felt like it was about to explode. Then it was lifting weights every day for hours. Capps said Rankin is the hardest-working player he's coached in 30 years. He remembers how Rankin took a barbell with 185 pounds of additional weight from the floor to chest level, a power clean, 200 times.

"He wasn't going to stop," Capps said. "He doesn't have God's greatest gifts. He's not the fastest. He's not the biggest, but he will outwork you."

Rankin, 17, also is also motivated by his opponents. Last year, for instance, he was hit so hard against West Rowan that his helmet flew off and both his contact lenses popped out. He spent the offseason working harder to assure that doesn't happen again.

"I was determined to not be the receiver of that hit," he said. "I wanted to give it."

Mooresville High football captures community spirit | Region | The State

Reactions: 7 people
Maybe he's being recruited as a walk-on. I can't imagine offering him a scholarship with the already tight numbers lebvol is always talking about.

Reactions: 1 person
did this kid really tweet Rocky Reid and tell him he may be out of a job and UT wasnt big enough for both?

I remember a couple of years ago, some high school kid from New Mexico told his whole family and his whole high school that he had been offered a scholarship to Stanford. But Stanford had never heard of him.

This might be a similiar case here too.

I think CBJ has found one under the radar. His film shows me he is the kind of RB we want. A RB that is big and breaks tackles! I for one am tired of the SCAT Backs we seem to get every year while USCe & Georgia get the big run over your arse RB's.

Akease Rankin - Hudl

While I have no idea if the kid is actually being recruited by UT, people have to remember that just about any recruit can UOV UT. He could also tag along with a kid UT is actually recruiting. Never heard of the kid, but CBJ can be sneaky at times.

While I have no idea if the kid is actually being recruited by UT, people have to remember that just about any recruit can UOV UT. He could also tag along with a kid UT is actually recruiting. Never heard of the kid, but CBJ can be sneaky at times.

He could very well be someone that bUTch found, like he found Mosely. Mosely made huge progress in the summer and gained strength and size.

Remember, we recruited the running back from Texas , Ontario Smith, but his friend tagged along. His friend was D. Moore. Fulmer often joked with him and told him if it wasn't for your friend, you never would have been here. Fulmer found a diamond in the rough.

Remember how Sanders was in San Diego to recruit someone and he noticed A. Foster. A. Foster came but the other target didn't come to U.T.

Ya never know what a coach sees in a certain player that other coaches are missing.

I think the running back stable will be awfully crowded though. Hurd, Paulk, Scott, Kamara, Rankin. Two of them will end up being the odd men out.

He could very well be someone that bUTch found, like he found Mosely. Mosely made huge progress in the summer and gained strength and size.

Remember, we recruited the running back from Texas , Ontario Smith, but his friend tagged along. His friend was D. Moore. Fulmer often joked with him and told him if it wasn't for your friend, you never would have been here. Fulmer found a diamond in the rough.

Remember how Sanders was in San Diego to recruit someone and he noticed A. Foster. A. Foster came but the other target didn't come to U.T.

Ya never know what a coach sees in a certain player that other coaches are missing.

I think the running back stable will be awfully crowded though. Hurd, Paulk, Scott, Kamara, Rankin. Two of them will end up being the odd men out.

Smith was about 10 years before Moore. You're thinking of Lennon Creer.

I think the RB you're talking about was Lennon Creer out of Texas.

As I have said, I see no need at all for a 6th RB. That said, I hope we keep Kamara and Reid. I think both fit in well with UT needs right now. Use that 6th RB spot elsewhere. No way in the world is a 6th RB in 2 years the "best available" needs wise.

If Reid is concerned with UT still recruiting/offering RBs for 2015, I understand him wanting to look around. IMO kid is making a wise decision.

JMO

Last edited:
I think the RB you're talking about was Lennon Creer out of Texas.

As I have said, I see no need at all for a 6th RB. That said, I hope we keep Kamara and Reid. I think both fit in well with UT needs right now. Use that 6th RB spot elsewhere. No way in the world is a 6th RB in 2 years the "best available" needs wise.

JMO
Were keeping Kamara no matter what. He is a stud. Reid is the one who might be told to look elsewhere unfortunately...but hey I would rather use that spot on a position of need aka the OFFENSIVE LINE.

VN Store

Back