Stopping Gurley

ATLVols

How good of a job will we do with Todd Gurley this Saturday against UGA? I've been really impressed with the improvements in our defense this year. Our secondary is so much better and I think it's really helping our LB's to be more effective in the run game. I can't wait to see AJ Johnson light up Gurley. However, UGA's Gurley is one of the best RB's, so how do you think we'll stack up?

Id make em beat me passing. Will be a great test to our much improved defense. Have Randolph help out in run support maybe

Gurley is the key to this game, if we can stop him we have a good chance of winning, he is the heart of their whole offense. Their defense is suspect and so is their passing game.

8 in the box all day. Make Mason and those receivers beat you. Ends have to set the edge and keep Gurley and Chubb from bouncing it outside. If they do break contain, our corners have to be able to come up and make a tackle.

If we hold him to 115 yards on 20 carries with important stops in obvious run downs (3rd and 3 or less) we've done our jobs. No long touchdowns, and get off the field on 3rd downs. If we do that, we'll hold them under 28 points.

Reactions: 1 person
Feed him some bad chicken the night before.

Otherwise, tell AJ, Curt and JRM "go have some fun boys and don't let him past the line of scrimmage."

Gonna have to load up the box and stop up the middle.

He's dangerous on the edges as well.

Lock AJ onto him. Mason doesn't appear to pass as much so if you stop the run, our secondary should be able to shut down the pass threat.

8 in the box all day. Make Mason and those receivers beat you. Ends have to set the edge and keep Gurley and Chubb from bouncing it outside. If they do break contain, our corners have to be able to come up and make a tackle.

If we hold him to 115 yards on 20 carries with important stops in obvious run downs (3rd and 3 or less) we've done our jobs. No long touchdowns, and get off the field on 3rd downs. If we do that, we'll hold them under 28 points.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting. I think we will play well but he will get his yards. I think it comes down to getting timely stops.

How good of a job will we do with Todd Gurley this Saturday against UGA? I've been really impressed with the improvements in our defense this year. Our secondary is so much better and I think it's really helping our LB's to be more effective in the run game. I can't wait to see AJ Johnson light up Gurley. However, UGA's Gurley is one of the best RB's, so how do you think we'll stack up?

AJ excels when he plays a team that lines up in a I formation and tries to run it right at the defense. I expect him to have a great game on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Our LBs will be th toughest he has faced. Idk if this will help but I have faith in Thigpen and that group to control him not stop him

He's dangerous on the edges as well.

Lock AJ onto him. Mason doesn't appear to pass as much so if you stop the run, our secondary should be able to shut down the pass threat.

I would rather have JRM shadowing him. AJ doesn't have the speed to lock onto Gurley;however, JRM might be up to the challenge.

I agree with the first down post. Get them behind the chains and force Mason to beat us. If he has to throw 30 plus times we win. Offensively it's one thing. Protect Mr. Worley and we will throw all over them

AJ excels when he plays a team that lines up in a I formation and tries to run it right at the defense. I expect him to have a great game on Saturday.

I completely agree. I would pick AJ to win that battle almost every time.

I would rather have JRM shadowing him. AJ doesn't have the speed to lock onto Gurley;however, JRM might be up to the challenge.

For me it starts at the LOS. Once he gets past that, it's a track meet which many of our players would have problems with.

If they are content to open holes and run it up the gut, you can plug that with one of the LBs. If they hit the edges, JRM might be a better option. But the psychological presence of AJ right now could be very helpful. I mean, that's a scary dude stalking you on the other side of the line and after a good hit or two, will make you reconsider your role in life.

Or let Cam hit him like that receiver from OU in the first set.

Keep their offense off the field with long drives

Stack the box and run blitz

Sure tackles and good coverage by the corners

Last edited:
Every now and then the Vols stop the playmaker. Saturday is gonna be one of those days.

VN Store

Back