Telling Quote from the O-Line Coach in Practice.

Clockwork Orange

MAHONEY: "I don't think our group's confidence level is high right now. I tell them to block it all out. But they have to play better."

Doesn't give much hope for this week for those expecting better O-Line play.

Reactions: 1 person
They do hear it, but it still doesn't change the fact that we have to give Worley more time in the pocket. These guys are young and they are doing their best, but Ole Miss doesn't feel sorry that they are young, they will try to exploit it even more.

Reactions: 5 people
The D-line of Ole Miss is quick, experienced and strong. They can plant someone in the backfield in a hurry. Not a great week to look for a lot of improvement from our boys, IMO. Hope I'm wrong..

Former Vol O lineman T Teague talked about the position on Swain this morning. I urge everyone to check the podcast and listen to that interview.

Reactions: 2 people
MAHONEY: "I don't think our group's confidence level is high right now. I tell them to block it all out. But they have to play better."

Doesn't give much hope for this week for those expecting better O-Line play.

Not very good advice to the boys IMHO. They can't block anything.

Reactions: 21 people
film has exposed our O-Line, now we just have to play better...nothing fancy to it...but I don't see these guys giving up...so VolNation lets not give up on them..

Reactions: 11 people
film has exposed our O-Line, now we just have to play better...nothing fancy to it...but I don't see these guys giving up...so VolNation lets not give up on them..

Its not the players most of us are blaming for the terrible line play

I think some of the ones blaming the players are also the ones making excuse for the coaches

Reactions: 10 people
Confident or not.....at some point you to draw that line in the sand (man up!), and do YOUR JOB to the best of your ability!!! Don't repeatedly get MANHANDLED time and time again and blame it on a "lack of confidence".

Last edited:
They need to hear it..... I hope it pisses them off. I played OL. Play hard and smart. Work extra. Get better.... That should be the message. There is no excuse the way they have played up to this point. Some of that goes to youth but some of these guys have been around the program long enough and honestly are better atheletes than what they have shown up to this point. They need to get it together and take care of thier QB.....

And? Sometimes the other players are just physically stronger and no amount of technique would matter. Not sure how you can't understand that.

This is absolutely true if we were entering a weight lifting contest-but we're playing football! Technique DOES matter, calls and assignments do MATTER. Keeping your man away from your QB for 4 seconds-does not mean you must be stronger than they guy you're assigned to, or taller, or have a cooler tattoo, it means you use the TECHNIQUES your were coached (all the way back to HS) to control the line. Even if you're giving ground, you give it in a manner that buys TIME. If what I've just ranted about is false, then why do we have Oline coaches? If it just boils down to physical strength, then our school could save a lot of money, fire the Oline coaches and hire a couple extra coaches in the weight room.:crazy::whistling::hi:

And? Sometimes the other players are just physically stronger and no amount of technique would matter. Not sure how you can't understand that.

This is simply not true. If you will go back to Kiffin's year and remember they had the Sullins brothers blocking at C and G that weighed a grand total of 260 lbs. each. Played well enough to win 7 games and go to a bowl.

Technique matters greatly in a timing (Jones) offense no matter the size and strength.

This is absolutely true if we were entering a weight lifting contest-but we're playing football! Technique DOES matter, calls and assignments do MATTER. Keeping your man away from your QB for 4 seconds-does not mean you must be stronger than they guy you're assigned to, or taller, or have a cooler tattoo, it means you use the TECHNIQUES your were coached (all the way back to HS) to control the line. Even if you're giving ground, you give it in a manner that buys TIME. If what I've just ranted about is false, then why do we have Oline coaches? If it just boils down to physical strength, then our school could save a lot of money, fire the Oline coaches and hire a couple extra coaches in the weight room.:crazy::whistling::hi:

Be careful flyer. Someone on this thread will insist you join him on Jimmy Booger Cheek's expert coaching search committee.:)

I have said it before and I will say it again...name me ANY all-sec or all-american olineman in UT history..and I will show you how they were buried on the depth chart or red shirted for their freshman season.

Don't see how it is so hard to understand.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back