Butch Jones Monday Press Conference 10/20

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Live Now. Discuss.

(missed the intro)

QUESTIONS
-Worley and Jackson will be at practice. Not sure if Thomas will practice but expect all three to be available Saturday.

-Worley has been through a lot with not just sacks but hits. It's a cumulative effect.

-We're building a program and can't get caught up in the ups and downs. A lot of sleepless nights but as a leader you have to look if you're making progress. We are all disappointed because you play to win and it's a bottom line business --- you're measured on wins and losses. Have to be resilient. We are making great strides and great progress.

-As a team, we can't get caught up in external distractions but need to focus on getting better every day.

-Disappointed but encouraged. We'll get there. Proud of our players. Our guys are very prideful.

-Nobody has blinked. Nobody has flinched. We have to keep going.

-When things don't go your way, the little things are magnified. If we continue to play hard and invest in victory the ball will bounce our way and we will find a way to make plays. We're going to be fine.

-We thought we had a couple opportunities for interceptions where we had the right call on defense but didn't capitalize. But we have to create our own opportunities and that's how you win football games.

-(Lane Kiffin question from Adams). The game means everything to our program and our fans because its Alabama not because it's Lane Kiffin. Nobody on our team knows who Kiffin is, they weren't even here. If they are, they're worried about something that has no meaning on the outcome.

-(Have you ever met Lane?) No.

-On our offensive line, they have to make plays. Families in need help each other out. Other positions/players on the team can help by stepping up.

-The quarterback has a timing mechanism. We have to get rid of the ball. Sometimes Justin has to get rid of the ball. And it's not just the line, the backs and tight ends have responsibilities in protection also.

-We would like to limit the reps some of our guys get. On defense in a perfect world we'd like to have guys getting 40 reps but we have guys getting 80. Some of those guys are also getting reps on special teams.

-Jacob Gilliam is a warrior. His big thing is stamina and getting back his quickness. He's not there yet.

-We've talked about Josh Malone being more assertive and he played his best game to date and showed a little bit of his skill set. He works hard every day --- great character.

-It presents challenges with Hurd and Lane limited. Play calling isn't some magical cure. There's a human side and a lot of times it comes down to making plays. When we call plays we like to think players --- getting the ball into the hands of our playmakers.

-There are a number of SEC teams who are capable of winning the National Championship and we've played several of them.

-Cam is playing with great confidence right now. He wants the ball thrown at him in crucial situations.

-We talk about play calling, but football comes down to one-on-one matchups.

-We've missed Josh Smith immensely. He's a leader on and off the field. He's making progress and will start running this week. It's a longshot that he would be available this weekend. He's a playmaker for us and anytime you take a playmaker off the field it hurts. (Is a redshirt in play?) He'll play. That thought hasn't even been considered.

/end

Reactions: 11 people
Live Now. Discuss.

(missed the intro)

QUESTIONS
-Worley and Jackson will be at practice. Not sure if Thomas will practice but expect all three to be available Saturday.

-Worley has been through a lot with not just sacks but hits. It's a cumulative effect.

-We're building a program and can't get caught up in the ups and downs. A lot of sleepless nights but as a leader you have to look if you're making progress. We are all disappointed because you play to win and it's a bottom line business --- you're measured on wins and losses. Have to be resilient. We are making great strides and great progress.

-As a team, we can't get caught up in external distractions but need to focus on getting better every day.

-Disappointed but encouraged. We'll get there. Proud of our players. Our guys are very prideful.

-Nobody has blinked. Nobody has flinched. We have to keep going.

-When things don't go your way, the little things are magnified. If we continue to play hard and invest in victory the ball will bounce our way and we will find a way to make plays. We're going to be fine.

-We thought we had a couple opportunities for interceptions where we had the right call on defense but didn't capitalize. But we have to create our own opportunities and that's how you win football games.

-(Lane Kiffin question from Adams). The game means everything to our program and our fans because its Alabama not because it's Lane Kiffin. Nobody on our team knows who Kiffin is, they weren't even here. If they are, they're worried about something that has no meaning on the outcome.

-(Have you ever met Lane?) No.

-On our offensive line, they have to make plays. Families in need help each other out. Other positions/players on the team can help by stepping up.

-The quarterback has a timing mechanism. We have to get rid of the ball. Sometimes Justin has to get rid of the ball. And it's not just the line, the backs and tight ends have responsibilities in protection also.

(updating)

Thanks for the updates. Hope to see better results the next few weeks and squeeze into a bowl game.
Has Adams always been so negative towards UT? Why can't be ban him from UT activities? Did he not want to boucott the homecoming game?

Thanks for the updates. Hope to see better results the next few weeks and squeeze into a bowl game.
Has Adams always been so negative towards UT? Why can't be ban him from UT activities? Did he not want to boucott the homecoming game?

I am not particularly pleased with Adams, but your opinion is only one of many. Everyone, regardless of who they are has a right to an opinion. That being said you do not have to agree with them and nobody has to agree with you.

Reactions: 1 person
Adams is and always has been a tool. I believe he's angling for a gig as Finebaum's sidekick. My opinion, YMMV.

Reactions: 1 person
I was hoping he might admit to mismanaging the offense. Looks like no such luck, just more cliche non-sense.

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't expect him too

It would be disastrous for him to admit that at this point

Obviously I don't expect it either. However, the first step of recovery is accepting there is a problem. I'm afraid Butch's fault of being stubborn will be his ultimate undoing here.

Obviously I don't expect it either. However, the first step of recovery is accepting there is a problem. I'm afraid Butch's fault of being stubborn will be his ultimate undoing here.

This theme of stubborness has been adopted by some on this board. Can anyone so inclined please help me understand what/where/how is he stubborn?

Reactions: 6 people
I'm glad Worley is ok, but I think it is time to give someone else a shot. I've been a Worley supporter from the start, but he isn't making the decisions that can win us games on the field. I was hoping we might see Peterman this weekend. So now I'm a little bummed.

This theme of stubborness has been adopted by some on this board. Can anyone so inclined please help me understand what/where/how is he stubborn?

I love Butch Jones, but I think he is stubborn also. Football is about one on one match ups, this is true. But football is also about making adjustments, so that your opponents have a hard time preparing for you. When you do the same things over and over, and poorly I might add, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a game plan to beat you.

In life, a person has to make some changes in order to expect different results.

Reactions: 5 people
The line is having a had time but I do think that Worley needs to throw it away sometimes. He wants to make a play and holds it to long. That also gets him hit a lot more. Still think Butch is the man. No matter what the loud minority on this board say.

Reactions: 2 people
Hats off to Gilliam. Tough kid.

AJ and Sutton are playing like AAs. and are a big reason why our defense is playing pretty well right now.

Always has a blurb about what the defense could of done to make something happen. Let's just keep the emphasis on the offense, and call out why we are so terrible on that side of the ball. The defense is doing their part. Can't even ask anything more of them. They are playing their butts off

I love Butch Jones, but I think he is stubborn also. Football is about one on one match ups, this is true. But football is also about making adjustments, so that your opponents have a hard time preparing for you. When you do the same things over and over, and poorly I might add, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a game plan to beat you.

In life, a person has to make some changes in order to expect different results.

So if we can't execute the plays that we run all the time, what makes you think we will execute the special surprise type plays that aren't readily called? Bottom line, without a solid o line, any offensive scheme or play call will look amateurish. This group needs to learn to rush block and pass Block the basic plays before we start throwing extra burdens on them. And don't expect that to happen until next season.

Reactions: 10 people
Live Now. Discuss.

(missed the intro)

QUESTIONS

-It presents challenges with Hurd and Lane limited. Play calling isn't some magical cure. There's a human side and a lot of times it comes down to making plays. When we call plays we like to think players --- getting the ball into the hands of our playmakers.

-We talk about play calling, but football comes down to one-on-one matchups.

/end

I do wish Butch would say something about them working to get their guys in positions to win rather than quotes like these about play calling not being an answer/issue. He did come out and allude that Worley has some items he needs to address, other players too but no where in those quotes did I see allusions to play calling needing to step up.

Suppose he did. How would that help anything?

This. Butch is very calculated in what he says as all good coaches should be. Everything that comes out of his mouth has an impact on UT (current team and recruits) and his career. I expect coach speak at the podium. I also expect him to correct or at least account for our flaws as a team.

Reactions: 4 people

I understand exactly what you are saying. Hypothetically, what if our roster limit3d the adjustments we could make? If we are doing the same things over and over again with poor execution, how will our adjustments fare?

VN Store

Back