Oh no: Sacks A Bama Strength

Neyland Law Vol

Alabama's on pace for its most sacks of the Nick Saban era.

Lost amid the eye-popping numbers Saturday -- and there were a bunch of them -- was a milestone for the Nick Saban era. What makes it so impressive is how unimpressive it actually seems for a defensive-minded program that's won three national championships since 2009.

Alabama finished with six sacks against Texas A&M. That's never happened since Saban arrived in 2007. It hadn't happened since Sept. 7, 2002, when Alabama had six in a losing effort against Oklahoma.

Twelve different players have had a hand in the Crimson Tide's 19 sacks on the season, a total that ranks a modest fourth in the SEC but is just three shy of the 22 Alabama had all last season. If Alabama keeps this pace, it will make a run at the previous high under Saban, 35 in 14 games in 2012.

Four Downs: How sacks are helping Alabama more than ever under Nick Saban | AL.com

So our inexperienced young and now injured O line has to face the best sacking line in the Saban Era at Bama??? Why does every team we face have one of the best D-lines in the Country?

Could we possibly give up more sacks than last week? Will Worley make it out in one piece? :cray:

I have faith the O line will get in figured out in practice this week, enough to be respectable and keep Worley upright.

I don't think worley makes it through this one.

Given this, do you think CBJ should rest Worley so we can have him for the last four games - games where we actually have a shot to win???

Im not saying we should, but without Worley, this team probably misses a bowl game again.

Reactions: 2 people
Worley my have already had enough. i haven't heard his status for this game but this could get ugly. I hope these kids go out and have fun. Enjoy their time on field. Take the pressure off. Make football fun again. I just don't see any other way. As coaches...really, you KNOW what bam a is going to do. HAVE A GAME PLAN. I'm not saying you have to win, but at least have a game plan. I don't know what that would be, I'm not paid to figure it out.

Reactions: 1 person
This looks bad.

Of the 17 series in which Alabama sacked the opposing quarterback, 16 ended with no points. The only time an opponent came away with points was earlier this month against Ole Miss, as Bo Wallace followed a Xzavier Dickson sack with a 50-yard pass to Evan Engram and eventually connected with Laquon Treadwell for a touchdown.

Most of the time, opponents aren't even picking up first downs after sacks. All three of the first downs Texas A&M picked up after a sack came on the same possession.

Keep this in mind as Alabama prepares for Tennessee, which has surrendered 30 -- yes, 30 -- sacks this season. The next-worst team in the SEC has allowed 16.

Maybe we should start Peterman instead of Worley for this game. Peterman is much more agile and may can escape some pressure with his feet. Plus, if we really need Worley at QB to reach the 6 win mark, can we afford for him to get hurt vs Bama?

Maybe we should start Peterman instead of Worley for this game. Peterman is much more agile and may can escape some pressure with his feet. Plus, if we really need Worley at QB to reach the 6 win mark, can we afford for him to get hurt vs Bama?

I am actually in favor of this but don't think it will happen. A rest would be helpful to Worley in any case.

The wrap on his shoulder was visible underneath his shirt and warmup jacket.

Justin Worley again simply shrugged off the latest pain in a growing line of bumps bruises the Tennessee quarterback has had to endure through seven games this season.

The senior trotted to the Volunteers' sideline with a little less than seven minutes left of Saturday night's 34-3 loss at No. 3 Ole Miss after Rebels defensive end Marquis Haynes hit Worley and drove him into the turf, his body landing awkwardly on his shoulder, following a throw.

Hits keep coming for Tennessee Vols QB Worley | Times Free Press

...without Worley, this team probably misses a bowl game again.

Probably? There's no way this team goes to a bowl game even if he's 100%. We'll beat vandy and maybe uk, but I don't really see where that elusive 6th victory will come from. We'll have to pull some serious magic out of our @$$es against USCe and Mizzou.

Hate to say it, but this team is a lot closer to 4-8 than 6-6.

On a more positive note...we finally hit bottom.We are just about done reaping what Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley sowed for half a decade.

funny,i was thinking the same thing.after this game
we should have a chance in the rest of them

As soon as we get in FG range we should kick it. We will not be able to score TDs. Dead ass serious.

I don't know... Peterman seems to freeze up when pressured and just fold, but then again so does Worley... Lose/lose situation if you ask me

VN Store

Back