Tennessee Football is Dead Last...

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
in Red Zone Defense.

I came across this thread from 2 years ago http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/178007-tennessee-dead-last-120th.html where we were in a similar position, at the end of the Dooley years.
I decided to recheck it, since our defense has improved so dramatically. I expected to see us in the top half, but low and behold, as far as giving up points in the Red Zone, we are dead last. On top of that, we give up points 100% of the time in the Red Zone!!! On top of that, 69% of the time we are giving up touchdowns in the Red Zone.

This really has me thinking about the progress that our defense has made. This is the opposite of the 'bend don't break' mentallity. Our defense is amazing, until the opponent gets in the Red Zone. Unbelievable that we don't have 1 stop or turnover in that area.

Red Zone Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Well.... hopefully we are due for a couple huge red zone turnovers this week.

It's really strange considering that we are 8th in 3rd down defense. We are drastically improved all over the defense. Honestly the Defense has been victimized by our own offense. The D gets no rest and faces a ton of short fields to defend.

We are top 20 in total defense, 29th in scoring D. We are 5th in team tackles for loss. Lots to like about the D as far as ranking are concerned.

Even stranger is that our Red zone offense (!) is top 30 in the country! makes no sense.

Reactions: 7 people
sounds about right. turn it over in the red zone and can't get a turn over in the red zone = not many wins

Even stranger is that our Red zone offense (!) is top 30 in the country! makes no sense.

Yeah, I saw that, too! That speaks pretty highly of the offense (and kicker). Once we are in that position, we are able to execute.

Someone needs to send this to Butch Jones. I would be motivated as a coach, and motivated as a defensive starter to know that we haven't made 1 single stop.

Reactions: 1 person
So, better to be Ga St and give up 32 scores in 35 tries vs 16 in 16?
You can spin these numbers so many ways.

in Red Zone Defense.

I came across this thread from 2 years ago http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/178007-tennessee-dead-last-120th.html where we were in a similar position, at the end of the Dooley years.
I decided to recheck it, since our defense has improved so dramatically. I expected to see us in the top half, but low and behold, as far as giving up points in the Red Zone, we are dead last. On top of that, we give up points 100% of the time in the Red Zone!!! On top of that, 69% of the time we are giving up touchdowns in the Red Zone.

This really has me thinking about the progress that our defense has made. This is the opposite of the 'bend don't break' mentallity. Our defense is amazing, until the opponent gets in the Red Zone. Unbelievable that we don't have 1 stop or turnover in that area.

Red Zone Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Our defense is vastly improved, does really good things in some areas, especially with tackles for loss and 3rd down % conversions. However, we still have deficiencies, namely, we don't force turnovers, we don't score on defense, we still aren't consistently good at rushing the qb/ sacks and, as you pointed out, we're horrible at red zone D.

That being said, they're far and away the best unit on the team and they're good enough to win 8-9 games with even a decently competent offense.

Last edited:
So, better to be Ga St and give up 32 scores in 35 tries vs 16 in 16?
You can spin these numbers so many ways.

Whatever makes you feel better about not having 1 stop in the Red Zone. Glad you feel better to compare Tennessee football to Ga St.

When you have absolutely ZERO offense and routinely give the other team very short fields, this stat is no shock. I think the defense is doing about all they can to win.

I blame this stat soley on UTs sorry ass offense.........

Reactions: 9 people
What percentage of those scores came in the latter stages of the game after the defense had spent much of the game on the field? The defense has improved dramatically.

UT is allowing 21.3 ppg. That's 8 ppg better than last year. It is the best they've done since 2008. I feel pretty good that after Bama that number will improve... just a question of how much damage Bama will do to it.

FWIW, the defenses UT will have faced in the SEC after Bama are ranked 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 10th in scoring for an avg of 4.5. The last 4 are ranked 8th, 9th, 13th, and 14th for an avg of 11th.

The last 4 opponents' O's are ranked 9th, 10th, 11th, and 14th in scoring for an avg of 11th. The first 4 SEC opponents are currently ranked 1st, 6th, 7th, and 12th for an avg of 6.75.

There is a very steep drop off in opponents to finish the year. These will be an excellent tests of the improvements that are supposedly occurring that we can't see during games right now.

My EYE test is we use to get gash for 40 - 50 - 90 yard runs, now we are 3 and out.

Ole Miss game was 3 and out for the offense that gash the defense plays...short fields turnovers

We are doing great, just need to keep doing what we are doing...until the offense catches a break...

Whatever makes you feel better about not having 1 stop in the Red Zone. Glad you feel better to compare Tennessee football to Ga St.

That is an inherent issue with stats based off of percentages. We could still be last in the percentage of scores in the red zone if they only had 1 chance and scored on it. 1 out of 1 is still a 100% success rate. I am a little encouraged that the defense has only let the opposing team in the red zone 16 times in 7 games.

Reactions: 2 people
Through 7 games UT has allowed 17 plays of over 20 yds for an avg of 2.43 per game. Last year they allowed 4.08 per game. It was about 4.67 in '12.

Vols don't have enough bigs on the D-line to stop short yardage scores and CB's aren't aggressive enough at the line of scrimmage to stop passes.

All that matters is points allowed / PPG.

Points allowed through 7 games each of the last 3 yrs

2012 - 233 PA or 33 ppg
2013 - 189 PA or 27 ppg
2014 - 149 PA or 21 ppg

There's nothing wrong with this defense that a good OL wouldn't fix. UT's O doesn't keep the ball or score enough points. That's 90% of the problem with the D.

That is an inherent issue with stats based off of percentages. We could still be last in the percentage of scores in the red zone if they only had 1 chance and scored on it. 1 out of 1 is still a 100% success rate. I am a little encouraged that the defense has only let the opposing team in the red zone 16 times in 7 games.

Right on!

There's nothing wrong with this defense that a good OL wouldn't fix. UT's O doesn't keep the ball or score enough points. That's 90% of the problem with the D.

Very true. I hate how many times they have to defend the short field also.
Worn out and constantly put in bad positions, yet performing the way they have is about all we can ask.

VN Store

Back