Why do people think firing coaches is the answer?

VOLCLASSOF2014

I honestly think this is one of the dumbest trends of this generation. Hire a coach, if he's not winning 8 games by year 2 then fire him or he's on the hot seat for year 3. If he's not in the SEC championship game by year 3 then fire him. Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole there, but I don't get it. Now Dooley, you could see the obvious writing on the wall midway through year 3, maybe earlier, but as long as you're not seeing the team quitting and we're recruiting well, why would you even consider that? Yeah it may take 4 or 5 years but you'd be waiting that long or longer anyway if we fired our coach. I realize I'm probably talking to a small portion of the fan base, but still, it baffles me how anybody could be that stupid. Yeah, maybe we'll just have to suffer through this year, and wait til next year or maybe even 2016, but I don't see why people want to start all over again, and again, and again. Look at Mullen at Miss St and Spurrier at South Carolina. They got over that hump and it took longer than 2 or 3 years. Not all rebuilding jobs are the same. Unless we missed a bowl this year and next you won't hear me clamoring for Butch's head. Patience will pay off with this staff. Maybe an amendment or two needs to be made after next year, but give them a chance to get 2 or 3 classes of their guys first. GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 people
I honestly think this is one of the dumbest trends of this generation. Hire a coach, if he's not winning 8 games by year 2 then fire him or he's on the hot seat for year 3. If he's not in the SEC championship game by year 3 then fire him. Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole there, but I don't get it. Now Dooley, you could see the obvious writing on the wall midway through year 3, maybe earlier, but as long as you're not seeing the team quitting and we're recruiting well, why would you even consider that? Yeah it may take 4 or 5 years but you'd be waiting that long or longer if we fired our coach. I realize I'm probably talking to a small minority of the fan base, but still, it baffles me how anybody could be that stupid. Yeah, maybe we'll just have to suffer through this year, and wait til next year or maybe even 2016, but I don't see why people want to start all over again, and again, and again. Look at Mullen at Miss St and Spurrier at South Carolina. They got over that hump and it took longer than 2 or 3 years. Not all rebuilding jobs are the same. Unless we missed a bowl this year and next you won't hear me clamoring for Butch's head. Patience will pay off with this staff. Maybe an amendment or two needs to be made after next year, but give them a chance to get 2 or 3 classes of their guys first. GBO

Because they want a coach with a 0 in the loss column vs Florida/Georgia/Bama first year.

Reactions: 6 people
Apparently UT is the most amazing place that is so easy to step on the field and blow it up in year 2 against a tough SEC.

Reactions: 7 people
I honestly think this is one of the dumbest trends of this generation. Hire a coach, if he's not winning 8 games by year 2 then fire him or he's on the hot seat for year 3. If he's not in the SEC championship game by year 3 then fire him. Perhaps there's a bit of hyperbole there, but I don't get it. Now Dooley, you could see the obvious writing on the wall midway through year 3, maybe earlier, but as long as you're not seeing the team quitting and we're recruiting well, why would you even consider that? Yeah it may take 4 or 5 years but you'd be waiting that long or longer if we fired our coach anyway. I realize I'm probably talking to a small minority of the fan base, but still, it baffles me how anybody could be that stupid. Yeah, maybe we'll just have to suffer through this year, and wait til next year or maybe even 2016, but I don't see why people want to start all over again, and again, and again. Look at Mullen at Miss St and Spurrier at South Carolina. They got over that hump and it took longer than 2 or 3 years. Not all rebuilding jobs are the same. Unless we missed a bowl this year and next you won't hear me clamoring for Butch's head. Patience will pay off with this staff. Maybe an amendment or two needs to be made after next year, but give them a chance to get 2 or 3 classes of their guys first. GBO

I think most people that have said that don't really want it to happen. I think they get in the heat of the moment and just rant on the message board. Some people that say something negative about the coaches/team also say it because they lak intelligence or do not think muh of the vols anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
Because they want a coach with a 0 in the loss column vs Florida/Georgia/Bama first year.

And see that's not even realistic. Beating South Carolina last year wasn't very realistic, but we did. They may not be one of our hated rivals, but they were a darn good team. That's more than we got the last 3 years in year one. People will say, "Well Nick Saban this or Hugh Freeze that or look at Gus Malzahn..." That's stupid. Like I said, not every situation is the same. Not all success stories happen in the same amount of time.

Reactions: 3 people
J/K (so don't go all ape sh1t) Or atleast get Phil in to motivate these guys for tomorrow. If anyone can motivate lineman, I'm sure a bunch of VFL's would point to Phil.

I have a psychological reason that has to do with the misery loves company deal but don't want to go into it too deep. Though I will add, if you think about it, do you know any happy person that is ever in the "fire coach _____" bandwagon early in their careers? or do they tend to be people that surround themselves with or bleed negativity on a daily basis.

Reactions: 6 people
Wow, it's nice to agree with every post in a thread for a change. I say ditto to everything tht was said here.

Reactions: 2 people
But back to your thread, I don't think it's motivation this football team needs. I think it's offensive line/quarterback/play callers.

J/K (so don't go all ape sh1t) Or atleast get Phil in to motivate these guys for tomorrow. If anyone can motivate lineman, I'm sure a bunch of VFL's would point to Phil.

All for CPF being involved with the program... but Mahoney can either coach at an SEC level or he can't. Let him sink or swim on his own merit.

All for CPF being involved with the program... but Mahoney can either coach at an SEC level or he can't. Let him sink or swim on his own merit.

I love Coach Phil. we paid him 6 million for essentially nothing. So maybe he can pay it forward and coach the line for free.

Because it worked great at Oakland.
Honestly, not many have called for firings.
They have just said "This staff can't get it done"
That way, they can always say "Who said fire anyone?"

Reactions: 3 people
Because it worked great at Oakland.
Honestly, not many have called for firings.
They have just said "This staff can't get it done"
That way, they can always say "Who said fire anyone?"

We should see soon if they can right?
I have seen a wide spread in expectations from this year to 3 years from now. That's where I've seen the biggest divide.

Why? Because the UT Admin has a long history of throwing down the big money to bring in a proven commodity...oh...wait.

Why? Because we're UT!!! and we think whomever the coach is can make miracles like he's Jesus. If the one we got can't do it, surely the next one can.

Why? Because everyone knows that stability can be achieved running off coaches every three years, players love learning new systems, especially systems they weren't recruited to play in.

Why? We love the misery of a fresh start, rinse and repeat?

We should see soon if they can right?
I have seen a wide spread in expectations from this year to 3 years from now. That's where I've seen the biggest divide.

Yeah, I expect improvement at year 3 and big wins at year 4 myself...
Really sucks if it's the wrong hire but that is about what it takes.
Cherry picking a program, that did it sooner, here and there is popular but not the norm.

So op you are saying that tn equals miss state n sc?? They have never won an sec championship n I think they have only been once to sec cg each since 92...;

We are not them and we should expect a coach to win 50% of his games in yr 2 n 75 to 80% n yr 3.. Oh but wait no way any coach could come in win 80% of his games by yr 3. It has to be fools fault..

Progress is expected n then championships.. N not take 10yrs..

Y'all do know UT has a long and storied history of winning, right? If Butch starts winning, he can stay and become a legend. If Butch doesn't start winning he goes the way of his most recent predecessor. No wins, less attendance, less money, bye-bye. Wins, full attendance, more money, Butch "gets it".

If he has assistant coaches that keep him from accomplishing the wins, bye-bye. Just like any job. We all know Butch will get at least 4 years to get it going right.

Right now we got a go getter and one hell of a recruiter in CBJ. There is not a coach on the planet that will do everything right or make every decision a great one. But I think Butch will do whatever is necessary to get us to where we want to be. I also think if he feels we need to go in a different direction on offense, he will make the correct choice and do whatever is necessary to get the job done. People say he does a lot of coach speak, but I think that's what our team and fan base needs at this time. Some of our fragile fans couldn't handle the truth. Several on here already know the deal. We are gonna take our lumps this year and Butch knows it. Insert line woes, young team, no game changing qb, etc. But I do have faith and I also trust the fact that Butch is all in. I just wish all the fans were as allin on the VOLS as he is. Go VOLS!

VN Store

Back