This offense works with the right QB

Aesius

I think tonight might have proven it.

Dobbs is the right fit, but last year he wasn't even close to being ready. Butch probably didn't think he was ready this year, and he might still not be at the level the coaches want.

But it's clear that with him in the game, defenses respect his ability to run, and that changes everything, as does his willingness to escape pressure.

Bajakian's play calling still isn't perfect, but I think we can stop freaking out about him being completely incompetent now.

If Dobbs had played a little better in fall camp, he starts from day one this season and we're probably ranked right now, or smiling proudly about our big win against Florida at the very least.

Reactions: 20 people
I don't care if he throws a pick in every game going forward. Having him run opens up so many plays and makes defenses respect everyone on the field. I see no downside of playing Dobbs the rest of the way.
Other than the end of the game when we were forced to throw it we steadily moved the ball.

Reactions: 3 people
I for one am very proud of how our offensive line done and very happy about how dobbs played…if we keep it going with him and keeps progressing watchout we going bowling! !!!!!! #GBO . #PROUDVOLFAN

Reactions: 2 people
He needs to work on his accuracy, but overall he played well. He also had a couple of drops or his numbers would have looked even better.

I hate to say it but now that his redshirt is gone he needs to start the rest of the season even if Justin is healthy. If CBJ has 2 years left to prove something the Dobbs needs to take his lumps now. Besides it was refreshing to see something other than sacks and interceptions

Talent, smarts, pocket presence, poise, and leadership .... well done Josh Dobbs. Although our boys lost, they were gritty and determined and showed the promise we'd all hoped to see earlier. Vol pride is back, and perhaps we might yet earn a trip to a bowl game.

Reactions: 4 people
It opened it up for Hurd too. Lane also ha a big run. Running game is 1000 times better with a real read option threat.

Reactions: 7 people
The coaches should have started him from DAY ONE. He can do more than Worley--we saw that LAST YEAR. It was stupid not to play him from the start of this season. He's lost a half year of experience because the coaches couldn't see what was obvious. He can roll out, he can scramble, he can run the ball--and he throws it as well as if not better than Worley. It should have been a no brainer.

Reactions: 3 people
The coaches should have started him from DAY ONE. He can do more than Worley--we saw that LAST YEAR. It was stupid not to play him from the start of this season. He's lost a half year of experience because the coaches couldn't see what was obvious. He can roll out, he can scramble, he can run the ball--and he throws it as well as if not better than Worley. It should have been a no brainer.

I actually thought this too.

After he beat Kentucky last year, I thought he had locked up the starting position heading into this season.

I DEFINITELY thought he was the starter after his play in the Spring game. He looked awesome.

But then all those reports came out about how bad he looked in practice, and he actually did look horrible on video.

Not sure what clicked, but it looks like he has turned the corner. I just hate that we only have him for two full seasons after this.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually thought this too.

After he beat Kentucky last year, I thought he had locked up the starting position heading into this season.

I DEFINITELY thought he was the starter after his play in the Spring game. He looked awesome.

But then all those reports came out about how bad he looked in practice, and he actually did look horrible on video.

Not sure what clicked, but it looks like he has turned the corner. I just hate that we only have him for two full seasons after this.

Two seasons is a lot of ball.

Realistically, by the time Dobbs came in, Bama players thought they had us beat and were not as intense as they were earlier this season. We made them look very average after the first quarter but they showed up when we got within 10 points. I agree Dobbs brings another element that we really need to keep teams on their heels at times. I also feel better about '15 after tonight, too!

GO VOLS!!!!

Realistically, by the time Dobbs came in, Bama players thought they had us beat and were not as intense as they were earlier this season. We made them look very average after the first quarter but they showed up when we got within 10 points. I agree Dobbs brings another element that we really need to keep teams on their heels at times. I also feel better about '15 after tonight, too!

GO VOLS!!!!

Oh, come on man. Why give Bama even more credit?

They wanted to stomp the hell out of us in our own stadium. They weren't letting up that much.

Reactions: 5 people
Team chemistry is one of those elusive factors. One or two personnel changes and the whole team can change its demeanor almost immediately. The OL completely responded to Dobbs tonight. They looked seasoned and confident. It was like night and day compared to previous games.

I don't think Dobbs throws the ball as well as Worley but his ability to run works much better in this offense. We should be very competitive in the rest of our games with a good chance to go to a bowl.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if knew this season would be a sacrificial lamb of sorts with the o-line and freshmen. I think they were trying to get away with saving Blair and Dobbs for the coming years where all the pieces will be there so long as we could make a bowl game.

He needs to work on his accuracy, but overall he played well. He also had a couple of drops or his numbers would have looked even better.

For a kid who hadn't taken a snap all season, to come in and do what he did against THAT defense, I'd say he did more than play well. He missed a few throws but that should improve as he knocks the rust off. Hopefully his ability to run now gives Hurd many more lanes to run through as well.

Oh, come on man. Why give Bama even more credit?

They wanted to stomp the hell out of us in our own stadium. They weren't letting up that much.

His running didn't fit what they prepared for.
I liked Dobbs tonight but let's see how he does when teams are ready for him before we get too excited.

I'm hoping he continues to do well but have a wait and see attitude.

VN Store

Back