Clay Travis says

lonelawyer

Clay Travis was on the sports animal last hour and said that successful coaches typically make a huge leap from year 1 to year 2. He then went on to say that if Butch Jones does not win 3 out of the last 4 games this season he might not be the answer. Do you agree?

Last edited:
Clay Travis was on the sports animal last hour and said that successful coaches typically make a huge leap from year 1 to year 2. He then went on to say that if Butch Jones does not win 3 out of the last 4 games this season he is probably not be the answer. Do you agree?

Yes and no. Will he take heat, and deservedly so? Yes. Next year is his year. If we struggle to make a bowl game again, he will not be the answer.

Reactions: 21 people
I will agree that Nashville drive time radio has been more pleasant to listen to now that he's gone and not trying to stir up 'good radio'. Like above.

Reactions: 48 people
Hard to improve when ten of twenty teams you have played were top ten when you played them.

UT is an interesting situation. I don't know if Butch is the guy or not, but he has a quite the rebuild ahead of him, whether people want to admit it or not.

Reactions: 48 people
not all of those coaches took over the disarrayed program Butch took over and I'd venture to guess that none of them have had to play the schedule that we have had to play the last 2 years.
It's easy to look like a champ in a chump conference in yr 2. Not so much when playing multiple top 10 teams.

Reactions: 41 people
It was said all off-season on here. A lot of posters pointed to Butch's year 2 records as reason for hope. Not very sound reasoning, IMO, as all situations are different.

Yes and no. Will he take heat, and deservedly so? Yes. Next year is his year. If we struggle to make a bowl game again, he will not be the answer.

Unless of course year 4 would have been his year as his recruits mature and they would have been capable of competing.

But then again, UT fans are apparently becoming comfortable with the coaching carousel. I suppose it makes for interesting chat board conversation. Coaching changes also make great subjects for sportswriters. They love the drama.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Clay Travis was on the sports animal last hour and said that successful coaches typically make a huge leap from year 1 to year 2. He then went on to say that if Butch Jones does not win 3 out of the last 4 games this season he might not be the answer. Do you agree?

this isn't always the case, Spurrier at USCe hovered around the .500 mark for his first 5 years. He's a pretty successful coach in my book.

Reactions: 6 people
Unless of course year 4 would have been his year as his recruits mature and they would have been capable of competing.

But then again, UT fans are apparently becoming comfortable with the coaching carousel. I suppose it makes for interesting chat board conversation.

Some are comfortable with losing and excuse making

Reactions: 7 people
He also said arky didn't count because their program was in real trouble when the coach arrived. Not sure where he thought ours was.

Reactions: 8 people

I wish Clay Travis would take a huge leap into the Cumberland. He's still butthurt his boy toy went to Penn State.

Reactions: 12 people
Hard to improve when ten of twenty teams you have played were top ten when you played them.

UT is an interesting situation. I don't know if Butch is the guy or not, but he has a quite the rebuild ahead of him, whether people want to admit it or not.

I called for 6-6 and a bowl game this year.

Next year should be a bit better, 8 wins(before a bowl game) is a resonable expectation.

His 4th year is where I see the biggest jump happening.

Just my :twocents:

Reactions: 5 people

Just curious and not trying to be a smartass...... But, what makes Clay Travis an authority on all things college football other than watching a lot of it? I know he wrote On Rocky Top and that other book but they have nothing to do with the Xs and Os.

Reactions: 2 people
I called for 6-6 and a bowl game this year.

Next year should be a bit better, 8 wins(before a bowl game) is a resonable expectation.

His 4th year is where I see the biggest jump happening.

Just my :twocents:

I agree with all of this.

I think it raises questions. Now, before being flamed, I want to make it clear that I think Butch needs around four years, barring any catastrophes.

I am not as optimistic about the end of this season. So, I think it is very likely we end up with another losing season. I hope I am wrong, but the team has not shown the ability to beat anybody of relevance to this point of the season, and I think Butch's inability to commit to a QB is a problem.

Nevertheless, now is not the time to panic and pull the plug on the coach. Given the dumpster fire left by Dooley, Butch needs the opportunity to get his players into the program and see what they can do.

That's the dumbest d@mn thing I have heard all day (other than the raging Peterman conspiracy on the Dobbs threads).

Nick Saban was at Michigan State how long before he won 9 games?

Maybe in some cases this is true, but there are numerous examples where it's not.. Hell it took Majors how many years to turn it around here? Mullen has been at Miss State how long and only been mediocre until this year?

Reactions: 3 people
Clay is praying that Tennessee somehow tanks the rest of the season and even loses to Vanderbilt. The worse we are, the more crap he can talk about the coach and fans and the more clicks he gets.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back