Media Picks on UT and UK games

volgrad500

The Oracle of Orange
ESPN selections this week are interesting. They unanimously picked UT to lose, despite vegas having the game at less than a TD.

Even more telling is that 6 out of 7 picked UK to beat Mizzou on the road! (Vegas has UM favored by 7.5).

Before totally dismissing them, here are their records on the year, and they are pretty damn good:

Standings
Edward Aschoff: 64-11
Greg Ostendorf: 64-11
Jeff Barlis: 63-12
Chris Low: 63-12
David Ching: 62-13
Alex Scarborough: 61-14
Sam Khan Jr.: 57-18

When was the last time UK would have been picked to win on the road?? In my mind SCAR should be considered the hardest remaining game we have. Am I overlooking UK because they have historically been our #$%#?

Uk has improved greatly. They kept up with the #1 team in the country last week and beat a down south carolina team at home. I still think we will beat them, but a winning record in a big improved season makesthem the darling pick of the sec east. Mizzou has been too unpredictable as well.

Before totally dismissing them, here are their records on the year, and they are pretty damn good:

Standings

You don't have to be Nostradamus to pick the Georgia-Troy and Alabama-Florida Atlantic winner. Those records are very inflated based on games that are no-brainer picks. I'd be more interested in seeing their records against the spread.

That said, I don't think anyone should think this SC game is going to be a cakewalk. Not only will they be determined to avenge last year's loss, but it's in Columbia, and their offense is spectacular. I suspect Spurrier will continue to make bold calls going for it on 4th & whatever. His defense is atrocious. If you know the D is going to give up points regardless, you might as well go for it.

I have hope that we can win, but won't be easy.

Reactions: 2 people
Going to be very windy which may limit SC's passing game especially the deep ball they like so well. Think this game will be lower scoring then most expect and may play out similar to last years with the team that makes the big plays late wins.

we have played most everyone close until ole miss.. but until we get over that hump, and win the close one.. they are correct to pick against us.

I think it is mostly mental.. like the florida game... we had that game wrapped up.. was 9-0 starting the fourth quarter.. then they put in a freshman back up QB.. and for some reason the mental **** took over and we let them have the game... basically handed it to them on a silver platter.

Reactions: 1 person
Probably because they haven't followed UT football since the OU game, Tennessee is not even close to being relevant for the national media unless we are playing a highly ranked team. They look at the piss poor offensive performance that has been put on display this year and probably think SC defense will suddenly wake up. I doubt they even know who Josh Dobbs is or even care really.

Why wouldn't the media predict us to lose? We are currently a bottom feeder in the SEC East with the likes of Vandy. Need to start winning some games before the media starts predicting favorable outcomes for the Vols.

I really like Jones, but if we lose to Kentucky this year, Jones' record will be eerily similar to Dooleys this far with a loss to Vandy last year and Kentucky this year...

Why wouldn't the media predict us to lose? We are currently a bottom feeder in the SEC East with the likes of Vandy. Need to start winning some games before the media starts predicting favorable outcomes for the Vols.

I don't understand why people do not realize this. We have only had 3 years with a winning record since 2005.

To be fair (and I hate espn) 5 of those 7 guys predicted we would break through with a win over Florida. That game was a golden opportunity to restore some national relevancy, and we blew it. Since then, we have continued being a nobody in espn's eyes.

When was the last time UK would have been picked to win on the road?? In my mind SCAR should be considered the hardest remaining game we have. Am I overlooking UK because they have historically been our #$%#?

Against a good team? I'm guessing 2007 when they went into Columbia, SC ranked as the #8 team in the country. They lost that game, then beat #1 LSU at home the next week.

That was the year when UT beat them in 4 OTs.

UT and KY on their way up to the top of the SEC East, and UF on their way back down to their early 80's teams.

I sat in the in Neyland Stadium in 1984 and watched a Florida running back, Neal Anderson put in one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen by a running back. He racked up 178 yards rushing that day against my beloved Vols.

You don't have to be Nostradamus to pick the Georgia-Troy and Alabama-Florida Atlantic winner. Those records are very inflated based on games that are no-brainer picks. I'd be more interested in seeing their records against the spread.

I was going to say exactly this. These records actually aren't very good at all. I would like to see a game by game list of their predictions.

The best record is 85% correct. If 70% of the games were easy picks, then they would be 50/50 on the remaining games.

Of course I'm sure less than 70% of the games are gimme picks, but the point is that their records are very misleading. Record ATS is the only way to get a good idea of how well they're picking.

Mizzou played bad against Vandy, but of course so did we. I understand them picking UK after last week. If we come out with the same offense we will beat mizzou. But we dont even have a single player on the team who has ever won a true road game.

As for UT, I don't get it. They have a legit shot to beat a bad USCjr team with UT's good defense.

I can honestly say no one knows which Carolina team will show up nor do they know whether Dobbs will play like he did versus Bama. You have to base your opinion on a larger sample size and most of those games were with Worley at QB.

I know the media and a lot of fans are down on UT but on paper this looks like a win. We match up very well with Carolina's strengths.

We can easily win every game on our schedule.........we can also lose every game on our schedule. Yes, even Vandy if we have injuries in the wrong spots.
(Says Captain Obvious)

I think UK will beat Mizzou... because Mizzou really is that bad.

I think UT will beat USCe... for basically the same reason.

ESPN selections this week are interesting. They unanimously picked UT to lose, despite vegas having the game at less than a TD.

Even more telling is that 6 out of 7 picked UK to beat Mizzou on the road! (Vegas has UM favored by 7.5).

Standings

Their record of picking games straight up is fairly meaningless. A monkey could pick the winner in most games.

I sat in the in Neyland Stadium in 1984 and watched a Florida running back, Neal Anderson put in one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen by a running back. He racked up 178 yards rushing that day against my beloved Vols.

I remember that as well. Those '84-'85 UF teams were very, very good.

I can honestly say no one knows which Carolina team will show up nor do they know whether Dobbs will play like he did versus Bama. You have to base your opinion on a larger sample size and most of those games were with Worley at QB.

I know the media and a lot of fans are down on UT but on paper this looks like a win. We match up very well with Carolina's strengths.

I agree but actually think we do know that Dobbs will be fairly consistent. His completion avg last year including his first playing time vs Bama (41.7%) was 59.5%. Versus Bama this year he was 59.4%. That indicates significant improvement since NONE of those D's were on par with Bama.

In his first 4 starts last fall, he had 5 INT's and no TD's. Versus UK last year and Bama this fall, he had 2 TD's in each game to go with an INT. His INT vs Bama this year was not a "terrible" throw or chance to take. It was at a point in the game where taking more risks were justified. He took a shot at North being able to fight through coverage and make a play on the ball. AFTER the ball was thrown, the DB made contact and impeded North allowing the S to come over the top and make the pick.

Another thing worth mentioning is that USCe is DEAD last in the SEC in sacks with 8 to go with being 13th in total D. They're 12th in INT's and 13th in fumbles forced. They're dead last in tackles for loss (UT is first).

In just about every way you can measure the USCe D... they're bad.

but..but..but... Bama let off the gas. You really didn't see what you saw with Dobbs and the Vols offense.

VN Store

Back