Dooley's recruiting wasn't as bad as you think.

1standgoal

In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunter, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

Reactions: 4 people
*Insert highly opinionated, angry comment claiming OP lacks mental fortitude and must have genetic/legal connection to Derek Dooley*

Reactions: 4 people
notsureifserious.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
I disagree. His recruiting was worse than we give it credit for.

Compare his recruiting to CBJ, who has a 2-3 year personnel plan and recruits to fit his system/needs. I have no reason to believe Dooley's recruiting was anywhere close to that sophisticated. We would get to Nov/Dec with barely any commitments and then it seemed like he would just take whatever 3*+ guys would give a verbal.

Reactions: 11 people
In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunter, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

Tbh with you Kiffins staff signed Fulton,Simms,Bray,Jawuan James and he also done alot of the grunt work to flip Hunter and Rogers.

Reactions: 9 people
Correct me if I'm wrong (as if that needs saying on VN) but didn't Lane bolt 2 weeks before NSD in 2010?

Therefore, wasn't he largely responsible for the 8 NFL players in Dooley's first class? Yes, Dools had to hold on to them, but he really can't be given credit for their recruitment.

Take that class away from him and examine his accomplishments again. Mediocre at best, at the school with the largest recruiting budget in the nation. Not to even mention his failure to target specific areas of weakness.

AV

Reactions: 10 people
What roster is Da'Rick is on?

He signed with Dools first class but credit goes to Kiffy boy since he recruited him the majority of the time he was here. Same goes for Hunter. Hunter and Da rick was going to be NSD surprises for Kiffins staff

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if that needs saying on VN) but didn't Lane bolt 2 weeks before NSD in 2010?

Therefore, wasn't he largely responsible for the 8 NFL players in Dooley's first class? Yes, Dools had to hold on to them, but he really can't be given credit for their recruitment.

Take that class away from him and examine his accomplishments again. Mediocre at best, at the school with the largest recruiting budget in the nation. Not to even mention his failure to target specific areas of weakness.

AV

Exactly. I dont give Dools credit for those 8 players at all

Reactions: 1 person
He signed with Dools first class but credit goes to Kiffy boy since he recruited him the majority of the time he was here. Same goes for Hunter. Hunter and Da rick was going to be NSD surprises for Kiffins staff

Oh, i know. My question is what NFL roster is he on?

So what your saying is Dooleys best year recruiting was his first when all the recruits were started by Kiffin. Good argument. How about the year he signed ZERO offensive lineman? Yeah that was the best strategy this program has ever seen! Come on. His recruiting would have been amazing had he been still at La tech however he was in the SEC. You have to be great not mediocre or you will get the product we have fielded for the last 6 years!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think the problem was overall talent, it was the neglect of certain positions...........Every year you try to fill immediate needs, but you also have to try to add quality depth to the other positions. A good recruiting coordinator assures that is done every year. In all fairness, it seems to take a good 2-3 years of good recruiting to start to turn a program around, but there are a lot of variables.

Last edited:

He definitely did sign some talent. His classes were ranked pretty well (between 9th and 17th on Rivals). His biggest mistake as a recruiter was failing to sign a SINGLE offensive lineman in the 2012 incoming class, which is KILLING us this year!

Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Derek Dooley was also responsible for the plethora of kids whom which are getting culled from the roster as we speak. Guys like Crump, Blanc, Propst, tugboat, etc. shoud have never come close to signing with UT. They were "filler" guys. Our defense under Dooley resembled Kentucky's defense week before last. Small, slow, unable to tackle in space, and completely desemated in one on one matchups.

Reactions: 3 people
He recruited well enough to never lose to Vandy or Kentucky yet he did.

Probably recruited well enough to beat Miss St in coming off a bye and terrible Mizzou in 2012 too, yet he did.

End of the day he was just a terrible coach. He instilled a losing mentality in his teams that CBJ seems to be flushing away.

Dooley deserves credit for Justin Hunter in that 2010 class, but that's it. I think a few of those guys were early enrollees (Bray's the only one I remember for certain) so Orgeron not persuading them to skip class the next morning had more to do with their recruitment than Dooley did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back