The Official Tennessee @ North Carolina State Game Thread, 7:00pm ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Tennessee Volunteers: 4-3 (0-0 SEC)

derek-reese-armani-moore-ncaa-basketball-butler-tennessee-850x560.jpg

@

North Carolina State Wolfpack: 8-2 (1-0 ACC)

29x7V.AuSt.156.JPG

7:00 PM ET, December 17, 2014
PNC Arena, Raleigh, North Carolina

Line: UT +5.5
O/U: -

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: N/A
Online: WatchESPN

Give Tennessee a season-best three-game win streak.

Make the Vols 5-9 against teams coached by Mark Gottfried.

Make Tennessee 102-85 all-time against current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Give the Vols their first true road win of the Donnie Tyndall era (in their first attempt).

This is the second of four games Tennessee will play in a nine-day span.

This is also the first true road game of the Donnie Tyndall era.

UT outscored Butler 42-21 in the second half of Sunday's win.Tennessee ranks fourth in the nation in fouls per game (24.1).

The Vols rank second in the SEC and 40th nationally with 13.7 offensive rebounds per game.

Junior guard Kevin Punter is coming off a career-high 18 points in UT's win over Butler.

Reigning SEC Player of the Week Josh Richardson ranks fourth in the SEC in scoring (16.6 ppg), fifth in steals (2.0 spg) and third in minutes played (34.7 mpg).

Junior forward Armani Moore owns a team-best plus/minus rating of +5.70 per 40 minutes and is UT's top rebounder.

For us to win this game I feel like we'll need someone to step up and help with the scoring load like Punter did last game. Richardson cant do it all by himself. We need a good start to the game, we cant be playing from behind most games and expect to win many of them.

The four returning veterans on this team won two games in the NCAA tournament in this arena last year. It is familiar to them! They can help calm down the newbies!

ESPN has our RPI at 74 and NC State at 62. Winnable game. NC State favored by 5.5.
This game is very winnable. NC State really hasn't beat anybody worth noting. I think the line may be a little to high at 5.5. I also don't see how their RPI is better than ours.

Last edited:
More worried about getting pushed around inside, and them controlling the glass than I am them beating us from three. They got 3 bigs that go for 6'8 240, 6'8 250 and 6'9 295.

Hoping for little payback from last yr, but this is a tough matchup for us imo. GBO

Reactions: 1 person
Game day! Another big opportunity for a good road win! I think if we win tonight we will head into conf play at Mississippi state 9-3. Would be a very successful non conf record based on this teams makeup, coaching staff, and the schedule we have played!

Reactions: 1 person
If we play defense like we did against Butler in the second half, I think we win.

I would love to see us play a solid 40 minutes; no big lulls in either half.

And of course, rebounding.

Has anyone else noticed how we have one really good half and one bad half. Most of the time the first half is ugly and then we come out at halftime and play much better. For example: Down 34-25 in 1st half of butler and then we outscore them 42-21. Is it a sign of good adjustments at halftime or is our team identity a second half team?

More worried about getting pushed around inside, and them controlling the glass than I am them beating us from three. They got 3 bigs that go for 6'8 240, 6'8 250 and 6'9 295.

Hoping for little payback from last yr, but this is a tough matchup for us imo. GBO

We need to turn this into a track meet to win. 20+ turnovers and around 12-14 fastbreak points. We cant handle them as well in the halfcourt.

Would be nice to see Mostella and Hubbs get involved tonight. Like 10 points between the two. We know we can count on richardson and punter.

VN Store

Back