The One Thing Tyndall has Mastered

calban

One thing I really liked about Tyndall when he came here was his understanding of scheduling.
He showed this his last two seasons by having his team positioned in the RPI rankings for seeding at tourney time.
Unfortunately he lived in a one horse conference.

Even at 5-4 and this early in the season he has this young team positioned for a bubble run or better, sitting currently at RPI 64.
Why? Look at the SOS. Who would have believed this young team would have survived the 8th toughest schedule in the country.
Repeat: SOS #8.
Win the next 3 games and you'll hold that going into conference play.
Just a game over .500 SEC run will give these guys a Bubble shot. An upset or 2 along the way and you dance.
Your thoughts.

Reactions: 14 people
One thing I really liked about Tyndall when he came here was his understanding of scheduling.
He showed this his last two seasons by having his team positioned in the RPI rankings for seeding at tourney time.

Even at 5-4 and this early in the season he has this young team positioned for a bubble run or better, sitting currently at RPI 64.
Why? Look at the SOS. Who would have believed this young team would have survived the 8th toughest schedule in the country.
Just a game over .500 SEC run will give these guys a Bubble shot. An upset or 2 along the way and you dance.
Your thoughts.

Hopefully he takes after Pearl. He was the absolute best at that.

Reactions: 5 people

Your thoughts.

Unfortunately he can't control the SEC, only playing Florida and Kentucky once means our SOS is gonna drop like cement in an ocean over these next 3 games and then into SEC play. I don't see us being a bubble team if we are 18-12 heading into the SECT, I think we would likely have to win at least 2 and possibly even 3 games in the SECT for us to even be in the conversation. It's why that Nc State game was so big, only chance at a OOC road win that would've really boosted our RPI, committee puts a lot of stock into road wins.

Rpiforecast has 18-12 at a projected 64 RPI, and that late in the year itll be hard to budge it much. I think they've gotta win these last 3 to be 8-4, and go minimum 11-7 in conference to have a 19-11 (11-7) record headed into the SECT, projected RPI of 52.

Reactions: 4 people
Unfortunately he can't control the SEC, only playing Florida and Kentucky once means our SOS is gonna drop like cement in an ocean over these next 3 games and then into SEC play. I don't see us being a bubble team if we are 18-12 heading into the SECT, I think we would likely have to win at least 2 and possibly even 3 games in the SECT for us to even be in the conversation. It's why that Nc State game was so big, only chance at a OOC road win that would've really boosted our RPI, committee puts a lot of stock into road wins.

Rpiforecast has 18-12 at a projected 64 RPI, and that late in the year itll be hard to budge it much. I think they've gotta win these last 3 to be 8-4, and go minimum 11-7 in conference to have a 19-11 (11-7) record headed into the SECT, projected RPI of 52.
Not sure about Florida even being in the conversation.
If they don't pull off a win against Uconn before conference, they'll pushing mud to climb from 100 while we're supposedly sinking.
Do agree. NC St was huge. We'd be in the 40s.

I'm not saying this should happen, but you could realistically say that we could hit a 10 game win streak, starting last night, do that and obviously the chances of making the dance go up drastically. We very well may be favored in the next 9 games, gotta take advantage of that and use that momentum.

Last night:
Vs. Tennessee Tech

Upcoming:
Vs. Mercer...should absolutely win.
Vs. Tennessee State...ditto
Vs. East Tennessee State...ditto
@ Mississippi State...yes it's on the road, but MST is baad
Vs. Alabama...at home against an average opponent
Vs. Arkansas...will be toughest game in stretch, but typically Arkansas is bad on the road, make it a hostile crowd
@ Missouri...definitely a winnable game, Mizzou will have a tough year
@ South Carolina...I get its away, but again, it's against a beatable opponent
Vs. Texas A&M...ride the momentum and beat another average team at home

And Then @ Arkansas which IMO we will not be favored and will likely be a loss.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure about Florida even being in the conversation.
If they don't pull off a win against Uconn before conference, they'll pushing mud to climb from 100 while we're supposedly sinking.
Do agree. NC St was huge. We'd be in the 40s.

Florida still with a projected RPI of top 40, this is typical Donovan, he's making points and teaching lessons early on, by January they'll be the typical Florida imo

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not saying this should happen, but you could realistically say that we could hit a 10 game win streak, starting last night, do that and obviously the chances of making the dance go up drastically. We very well may be favored in the next 9 games, gotta take advantage of that and use that momentum.

Last night:
Vs. Tennessee Tech

Upcoming:
Vs. Mercer...should absolutely win.
Vs. Tennessee State...ditto
Vs. East Tennessee State...ditto
@ Mississippi State...yes it's on the road, but MST is baad
Vs. Alabama...at home against an average opponent
Vs. Arkansas...will be toughest game in stretch, but typically Arkansas is bad on the road, make it a hostile crowd
@ Missouri...definitely a winnable game, Mizzou will have a tough year
@ South Carolina...I get its away, but again, it's against a beatable opponent
Vs. Texas A&M...ride the momentum and beat another average team at home

And Then @ Arkansas which IMO we will not be favored and will likely be a loss.
I'd expect Arky to be improved on the road. Watched them trim SMU at their place. Can't get more hostile than that crowd.
If we could pull that one off, it would really help.
I just don't see it happening for Donovan this season.
I haven't seen them play an impressive game yet.

Reactions: 1 person
The NC State loss hurt a lot IMO. Tennessee went 2-3 against OOC Power conference team and even more hurtful to the resume 0-3 in road and neutral site matchups. Win one of those games against nc state Marquette or ku and I'd be feeling a lot better

did tyndall even make this schedule or was it cuonzo?

Basketball schedules aren't set that far in advance. We had to finish the home and home with NC State, so that was already set. We were probably already in the Old Spice, so that was set. However, I think Tyndall got us VCU, Butler, and the other home "buy" games. Let's hope TN Tech wins their conference or plays well. The key to a good schedule is the mid majors that you play have very good seasons and also play tough schedules.

We need to stay healthy. If we lose another post player to injury it will be hard to win some games. Need some recruits in 2016 for post depth. I think Tyndall is going all in with Ado. Hope he doesn't miss. Dude is a perfect fit.

I'd expect Arky to be improved on the road. Watched them trim SMU at their place. Can't get more hostile than that crowd.
If we could pull that one off, it would really help.
I just don't see it happening for Donovan this season.
I haven't seen them play an impressive game yet.

Arkansas has lost 2 games, both on the road, one to Iowa State and the other to Clemson who is pretty bad. The SMU game was a nice win and will look good, but SMU was missing multiple players that game and Arkansas barely won, they may be improved on the road but still gonna struggle IMO.

The NC State loss hurt a lot IMO. Tennessee went 2-3 against OOC Power conference team and even more hurtful to the resume 0-3 in road and neutral site matchups. Win one of those games against nc state Marquette or ku and I'd be feeling a lot better

We beat Santa Clara on a neutral site

I believe the SEC numbers are much stronger this year, at least that is what I heard in a radio interview. The teams have played better schedules and have some wins. I know Ole Miss has a couple of nice wins, South Carolina beat Okie State and Clemson, LSU has a win over WV, Arkansas has a couple of nice wins. So, I don't think there will be too many conference teams over 125 that will hurt.

Basketball schedules aren't set that far in advance. We had to finish the home and home with NC State, so that was already set. We were probably already in the Old Spice, so that was set. However, I think Tyndall got us VCU, Butler, and the other home "buy" games. Let's hope TN Tech wins their conference or plays well. The key to a good schedule is the mid majors that you play have very good seasons and also play tough schedules.

The VCU game was set up prior to Martin leaving

I believe the SEC numbers are much stronger this year, at least that is what I heard in a radio interview. The teams have played better schedules and have some wins. I know Ole Miss has a couple of nice wins, South Carolina beat Okie State and Clemson, LSU has a win over WV, Arkansas has a couple of nice wins. So, I don't think there will be too many conference teams over 125 that will hurt.

There's more bad losses than good wins IMO...

Mississippi State to Tulane, Oregon State and Arkansas State
Auburn to Tulsa, Coastal Carolina and Clemson
Missouri to UMKC
Ole Miss to Charleston Southern and Western Kentucky
Vanderbilt to Rutgers
LSU to Clemson
South Carolina to Akron
Arkansas to Clemson

There's 5/14 league teams projected to be over a 100 RPI, those would all be considered bad losses, league might not be quite as bad as last year, but it's another 3 bid league most likely this year, maybe 4.

There's more bad losses than good wins IMO...

Mississippi State to Tulane, Oregon State and Arkansas State
Auburn to Tulsa, Coastal Carolina and Clemson
Missouri to UMKC
Ole Miss to Charleston Southern and Western Kentucky
Vanderbilt to Rutgers
LSU to Clemson
South Carolina to Akron
Arkansas to Clemson

There's 5/14 league teams projected to be over a 100 RPI, those would all be considered bad losses, league might not be quite as bad as last year, but it's another 3 bid league most likely this year, maybe 4.

Teams are still going to have some bad losses because we still aren't a great league. But the current RPI numbers for most SEC teams are very good. Sure, they will change, but it is an improvement. All I am saying is it is better than year's past. There will be chances for solid road wins in conference.

Teams are still going to have some bad losses because we still aren't a great league. But the current RPI numbers for most SEC teams are very good. Sure, they will change, but it is an improvement. All I am saying is it is better than year's past. There will be chances for solid road wins in conference.

I'm not sure it could've been worse, and right now we are projected to play 3 top 50 RPI teams on the road, Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina (who I doubt ends up as top 50).

Your thoughts.

Tennessee can win some games in the SEC because the league has only one good team. I believe Kentucky will go undefeated in the SEC this year with all the talent they have.

I'm not sure it could've been worse, and right now we are projected to play 3 top 50 RPI teams on the road, Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina (who I doubt ends up as top 50).

I don't worry about projections. I still haven't found anyone that can predict the future. A top 100 road win is a solid win. Playing South Carolina or Georgia or LSU at 55 or 75 is much better than at 125 or 145. The conference as a whole is better. Don't care if I win this argument or not.

I don't worry about projections. I still haven't found anyone that can predict the future. A top 100 road win is a solid win. Playing South Carolina or Georgia or LSU at 55 or 75 is much better than at 125 or 145. The conference as a whole is better. Don't care if I win this argument or not.

I agree the conference is better, like I said it's near impossible for it to be worse, just saying it's not as if winning 9 or 10 games is gonna lock you into the tourney, and it's not like there's a ton of opportunities on our schedule.

The committee doesn't classify a solid win as a top 100 win on the road, the classify a good won as a top 50 win, and bad loss as a sub 100 loss. Marquette needs to be better than expected, that one could come back to hurt is a bit along with Nc State.

You don't have to win it. You're currently correct.
Incidently we've already exceeded projections (games) for this team.
Just need to get in a groove and finish.

VN Store

Back