Complete Effort Earns Complete Victory

VN News

It was the game Holly Warlick had been looking for out of her team all season long. And it came at the best time for the Lady Vols on Saturday.

More...

Stanford is young and inexperienced, this win really tells us nothing about our team.

Stanford is young and inexperienced, this win really tells us nothing about our team.
Boy you never give us any credit. For weeks now people have been saying, Let's see how we do against non cupcakes. Well they beat Rutgers and Stanford. Holding each to a total of 45 and 40 points. You are a fan who will clearly never give Holly or this team any kudos for playing a great game and executing a clear defensive strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Boy you never give us any credit. For weeks now people have been saying. Let's see how we do against non cupcakes. Well they beat Rutgers and Stanford. Holding each to a total of 45 and 40 points. You are a fan who will clearly never give Holly or this team any credit

Chris I have to give it to the girls that defense is awesome. I think we still need to find a consistent shooter, I am so proud of that defense. It was tenacious. So far so good against non Cupcakes. Now we need to pray for an offensive leader. The only negative I saw today is we really need more of a consistent point than Massengale. I am having a hard time getting comfortable with her in that position. Boy was she hot today or what?

Chris I have to give it to the girls that defense is awesome. I think we still need to find a consistent shooter, I am so proud of that defense. It was tenacious. So far so good against non Cupcakes. Now we need to pray for an offensive leader. The only negative I saw today is we really need more of a consistent point than Massengale. I am having a hard time getting comfortable with her in that position. Boy was she hot today or what?

Massengale ran very little point today. It was mostly Jordan. As a playmaker, Ariel hasn't been as good as she was her first three years. I think it might be because she's the only scoring threat of the 4 guards so far, so that's causing her to rush. For the season so far, she's been solid. Good shooting % all around. She needs another guard to provide scoring support. Middleton did not look good today, with her shooting or decision making. Reynolds and Carter still can't shoot, and Carter in particular is a liability on offense, but was very important defensively today.

The best they can hope for is that Ariel continues to play at a high level, and either Carter or Reynolds find their shot. Until that happens, it will continue to be hard for Izzy and Bashaara to operate in the low post.

a distinct improvement which is good....

Stanford, though, shouldn't be the bar we shoot for....

defense was good and was the catalyst for other developments which led to the win.....

good job keep it going

Reactions: 1 person

Check the rosters of both teams for all the ones who played. It might be surprising. I enjoy the majority of your posts, but this one..not so much.:hi:

I am ecstatic for our win today. Maybe the lady vols are growing up and developing some killer instinct. This win will only help in our confidence.

Reactions: 3 people
I do not want to get too over-hyped over this victory but if we can build upon what I saw today, we are still in this thing. Hopefully Santa will deliver us some offense. Our next game against OSU will be interesting. I think they are still undefeated. I watched them beat North Carolina University at NCU's place. However, before that game let us digest what happened and enjoy the victory.

This was a nice win: the defense was excellent, and the offense was improved. But this is not a good Stanford team--maybe the worst I've ever seen, really. They surely caught Ct. on a bad night--they'd lose by 20 to Ct. now on a neutral court. UT fans have to be encouraged by the tough defense. And offensively, we played pretty smart for a change--moved the ball, passed it reasonably well. Our success as a team will hinge on how well the coaches can develop /consistent/ scoring from players not named Harrison. Massengale made some threes today--and she absolutely has to. Carter has got to become a more confident shooter: She's got nice form, and we need her to score more as she's our best perimeter player. Burdick has a nice spot-up shot, and she, too, needs to shoot fairly well. Our coaches should spent the next month focused on building the offensive confidence of everybody--because our offense remains sketchy, and in the end our shooting will determine how far we go in the tournament.

Beating a top 10 team is a pretty big deal, and beating Stanford is always a marquee W. Gotta eat my words about the intensity (or lack thereof) from earlier in the year -- they came to play today. If they can learn to play that well for 40 minutes against every comer, they'll be there in March. Great job by Holly and her staff. This may the biggest/best win of her tenure to date, just a bit ahead of Scarolina last year. Have to tip the hat to it.

Boy you never give us any credit. For weeks now people have been saying, Let's see how we do against non cupcakes. Well they beat Rutgers and Stanford. Holding each to a total of 45 and 40 points. You are a fan who will clearly never give Holly or this team any kudos for playing a great game and executing a clear defensive strategy.

Dang Straight! After Wichita St, the conventional wisdom on this board was that the LVs were doomed against Stanford. Now it's "eh, well Stanford sucks!"

The LVs defense made Stanford look bad. Anyone who is not encouraged by the performances against Rutgers and Stanford is well why bother following the team?

I can't wait to see the inevitable "well, that was a win but we STILL MUST FIRE HOLLY" thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good game against a Ho Hum Stanford, very young team. The defense was exceptional and I hope it continues. The offense looked like a really well oiled machine with people doing what I haven't seen a lot of this year, taking shots they could make and not trying to do what they cannot. My hope is that this roller coaster team will remain at the peak and not start to play in the lows of this ride.
rollercoaster-rush-icon-1.jpg

"I'm ready to go anywhere now," Warlick said. "I'll enjoy going anywhere. I will tell you this, it motivated our kids. Ariel Massengale said, `I'm tired of going home and not being in a good mood.' So they took that slogan and ran with it. It's awesome."

I don't have one negative thing to say about this win, I liked so much about it, esp that when the team got up on Stanford, they didn't let up. But I've got to say that this is the worst slogan I've ever seen, LOL! Still, if that's what works ...

I don't have one negative thing to say about this win, I liked so much about it, esp that when the team got up on Stanford, they didn't let up. But I've got to say that this is the worst slogan I've ever seen, LOL! Still, if that's what works ...

Agreed. Holly needs to hire a sloganeer assistant. I was not that crazy about "grind for nine" but it was better than okay team, don't make me grumpy....

Is this our first top 10 win out of conference since Holly has been the coach?

yes stanford beat uconn.... i do think that game, for those who saw it was more about uconn losing it than stanford winning it..... ever since uconn has looked like a totally different team.....

but yes standford did win...... i loook for a higher bar..... this win is a good start

Credit is given when its earned. Those are nice wins outside the Top 10 (Stanford is ranked top 10). I mean, I said nice wins. You have your standards, I have my own.

I thought both wins against Rutgers and Stanford was solid, we were suppose to win those games but I did like the effort, defense and rebounding.

But come on now Stanford is not that good, and if you want to believe that win is all that, fine. We beat Stanford...woohooo.

Personally, I think the Rutgers win was more impressive, they were a veteran team.

And if you were to read my posts,I do both (praise and critic) but the truth is Stanford is young and inexperienced.

Nice win, cos its Stanford but they didn't have the athletes to challenge our players.

I believe defense and rebounds wins Championship with good guard play, until our guard play picks up,or we see consistency or wins against top 10 or 5 opponents.

That play ok, we make it to the sweet sixteen maybe, we play for Championships, do I enjoy the wins, yes I enjoy all of them but we still have a lot of work to do.

I am high achiever, I have high standard, that what has allowed me to be successful, that's why I love Pat.I wont apologize for my view being different and for my standards being high. Nice win ladies, we beat team that has owned us for past three years.

So yes, I'm happy but Stanford had no low post threat, none.

I don't get high or low, I stay pretty consistent with my views and or opinions.

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

Last edited:
Maybe you should read all my post before you quote me or simply ignore me, if you don't like my posts.

VN Store

Back