Jabari McGhee Update

VolnJC

MISSING MCGHEE

While Tyndall continues to hint that Jabari McGhee’s season is likely finished — the freshman forward injured his foot on Dec. 17 and hasn’t played since — a clearer update on the situation won’t arrive until “the end of next week.”

To date, McGhee has played in just eight contests, making him a likely medical redshirt candidate if his injury doesn’t improve.

“I really don’t want to use that kid’s year unless we have to,” Tyndall said in regards to burning the potential redshirt if McGhee does return. “I just think he’s going to be a good player for us down the road. As well as recruiting is going right now, I’d just like to probably save him as we move forward.”

Reactions: 1 person
How long will it take to get him in good playing condition? How many more games would he help win if he comes back? Probably none so RS makes sense.

Donnie Tyndall mentioned in a post game interview that he wants Jabari to be a "key piece in our national championship".

Reactions: 4 people
How long will it take to get him in good playing condition? How many more games would he help win if he comes back? Probably none so RS makes sense.

Your first question is the key. IMO it would likely take him a few weeks after he is allowed back to get anywhere near the kind of shape he needs to be to play.(the only way he seems to know how, which is ba11s out)

And by then the season would likely be almost over. I think they should ease him back into everything. Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Given the opportunity, I believe that CDT will be able to deliver on his goal of bringing a "National Championship" to Knoxville. IMO, Tyndall gives an impression of coaching stability similar to CRM and CDD. Mears was handicapped by the fact that the NCAA only invited 16 teams to the tourney during his years and DeVoe was plagued by the lack of competitive facilities which deterred his recruiting effectiveness.

Given the opportunity, I believe that CDT will be able to deliver on his goal of bringing a "National Championship" to Knoxville. IMO, Tyndall gives an impression of coaching stability similar to CRM and CDD. Mears was handicapped by the fact that the NCAA only invited 16 teams to the tourney during his years and DeVoe was plagued by the lack of competitive facilities which deterred his recruiting effectiveness.

The NCAAT also didn't seed the teams during the Mears era and early in the Devoe era.

MISSING MCGHEE

While Tyndall continues to hint that Jabari McGhee’s season is likely finished — the freshman forward injured his foot on Dec. 17 and hasn’t played since — a clearer update on the situation won’t arrive until “the end of next week.”

To date, McGhee has played in just eight contests, making him a likely medical redshirt candidate if his injury doesn’t improve.

“I really don’t want to use that kid’s year unless we have to,” Tyndall said in regards to burning the potential redshirt if McGhee does return. “I just think he’s going to be a good player for us down the road. As well as recruiting is going right now, I’d just like to probably save him as we move forward.”

I wonder what he means by that.....do we have some good surprises headed our way?

That would be great also if he is right....Recruiting is my main concern with CDT but he does seem to have a decent eye so far.

Too early to tell imo, Mostella has disappointed at least to me, Baulkman has shown flashes but overall I expected a little more, Owens has provided next to nothing and he was the highest rated of our posts. Carmichael has also shown flashes but I honestly expected more with all the talk preseason, but maybe that's my fault, McGhee had been the most impressive but obviously the injury ruined that one. Chiles hasn't even been able to get on the court so I'm not sure you can really even give a grade on that one.

I don't think, and this is JMO, that any of his guys he's brought in would I say "oh, he's definitely got a future NBA guy there, what a find"...I think his system just allows guys that can play ball to move around, get comfortable, and when they are hot is able to find them.

We are going to lose our best player, and we lost a top 50 recruit in Woodson who was on the roster, going into next season we will have 2 top 150 players on the roster by my count, that would rank dead last in the SEC iirc.

Too early to tell imo, Mostella has disappointed at least to me, Baulkman has shown flashes but overall I expected a little more, Owens has provided next to nothing and he was the highest rated of our posts. Carmichael has also shown flashes but I honestly expected more with all the talk preseason, but maybe that's my fault, McGhee had been the most impressive but obviously the injury ruined that one. Chiles hasn't even been able to get on the court so I'm not sure you can really even give a grade on that one.

I don't think, and this is JMO, that any of his guys he's brought in would I say "oh, he's definitely got a future NBA guy there, what a find"...I think his system just allows guys that can play ball to move around, get comfortable, and when they are hot is able to find them.

We are going to lose our best player, and we lost a top 50 recruit in Woodson who was on the roster, going into next season we will have 2 top 150 players on the roster by my count, that would rank dead last in the SEC iirc.

I think he walked into an absolute mess here at Tennessee......if he had found bonafide NBA guys then I would not have any concerns about his recruiting at all. Im looking more at potential while still getting enough out of the guys to be competitive. I think Mostella looks like an absolute future stud in the making.

He may not get it done recruiting but he has shown me enough that I think he will. If he doesn't then it will be time to move on to the next guy.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he walked into an absolute mess here at Tennessee......if he had found bonafide NBA guys then I would not have any concerns about his recruiting at all. Im looking more at potential while still getting enough out of the guys to be competitive. I think Mostella looks like an absolute future stud in the making.

He may not get it done recruiting but he has shown me enough that I think he will. If he doesn't then it will be time to move on to the next guy.

Was the roster ideal? No, but I don't think the program was a mess at all. He's got a huge fan base to sell, some of the best facilities around, and one of the only programs in th country that been to the sweet 16 what was is 3 times in the last 8 years or something? You look at what Pearl has coming into auburn, Buzz has coming into VT, Wojo has coming into Marquette...none of those were ideal scenarios that they took over, all 3 are struggling this year and likely will miss the NCAAT a like Tennessee, but all 3 are loading up with talent going forward.

We were far from a top 25 class in 2014, even further now in 2015, maybe he will get there in 2016, but judging by your past comments I'm not sure you agree that 1/3 top 25 classes is good enough to get the job done. No?

Last edited:
We were far from a top 25 class in 2014, even further now in 2015, maybe he will get there in 2016, but judging by your past comments I'm not sure you agree that 1/3 top 25 classes is good enough to get the job done. No?

I definitely feel that we consistently need to get top 25 classes to get the program where we need to be. Im willing to wait and see the progress he shows before I call for his firing.....Right now he is coaching better than I thought he would.....I am pleased with his first recruiting class, Im not happy with his second class so far but will critique further when it is finished and I see them on the court. His third class has a good player committed and I am confident it will be a top 25 class.

BTO, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Well, this is what usually happens with a lot of people on here (VN)....They hear about someone before they ever hit the court, run with what "THEY" say about that player and get let down when the player hit the court and does not produce what you heard. People have to stop listening to others about how a player play and just simply WAIT until they hit the court! This was a new experience for these young men. Some players have to get adjusted to playing in the BIG LEAGUE. That is why most teams play their more experienced players and let the freshman play just a few mins. However, DT just didn't have that opportunity this year. NEXT YEAR SHOULD BE THE YEAR OF JUDGE AND JURY! LOL! With that being said, WE do not know who may develop and become the star next year and possibly a NBA star in later years. Therefore, maybe we should just wait and see what the 2015-2016 team will bring!!! BTW: I KNOW IT'S JUST YOUR OPINION! LOL! I just had to bother my buddy...BTO! :crazy:

Was the roster ideal? No, but I don't think the program was a mess at all. He's got a huge fan base to sell, some of the best facilities around, and one of the only programs in th country that been to the sweet 16 what was is 3 times in the last 8 years or something? You look at what Pearl has coming into auburn, Buzz has coming into VT, Wojo has coming into Marquette...none of those were ideal scenarios that they took over, all 3 are struggling this year and likely will miss the NCAAT a like Tennessee, but all 3 are loading up with talent going forward.

I thought the last guy was running our program into the ground.....if I start to feel that way about CDT then I will want him gone as well....no coach is bigger then the program and our fans need to stop being so short sighted in our goals. There is no reason we cant aim big.

VN Store

Back