The Texas A&M Postgame Report

cncchris33

Sorry for the late post. Busy weekend, and even busier Monday. As we know by now, Vols lose at home 67-61. Not a terribly unexpected loss, but we gave one away that we probably expected to win looking at our schedule. We are now 3-0 on the road, and only 1-2 at home in SEC play.

The Good...
1. Kevin Punter seems to have found his stroke. Was 5-7 from 3 on Saturday, and is 9-13 from 3 over the past three games.

2. Hubbs scored effectively, but had 4 TOs that hurt. 12 pts and 4 rebs helped keep us in the game and he came uo with some timely scores to keep the game close.

3. Fatigue appears to be catching up with JRich. Still a solid all-around performance, but another uncharacteristic poor shooting game, and he is missing those mid-range shots that effortlessly have gone down in the past. 12 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts, 1 stl, 2 TOs.

The Bad...
1. We didn't get much from our posts. Reese had a decent statistical performance; 5 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assts, 2 stls, 1 blk. However, he was 2-7 shooting, and we need better than that from his position. Armani was 2-9. A combined 4-16 shooting, and 1-6 from 3. Those two should almost never shoot that many 3s.

2. A&M beat us up inside. 22 DRebs allowed for almost no 2nd chance opportunities, and were it not for 11 3s, we get rolled in this game. 34-27 rebounding differential.

3. We allowed A&M to get to the middle on us too often, and it led to some easy looks. That is the way to attack a zone, and they exposed it several times. Points in the paint: A&M 30 - TN 10.

4. Willie Carmichael is giving us nothing right now. Last 5 games: 8 total pts, 7 total rebs, 7 total TOs, 15 total fouls. The kid is just plain lost right now, and it doesn't look like it will get better this season. He has hit a mental wall.

5. We didn't create enough (any) TOs to lead to easy buckets. We had 0 fast break points to their 10.

Bottom Line...
I have to say I'm proud we didn't mail it in when it got to 17 pts. This is a young team, and A&M isn't awful. We didn't play well for long stretches of both halves, and A&M (though unspectacular) capitalized. We have to defend our home court in these 50/50 games though. Alabama and A&M, we should have won at least one of those games. It just makes stealing one later from LSU, Arky, or Florida a makeup for that loss instead of a bonus win. Our NCAA road (however unlikely) got tougher with this loss.

Reactions: 3 people
A very winnable game. These things happen sometime though. We can't lose many more of these toss up games.

Number 3 is the most concerning for me. If we don't find some way to get him some rest then it is going a long last of the season. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Seems to me that when the defense that we're using clearly wasn't working, perhaps it would have been a good idea to show them different looks. I would rather clog up the middle and take a chance on them getting some outside looks. But I'm obviously not the coach so I'll just have to see what Donnie does in the future. I really do like him as a coach, but I did find that a little curious.

Seems to me that when the defense that we're using clearly wasn't working, perhaps it would have been a good idea to show them different looks. I would rather clog up the middle and take a chance on them getting some outside looks. But I'm obviously not the coach so I'll just have to see what Donnie does in the future. I really do like him as a coach, but I did find that a little curious.

The Donnie Zone in it's structure brings different looks. I can't tell if it's a 3-2 or a 1-2-2 or a 1-3-1 or a switching man-to-man or a triangle and two. I think he makes some kind of change on just about every possession if it's not effective.

The Donnie Zone in it's structure brings different looks. I can't tell if it's a 3-2 or a 1-2-2 or a 1-3-1 or a switching man-to-man or a triangle and two. I think he makes some kind of change on just about every possession if it's not effective.

I suppose you're right. I just got tired of them getting layups and us NOT getting layups :)

I suppose you're right. I just got tired of them getting layups and us NOT getting layups :)
Texas A&M attacked the middle/top of they key, then we would have to collaspe, then they'd kick it to Corruso who would
1. Shoot the 3 and somehow hit it
2. Drive it and pass the ball to someone slashing.

Honestly, theres not much you can do when you scout the other team's PG and he's only made 7 3s all year, and hits 3 against us.

Maybe someday we'll beat Texas A&M our sweet 16 team lost to the twice and they got us again at home this year. Some teams just don't match up very well against and A&M is one of those that we can never figure out. Seems it is always Corruso making all the big plays for them when they play us.

Maybe someday we'll beat Texas A&M our sweet 16 team lost to the twice and they got us again at home this year. Some teams just don't match up very well against and A&M is one of those that we can never figure out. Seems it is always Corruso making all the big plays for them when they play us.
It was Antwon Space last year, ye know, the 25% 3 pt shooter hahaha.

I think you mean 2-3. I don't think I've ever seen us run a 3-2.

1-2-2, 3-2... about the same thing.

Some differences, but they are similar. 3-2 definitely concedes more of the middle/FT line area. We certainly don't have the size inside to concede the paint to about 90% of teams.

Point being, you didn't even mention a 2-3, which is our base defense. That is why I thought you likely meant 2-3 instead of 3-2.

Some differences, but they are similar. 3-2 definitely concedes more of the middle/FT line area. We certainly don't have the size inside to concede the paint to about 90% of teams.

Point being, you didn't even mention a 2-3, which is our base defense. That is why I thought you likely meant 2-3 instead of 3-2.

I thought the base tended to have a point defender. But it's so fluid it's hard for me to tell. All zones these days tend to have guys on the perimeter. Way back before the 3-point line the zones were set up to clog the lane. I also mention a triangle and 2, but it's more like the opposite of that (and also no double team)... the "triangle and two" reference that I made refers to what I see as more like two guys down low with three on the perimeter kind of playing a switching man-to-man... so really not a triangle and two at all. I always just call it a Donnie Zone because it's too hard for me to define it. Point is, that's the defense he always seems to run and I can't see him ever completely switching out of it. Maybe if he had more options off of the bench he would match up in a straight msn-to-man at times, but with this roster we'd have a bad matchup somewhere. Also, Donnie will change it up with how far it is extended... usually never a hard core full court press, but a lot of token pressure on the ball coming up the court to burn time off of the 35 second clock. I've never studied it but I understand that Pitino runs something similar (but with a deeper, more athletic roster).

And you rarely see a triangle and two at all these days, but there are two versions. Double team one guy or go man-to-man on two guys. Box and one is pretty rare now too.

The 1-3-1 has evolved too. The low 1 doesn't run the baseline anymore from what I've observed. Now the wings follow the ball to the corners minus the trap with the low 1. The 1-3-1 has almost turned into a 1-1-3. I'm not sure if anybody runs the baseline anymore since three point shooters will camp out in the corners.

And you rarely see a triangle and two at all these days, but there are two versions. Double team one guy or go man-to-man on two guys. Box and one is pretty rare now too.

Don't think we have used a triangle and 2. At least I haven't seen it.

Don't think we have used a triangle and 2. At least I haven't seen it.

As I said, I didn't really mean a triangle and two in a traditional sense. No, TN does nothing like a triangle zone with a double team or two man-to-man defenders.

As I said, I didn't really mean a triangle and two in a traditional sense. No, TN does nothing like a triangle zone with a double team or two man-to-man defenders.

We double team the short corner and deny the wing players on the ball side when the double team occurs. When I met with coach T he said 80% of the time when the ball goes short corner it goes back out to the same side which is why we deny. We don't double anywhere else in the half court.

Not arguing with you just stating what I know.

We double team the short corner and deny the wing players on the ball side when the double team occurs. When I met with coach T he said 80% of the time when the ball goes short corner it goes back out to the same side which is why we deny. We don't double anywhere else in the half court.

Not arguing with you just stating what I know.

What is the short corner? Does that mean the double team happens on the side with the ball, but they won't necessarily double up the other corner if there is a skip pass to the other side of the court?

What is the short corner? Does that mean the double team happens on the side with the ball, but they won't necessarily double up the other corner if there is a skip pass to the other side of the court?

Short corner is halfway between the corner and the low block on the baseline. When you attack a zone with a "High-Low" set you run one post to the short corner and another post/slasher to the high post.

Short corner is halfway between the corner and the low block on the baseline.

Thanks. Just googled it... never hear Bob and Bert use that terminology for that area. But Bob also calls 8 footers 15 footers and 25 footers 35 footers.

Now I'm going to try to understand what CDT was talking about.

VN Store

Back