Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

VOLorNuttin

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

Reactions: 7 people
Or them knowing that it is a hire that makes absolutely no sense.
I would think they (Big Donors) would know as quickly as Hart, himself, would. Why? Cause they very well may be the ones asked to foot the bill.

TAM is throwing down crazy money for MAJOR stadium renovation, and then they went big offering Chavis NFL coordinator money ($1.7mill?). The AD likely doesn't have that kind of cash laying around. Some BIG money donors had to step in and fund all of that.

Reactions: 1 person
The big money donors don't know much about football they just enjoy watching it.

They don't have a say who he hires as OC. Why does anyone listen to that fool?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
The big money donars don't know much about football they just enjoy watching it.

I agree here. Donors will receive calls and be asked if they care to "support" HC hires. Coordinators are selected by that coach.

I would love for it to be Tee Martin just so I can sit back and watch a bunch of Tee - hating jack wagons try to reverse course and give him a hero's welcome

Here's the thing with the DeBord hire, Butch has been preaching his system since day one and cramming this "it's a process" crap down everyones throat. What does that say about his system or his process to bring in a guy who has never ran this type of system? Remember when everyone was questioning his system when "Worley would never keep the ball" and how he blew up on the media saying they dont understand the system and the fans dont understand the process? As far as the big time donors go, when it comes down to it they dont have the final say so as far as who Butch hires. But you better believe Butch wants them on his side if he wants to survive here, another thing to remember is one of the biggest donors to the football program is still butt hurt over the Fulmer deal. So it would probably be in Butch's best interest to at least hear the donors out.

Reactions: 3 people
If big money had as much say as you think in UT football, Butch Jones wouldn't be the head coach right now.

If you truly believe someone is blocking Butch from hiring Debord then you probably don't have much intelligence. Ask Basillo when Lovie's jet is going to land since we're following his big money inside sources.

Reactions: 8 people
Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

I don't even slightly believe that.

Reactions: 13 people
The big money donars don't know much about football they just enjoy watching it.

Do they have final say and ultimate veto power in the matter? No. Do they have a very loud voice that demands to be heard in such matters? You better believe it. Money rules the world and big money boosters are critical to big time athletic programs.

My guess is they law low on coordinator hires as long as the list of candidates makes sense. I'd bet that when they heard CBJ was interviewing one of his longtime friends who hasn't been relevant in years, they got him on the phone and wanted to know WTF? I know I would if I was donating millions....

Reactions: 2 people

He didn't say they told him who he could and couldn't....just provided some degree of feedback. You forget, these are the guys footing much of the bill for much of the program. If you were in their shoes and you heard Butch was about to hire some old keaster who had not been a coordinator for 7+yrs, and wasn't even a spread offense type of guy....you don't think you'd get on the phone and express a little concern?

Reactions: 2 people
How many times do we have to listen to Basilio be wrong about something before we stop paying attention to his prognostications?

Here's what I think, Butch and Hart would probably at least consider the opinion of someone like Haslam but I do not think that boosters are blocking anything. Further more it's laughable to think Tony B has any connection to any of our biggest donors, he is wrong on way too many things and throws darts at a board way too much to have any connection.

Make no mistake, there was at least one booster who orchestrated the Kiffin hiring.

His team also wears Orange.

VN Store

Back