Our Backup QB Is....

"Our Backup QB Is...."

Whomever is selected as the best #2 from Spring, Summer...then Fall Practice.

A Natty was just won with a #3 that nobody wanted...

'Nuff said!

Reactions: 5 people
I'm sure after the Dobbs situation this is one VN topic that will be revisited all year sprinkled with name calling and hate towards one another.

Reactions: 1 person
Its going to be interesting. Does CBJ attempt to do what he did with Dobbs and RS the "actual" #2?

I think you absolutely try to redshirt all 3. I don't think we will be able to, but you absolutely need to try.

Hmm, not all three. Need a closer for games that are well in hand (reduce chance of starter getting injured). Also important for backup, one injury away from being starter, to have some game experience before he has to lead. I'd expect to see the backup QB get playing time from the very first game against Bowling Green on Sep 5th.

Talent will be part of the criteria for selecting #2. I think play style will be part of it, too. Look for the #2 to be dual threat, like Dobbs, so it's easier to interchange the two without limiting what plays can be called. For that reason, I think Dormady (more of a pocket passer) will definitely redshirt, and whichever of the other two freshmen show more talent running the O will not redshirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Hmm, not all three. Need a closer for games that are well in hand (reduce chance of starter getting injured). Also important for backup, one injury away from being starter, to have some game experience before he has to lead. I'd expect to see the backup QB get playing time from the very first game against Bowling Green on Sep 5th.

If they're "well" in hand, then you put in the walk on.

If they're "well" in hand, then you put in the walk on.

Only if you are willing to go through the last half the season with a walk-on as starting QB. Gotta have a plan for the possibility Dobbs gets injured.

Plus, redshirting all three just means that you have a bigger 'bottleneck of talent' later when they all get out of their redshirt year. Take one live in 2015 and you spread them out a little better.

Reactions: 1 person
Only if you are willing to go through the last half the season with a walk-on as starting QB. Gotta have a plan for the possibility Dobbs gets injured.

Plus, redshirting all three just means that you have a bigger 'bottleneck of talent' later when they all get out of their redshirt year. Take one live in 2015 and you spread them out a little better.

If Dobbs gets injured, you simply put in one of the redshirts. If the game is in hand and you want to avoid injury, you put in the walk on.

Basically someone isn't getting redshirted next year. Let the battle for the #2 spot begin. My money is on Sherriron honestly.

You do realize you can start with the intention of redshirting all 3, and then put one of them in if Dobbs is hurt, correct?

But running out the clock is something a walkon can handle

If Dobbs gets injured, you simply put in one of the redshirts. If the game is in hand and you want to avoid injury, you put in the walk on.

So, a (hopefully fictional) scenario to consider. We redshirt all three freshman. First five games of the year, Dobbs is starter and sophomore walk-on Devin Smith is backup. Smith gets considerable play time in the Bowling Green, Western Carolina and Florida games, as all three are blowouts by the 3rd quarter. By the Arkansas game, Smith has played almost five quarters of football, more than 50 offensive plays. In the Oct 3rd Arkansas game, Dobbs sprains his elbow and will be out for up to a month. We face Georgia on Oct 10th, six days from now, and Alabama is a couple of weeks later. Not to exaggerate, but the season turns on these next two games, between a mediocre year and a run at the SEC east title.

Who do you start? The sophomore who has 5 quarters of live game experience under his belt, but is (to be blunt) not talented enough for a run through the SEC? Or a true freshman who has never played a single snap of college football?

Both awful choices, right?

Game experience is worth gold, and you can expect to see some of that gold in at least a couple of the early games of the season. Give that to the one you REALLY want to be your backup in case of injury.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back