ESPN Ranks the SEC's Running Back Groups

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
SEC pre-spring position rankings: RB - ESPN

Vols at #4 feels about right. Hurd is awesome (as long as he stays healthy) and Kamara has the potential to be. Not much in the cupboard behind them, though. So 4th ... yeah, ok.

From our D's perspective, look at our 2015 opponents: #1, #2, and #3 on that list are all teams we play (Arkansas, Georgia, 'Bama). Going to be high adventure inside the box for those three games!

Reactions: 2 people
UGA should be #1, Arky second and I would put UT over Bama right now. The reason being is nobody knows how proven the RBs behind Henry are other than Drake. And he is coming off a major injury. Hurd and Kamara are both proven studs.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd say 4th is about right. Numbers 1-3 through are freaking studs who have proven performances in the SEC. While Hurd is a beast, at this point you can't put him ahead of Chubb, Henry or either of the Arky backs. Obviously Kamara has great potential but he doesn't have a carry at UT yet.

If Kamara comes in a plays like we all hope and expect him to, then we're going to be golden at the RB spot if he along with Hurd stays healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
UGA should be #1, Arky second and I would put UT over Bama right now. The reason being is nobody knows how proven the RBs behind Henry are other than Drake. And he is coming off a major injury. Hurd and Kamara are both proven studs.

But Kamara, as great as his potential is, hasn't taken a handoff in the SEC yet. I understand your thoughts about Drake as well regarding his injury, but if he comes back healthy and to form, he's incredibly explosive. I think 4th is about right. Hopefully our duo stays healthy, puts up huge numbers, and is picked as the best tandem at the end of the season.

SEC pre-spring position rankings: RB - ESPN

Vols at #4 feels about right. Hurd is awesome (as long as he stays healthy) and Kamara has the potential to be. Not much in the cupboard behind them, though. So 4th ... yeah, ok.

From our D's perspective, look at our 2015 opponents: #1, #2, and #3 on that list are all teams we play (Arkansas, Georgia, 'Bama). Going to be high adventure inside the box for those three games!

We also play Arkansas, Georgia and Bama in succession. The younger guys and linebackers better grow up quick because that is one helluva physical trio, we're going to need bodies.

I think Chubb is getting overrated right now and Fournette is getting underrated. IMO Fournette is still the most talented young back in the conference. If I had to rate them, I'd go:

1. Henry
2. Fournette
3. Hurd
4. Chubb
5. Jonathan Williams

I think Chubb is getting overrated right now and Fournette is getting underrated. IMO Fournette is still the most talented young back in the conference. If I had to rate them, I'd go:

1. Henry
2. Fournette
3. Hurd
4. Chubb
5. Jonathan Williams

Collins is nasty.. There r a lot of really good backs in the league right now.

1. Henry
2. Fournette
3. Hurd
4. Chubb
5. Jonathan Williams

Chubb's as good as anybody in the country.

Chubb is miles better than Hurd.

Hurd is bigger and faster than Chubb plus he is a better receiver out of the backfield and a better blocker in the passing game. What Hurd did last year behind our O-line was nothing short of a miracle. Don't be fooled by the stats. Chubb benefitted from a better o-line and supprting cast. Pretty much every running back Georgia had last year was averaging 7 yards a carry. Not just Chubb. Gurley was on his way to a historic season before the injury. Sony Michel also looked spectacular in the little time he played.

Lets just say, I'm much happier with Hurd in Knoxville than I would with Chubb. But I won't lie and say I'd take Hurd over Fournette. That guy in Baton Rogue is a certified FREAK.

How exactly can you overrate Chubb's numbers?

Chubb averaged 7.1 ypc last season. Gurley averaged 7.4 ypc and Sony Michel averaged 6.4 ypc. All 3 had huge games whenever they started. I think any of those 3 coulda ran for the amount of yards Chubb did last year given the carries. I give credit more to that Georgia O-line and the system Richt has which seems to breed big time running stats.

I go by the eye test moreso than stats when it comes to college players. And based on the eye test, Chubb is impressive BUT he was not as impressive as Fournette or Hurd to me last season. I think both will be MUCH BETTER running backs at the next level and maybe as soon as next season.

Hurd is bigger and faster than Chubb plus he is a better receiver out of the backfield and a better blocker in the passing game. What Hurd did last year behind our O-line was nothing short of a miracle. Don't be fooled by the stats. Chubb benefitted from a better o-line and supprting cast. Pretty much every running back Georgia had last year was averaging 7 yards a carry. Not just Chubb. Gurley was on his way to a historic season before the injury. Sony Michel also looked spectacular in the little time he played.

Lets just say, I'm much happier with Hurd in Knoxville than I would with Chubb. But I won't lie and say I'd take Hurd over Fournette. That guy in Baton Rogue is a certified FREAK.

It's obvious you didn't watch enough of Chubb. He's faster, smoother, more agile than Hurd. It has nothing to do with O line play.

It's obvious you didn't watch enough of Chubb. He's faster, smoother, more agile than Hurd. It has nothing to do with O line play.

I hate to say it but Nationdom is right. Thats not to say that Hurd isnt gonna be a stud cause he will be but Chubb is a level above him.

I'd put Chubb over Hurd right now as well, but they're two very different types of backs. Hurd's the type of guy that's going to drag the pile and fall forward a few more yards every time, Chubb's like a mix between a scat back and bowling ball type.

Reactions: 3 people
Chubb averaged 7.1 ypc last season. Gurley averaged 7.4 ypc and Sony Michel averaged 6.4 ypc. All 3 had huge games whenever they started. I think any of those 3 coulda ran for the amount of yards Chubb did last year given the carries. I give credit more to that Georgia O-line and the system Richt has which seems to breed big time running stats.

I go by the eye test moreso than stats when it comes to college players. And based on the eye test, Chubb is impressive BUT he was not as impressive as Fournette or Hurd to me last season. I think both will be MUCH BETTER running backs at the next level and maybe as soon as next season.

Maybe I missed it last year, but when did Michel start?

VN Store

Back