Bates could serve as linchpin in Tennessee linebacker corps

WilliamDuVOL

Personally, this has been one of my biggest areas of concern for us moving forward. It's not a question of talent, but a question of who will take A.J.'s spot moving forward. I also think it's going to be exciting to see some of the few kids we redshirted finally get playing time (yes I realize Bates did get some.) So who do you all think it will be moving forward? I like what I'm hearing about Bates so far.

Tennessee maintains as much depth as any team in the SEC along the defensive line, and returning outside linebackers Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Curt Maggitt add an even greater threat at the line of scrimmage from the edges. With plenty of talent returning in the secondary as well, including both the team’s starting safeties in 2014, that leaves just one gap within the unit, that being at middle linebacker.

While there are plenty of worthy candidates in the mix, there is no obvious replacement for Johnson on the roster, which makes the hole in the middle all the more glaring.

Reactions: 1 person
This defense could really be the shiznat... If McKenzie and Tuttle turn out as good as expected, with already strong DEs and OLBs, we could destroy some RBs and QBs.

Oh, I cant wait until fall.

I would put Bynum or JRM in there to start until Bates can get up to speed. The Mike needs to be running on most if not all of the communication cylinders instead of trying to bring himself up to game speed, if he is that good, (and they do talk about his intelligence), he'll take over by game 6 - 7. JMO

I would put Bynum or JRM in there to start until Bates can get up to speed. The Mike needs to be running on most if not all of the communication cylinders instead of trying to bring himself up to game speed, if he is that good, (and they do talk about his intelligence), he'll take over by game 6 - 7. JMO

In the article it stated they believe he is one of the most intelligent players on the team. That is one thing that intrigued me. Much like AJ was the QB of our defense so to speak, I wonder if Bates has the smarts to replicate that. With the incoming talent, if we can get this spot locked down, I think our defense will be better than last year.

I expect some kinks early, but by mid season our defense should be nasty. Bates is gonna be solid IMO.

Personally, this has been one of my biggest areas of concern for us moving forward. It's not a question of talent, but a question of who will take A.J.'s spot moving forward. I also think it's going to be exciting to see some of the few kids we redshirted finally get playing time (yes I realize Bates did get some.) So who do you all think it will be moving forward? I like what I'm hearing about Bates so far.

Don't let that be your biggest area of concern. There have been novels written on VN about how slow AJ was and this and that. Bottom line is that we have players on board that are much more talented than AJ. We will see a dramatic improvement in pass coverage from the ILB as well as being able to tackle across the field better (catch up speed).

Reactions: 2 people
Don't let that be your biggest area of concern. There have been novels written on VN about how slow AJ was and this and that. Bottom line is that we have players on board that are much more talented than AJ. We will see a dramatic improvement in pass coverage from the ILB as well as being able to tackle across the field better (catch up speed).

Well it was more a matter of when that talent is prepared. I knew the talent was in place, just not when it would be ready. :)

We need a middle linebacker as bad as we need a RT. We might as well have been playing with 10 players on D when Jacob was in. He looks the part, but that's all we have seen out of him so far.

I hope they all turn out great. I have to say, I love Maybin's toughness and nastiness. From what I've seen, he is very aggressive and does not back down. He looks like a defensive leader to me.

With so many dern injuries we're going to see lots of new guys all over the place when spring ball starts.

I hope our new recruits can learn really fast and be ready to go by game 1.

What our S & C coaches and players can get accomplished in the summer all by themselves is going to be very important this year more than ever.

I hope all our injured guys will be ready to rock in the fall and can knock the rust off fast.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

With so many dern injuries we're going to see lots of new guys all over the place when spring ball starts.

I hope our new recruits can learn really fast and be ready to go by game 1.

What our S & C coaches and players can get accomplished in the summer all by themselves is going to be very important this year more than ever.

I hope all our injured guys will be ready to rock in the fall and can knock the rust off fast.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

All the surgeries (and other injuries) have definitely been a concern for me. You just don't know sometimes how they will turn out. Well, I can't wait to see how this team develops going forward. Should be good. :yes:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people

Darrin Kirkland at the Mike IMO

With the depth and the talent that we have on the DL.....JRM is going to have an even better year next year....smart fast player that knows where to be. Add Bates in there at MLB once he gets up to speed and we have some guys cleaning up the mess....JRM is a heck of a talent at OLB and stands to get even better.....

If Bates ends manning the middle spot, he'll be an outside linebacker playing really well at MLB...I want a MLB playing really well at MLB. :hi:

I think Bryant or JRM takes Mike.

Bates, if he comes in, would do well at OLB along with Cortez McDowell. Those 2 at OLB would give us a lot of size, speed and range at OLB to cover the edges.

I think Darrin Kirkland is the future at MLB. I think Bates and his speed is best served for us on the outside. Bates' athleticism is legit, as per the SPARQ:

6'3, 211lb, 4.51 40', 4.09s 20y Shuttle (damn legit time, same as Adoree Jackson) OVERALL: 126.69 good for 12/168 entries.

Bates, Kirkland, McDowell in 2 years will be scary.

Last edited:
I can see us having a Missouri-like defense. A lot of quickness off the ends and solid in the middle. Like stated before the this D is gonna be N-A-S-T-Y.

Really hope that we are calling him "HACKSAW" BATES by the end of the season!!! :rock::rock:

VN Store

Back