Butch and "4th and 1 Wednesday"...

gardners_51609

Get Heuped Up!
Butch Jones explains Tennessee's '4th and 1 Wednesdays'

Speakers come to Knoxville and speak with the team each Wednesday, and Jones explained the program and its purpose on SportsAnimal 99.

“That’s something that’s been a staple of our program in the offseason,” Jones said. “Every Wednesday, we have ‘4th and 1 Wednesdays’ Football is life sped up a lot faster. As we all know, everything is about making the appropriate decisions. You say, ‘How’d you come up with 4th and 1?’ If you look at the play on 4th and 1, you have to have great discipline in your decision-making process. How many times does a linebacker have the fullback, and he has an eye violation, and they slip the back in the flat and it’s a first down? It’s the same thing in life.

This is pretty interesting. SIAP!!

Reactions: 1 person
This relentless attention to detail has GOT TO PAYOFF on the field and I think it will very soon! :rock::rock:

PS - When does Butch Sleep?? :blink:

Reactions: 4 people
This relentless attention to detail has GOT TO PAYOFF on the field and I think it will very soon! :rock::rock:

PS - When does Butch Sleep?? :blink:

The relentless pursuit of continuous improvement

:whistling:

Reactions: 7 people
The relentless pursuit of continuous improvement

:whistling:

Haha. I thought of the same thing and how so many on here were certain that running the stadium stairs at midnight and climbing Mt. LeConte would do wonders for team chemistry.

Back to Jones, you certainly can't say he's sitting on his thumbs. He's all over the place.

NCAA should rethink the 20 hour rule if the unis are pre-paring the young men for life skills, there are may that come from a tough culture and has no direction, but even a good culture tell me how many of you took life skills in HS or college?

NCAA should rethink the 20 hour rule if the unis are pre-paring the young men for life skills, there are may that come from a tough culture and has no direction, but even a good culture tell me how many of you took life skills in HS or college?

I took typing.

Reactions: 5 people
Well if it's fourth and one can we at least line up with a more traditional smash mouth goal line set with the QB sneak a yard away from the TD/conversion, rather than three. Just saying...

Oh, trust me, I got life skills at home.
Oh, yeah. :whistling:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
I took typing.

way before the internet, cell phones and the bank o' dad...we learned how to personally interact and get along with others...adults and peers...got jobs and learned how to pay for our "extras"....and were absolutely held accountable and responsible when we stepped on it.

I know...negative....couldn't resist....I'm a not so old, old fart

Reactions: 5 people
Butch should just call it punt Wednesday. As much as I love Jones (no homo) the only flaw in his game is the unwillingness to ever take any chances. Had he went for it ccouple of times on fourth and 1 or 2 last season we could have won a couple of additional games. You have to put your faith in the players and play to win. It's what every single great coach does.

Last edited:
Unfortunately? You should be proud of your service. I'm proud of my stint in the Army (many years ago).

Very proud, just an awakening, getting drafted was indeed a life class in and of itself. I lost 2 very good friends in Vietnam that very same year I was drafted.

Well if it's fourth and one can we at least line up with a more traditional smash mouth goal line set with the QB sneak a yard away from the TD/conversion, rather than three. Just saying...

We didnt have the OL last year to play smash mouth, i am like you if you got the line just line up and knock them of the line, maybe this year we can.:rock:

I took typing.

Most useful single class I ever took. It has probably saved me months of time over the years.

Did CBJ day "eye violation?" I think I committed one of those at my boy's soccer practice this evening...

VN Store

Back