SEC Key Position Battles (espn)

Linebacker for starters. Especially the Mike LB. It could literally be one of 5 guys starting day one...Bates, Kirkland, Bryant, Bynum, or Johnson.

OT should he interesting as well. Interior line is solid but Blair, Kerbyson, Richmond, and Thomas will be competing there.

And lastly I'd look at corner opposite Cam. Moseley or Martin seems most plausible.

Linebacker for starters. Especially the Mike LB. It could literally be one of 5 guys starting day one...Bates, Kirkland, Bryant, Bynum, or Johnson.

OT should he interesting as well. Interior line is solid but Blair, Kerbyson, Richmond, and Thomas will be competing there.

And lastly I'd look at corner opposite Cam. Moseley or Martin seems most plausible.

I hope they move Coleman Thomas back to his natural position at center with Richmond coming in. I think he'd be an upgrade there over Crowder.

Also the MLB position should be Bates. His athleticism and speed would make our defense even more frightening. I really hope he wins the battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I think we all know it won't be Jakob. Kid is a terrifying German tank but I do think he proved he still needs some work last year.

If Hurd was not limited, I think we would see a heck of a battle at RB. I am really looking forward to seeing how far those two guys can push each other.

Backup QB position is going to be really interesting to watch.

It's also 1 of our most important positions to have a kid ready to play at any minute.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Coleman Thomas should never ever be considered to be in the MX for RT. He will be the starting C where he could be an All-SEC performer in the future.

Spring preview: Key SEC position battles - ESPN

Thankful that we aren't on this list....but which positions do you think we will see the most competition at this offseason?

Linebacker will be a position battle to watch as well as the Online and Dline. Also if Justin Martin can be a lockdown corner opposite of Can. Plus depth behind them and at safety. McNeil scares the hell out of me at safety. He can lay you out quick but too many times he only saw the back of the opposing teams player running towards the end zone. I'm obviously not a coach but he does seem a better fit as an LB with how well he tackles and plays the run well. It's the passing game he has struggled with at UT. Then one of the biggest if not biggest is who backs up Dobbs. With our injury history of late at QB it's at least a very good chance that a FR has to make a start. Hopefully that trend ends this yr but until it happens I won't count on it happening. Punter will also be a lesser talked about but very important position battle to watch. And if Preston Williams can earn some PT,if Josh Smith, North and Croom can come back fronm season ending injuries and return to form along with seeing if Malone can improve over how he struggled later in the yr. So in reality we do have some huge and important position battles to watch. Really need Blair to contribute this yr and will be important for KMac, Tuttle and Picou to come in develop quickly. Those are big body DT's that would be huge size upgrades over what we currently have. DT is probably the hardest position for a TR FR to come in and contribute but KMac and Tuttle have the size to do it but will they have the strength yet?

I think we all know it won't be Jakob. Kid is a terrifying German tank but I do think he proved he still needs some work last year.

Definitely agree on Johnson. He will be a good player at UT before his career is over but having not played football as long as most guys he needs a RS yr to learn his position and grow mentally and physically. He really had no business being on the field last season but sometimes you have to do things out of necessity.

Will be interesting to see if Gavin Bryant can hold off Kirkland for the middle spot. I also think Jakob will need one more year...too bad they can't redshirt him bc of depth issues.

I don't agree with Justin Martin playing nickel...he is a pure cover corner, and I think he will start opposite Cam this year. That will depend on Moseley's progress though. I think our secondary will be better than people think.

Will be interesting to see if Gavin Bryant can hold off Kirkland for the middle spot. I also think Jakob will need one more year...too bad they can't redshirt him bc of depth issues.

I don't agree with Justin Martin playing nickel...he is a pure cover corner, and I think he will start opposite Cam this year. That will depend on Moseley's progress though. I think our secondary will be better than people think.

I wonder how long it will take for Kirkland Jr. to come back from a torn pec? He may not be available this year.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder how long it will take for Kirkland Jr. to come back from a torn pec? He may not be available this year.
Kirkland is the real deal. If he red shirts this year, it bodes well that our staff is stocking up talent for out years.

VN Store

Back