The 2nd LSU Postgame Report

cncchris33

What a difference 2.5 weeks and 650 miles makes apparently. A complete polar opposite team showed up in Baton Rouge than the one that showed up in Knoxville last month, and I'm not talking about LSU. In Knoxville, this Tennessee team looked scared and intimidated, and certainly didn't look like they belonged in the same league as LSU. Last night was a whole different story. Tennessee brought the fight all night long, dictated tempo, controlled the boards, etc. In short, they didn't play scared and they didn't back down. Great to see from that group.

The Good...
1. JRich, I'm gonna miss him. He's the embodiment of everything good about college athletics. 20 pts, 5 rebs, 5 stls, 3 assts, and only 1 TO. Just a solid, solid performance from him.

2. Armani Moore shouldn't be able to outrebound guys like Jordan Mickey and Jarell Martin. He just has that innate ability to overpower, out-hustle, and outsmart bigger players, and he does it consistently. 19 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assts, 3 blks, and only 1 TO.

3. Tariq Owens...you saw a glimpse of his potential last night. 6 pts, 3 rebs, 1 blk in only 15 minutes. Give him a year in the strength program, and hopefully another 20-25 lbs, and he could be a real difference-maker. His potential is theough the roof IMO, and the one player I am most excited about if he can add the weight and strength. It's the only thing really holding him back.

4. Hubbs was solid again. 12 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst, 1 TO. I'd like to see him contribute in other phases a little more.

5. Punter was also solid, but absent for periods I thought. Quietly had 10 pts, 3 rebs, 3 stls, 1 asst, and just 1 TO. Picked up his 4th foul early, but played smart enough to not get a 5th.

6. Reese led the team in rebs with 9, but didn't do much in terms of scoring. To his credit, he didn't try to do TOO much in terms of scoring either; differing rather to teammates who were playing wel offensively. He still has some WTH plays that make you want to wring his neck, but they are more tolerable in a 15-pt win.

7. When wad the last time that nearly the entire team contributed hea ily in a win like this? Everyone played an integral part outside of Mostella and Carmichael, who only played a combined 21 minutes. Very encouraging to see them all have a hand in the win.

8. We outrebounded LSU 35-29 (13-9 ORebs), which just shouldn't happen, and if I am Johnny Jones, I probably eat their face off in the locker room for letting a team as bereft of size and height as Tennessee is, just simply outwork them on the boards. Inexcusable when you have the #2 & 3 rebounders in the conference.

9. Along those same lines, how does Tennessee outscore LSU 36-20 in the paint?

The Bad...

1. Not a lot of bad to find in this game. Willie took a step back for me. Only 9 minutes played, and his only contribution was 3 fouls. He has played better of late, and the fouls were being reined in a bit, but last night was Willie from a month ago. He needs to play better than that.

2. Mostella I thought forced some shots that weren't necessarily bad looks, but we could have gotten better ones IMO. He is aggressive, amd I love that, but with maturity, he'll understand that even an open look isn't always the best look. Just freshman mistakes.

3. The officials really seemed to make a concerted effort to keep Tennessee off the FT line. Twice on the same possession, it looked as if both Armani Moore and Detrick Mostella were fouled in the act of shooting, and the officials gave Tennessee the ball out of bounds rather than shooting FTs. On the other end, some fouls called on Tennessee were so late they had cobwebs on them, and some continuation calls that put LSU on the line were VERY generous by comparison. I'm never one to complain about officials, esp in a 15-pt win, but my gosh. Final FT numbers: TN 4-7, LSU 18-24. Puzzling to say the least.

Bottom line...
LSU didn't play well, and probably overlooked Tennessee based on the result of the game in Knoxville, but Tennessee beat them last night. LSU didn't just lay down, and they didn't quit. We forced a lot of outside shots, and outside of Hornsby, they weren't efficient. Mickey and Martin average 32.5 pts and 19 rebs/gm, and we held them to a collective 25 pts and 13 rebs. We played to win, and probably snuck up on a team overconfident. Probably the most impressive win of the season IMO, on the road, against a very good team that we don't match up well with, and that demolished us at home just 18 days ago.

Reactions: 17 people
Didn't get to watch last night but what a surprise to turn on the radio and hear the score. Thought we were down by 13 but when Burt called the 4th foul on Mickey the play of the game I figured out we were up 13. Very impressive performance by our guys and Tariq's dunk should have been a Sportscenter top 10. Anyone know if it was?

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't get to watch last night but what a surprise to turn on the radio and hear the score. Thought we were down by 13 but when Burt called the 4th foul on Mickey the play of the game I figured out we were up 13. Very impressive performance by our guys and Tariq's dunk should have been a Sportscenter top 10. Anyone know if it was?

Not sure if you saw it, but Baulkman had an even more impressive one IMO. One-handed putback off of a missed shot. Tariq's was very nice too because it was contested by one of the most elite defenders in the SEC in Mickey. Both great plays.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure if you saw it, but Baulkman had an even more impressive one IMO. One-handed putback off of a missed shot. Tariq's was very nice too because it was contested by one of the most elite defenders in the SEC in Mickey. Both great plays.

They only showed a fast replay of Baulkmans when I watched the highlights. I'll have to go check it out again.

They only showed a fast replay of Baulkmans when I watched the highlights. I'll have to go check it out again.

I say more impressive, but equally impressive is probably more accurate. They showed both several times on replay during the broadcast, but like you said, the highlights didn't do justice to Baulkman's.

Devon played without his brace and played much better offensively. I wonder if his shoulder is still bothering him?

Devon played without his brace and played much better offensively. I wonder if his shoulder is still bothering him?

Agree. He seemed to play with much more conviction as well. He shot without thinking, drove without thinking, and even his putback was just a natural reaction to go get the ball. I really want to see him at 100%, because I think he can be a real offensive contributor when healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess the only thing that bothered me was Hornsby hitting all the threes. I kept wondering why "continue" to leave a hot shooter open like that? Anyway, a great win. :peace2:

GO VOLS!

Great Coach plan=2or3 quickly on lsu bigs w/ball=frustrated bigs=confident, hyped Vols=big win for Vols!
Go back and look at rerun how Martin and Mickey looked when they could not see basket for Vols. Team worked hard!

Go Vols!!

I guess the only thing that bothered me was Hornsby hitting all the threes. I kept wondering why "continue" to leave a hot shooter open like that? Anyway, a great win. :peace2:

GO VOLS!

I hate the way you phrased that, as a zone is going to give some looks, but I will agree last night and lately in general some of the rotations were a bit slow on the perimeter and especially on the corner. I think it was more of a reluctance to have the posts help on D in the corner when the ball got to the top of the key or to the angle. This is not a man to man defense, so they aren't "leaving" a hot shooter open, the offense is taking advantage of the defense having tired legs and not rotating as quickly as they should.

But I would rather die a thousand deaths than have to watch Hornsby jack up one more of those hideous threes

Some of Reese's WTF plays come from anticipating what another player is going to do.
This could produce some of the OMG plays next season when the guys know each other better.
I'm quite satisfied with Reese's contribution this season.

Best offensive showing in a long time, if not all season. Much less wasted dribbling, and great ball movement. Ball movement led to open shots, and the guys hit 'em.

Reactions: 2 people
The difference in this game and the one in Knoxville, they hit a lot of 3 pointers early then cracked us open on the inside. Game was over at the half. Same shots did not fall tonight. Frankly with those 2 on the inside I don't know why they ever take a 3 point shot?

Man I wish Armani were 5 inches taller, with a decent mid range shot. We would have us a bonafide super star. His heart and hustle can't be denied, he just doesn't have much offensive skill. I believe he will put in the work to be a little better in that area next year though. He may be our best player next season.

Man I wish Armani were 5 inches taller, with a decent mid range shot. We would have us a bonafide super star. His heart and hustle can't be denied, he just doesn't have much offensive skill. I believe he will put in the work to be a little better in that area next year though. He may be our best player next season.
Doesn't have much offensive skill? Completely disagree. He's got a wide variety of moves to score and to beat taller defenders, he didn't score 19 against LSU by getting trash layups.

Reactions: 3 people
Doesn't have much offensive skill? Completely disagree. He's got a wide variety of moves to score and to beat taller defenders, he didn't score 19 against LSU by getting trash layups.

I agree , he just lacks a consistent 3 pt shot

In Chris Lofton's senior year, he made a commitment to drive the ball and finish at the rim. This added to his total game, along with his 3 pt. shooting accuracy.

Armani will work on his 3 pt. shooting accuracy to go along with his inside slicing ability during this years offseason. IMO he will also become a player with the total package!

I remember that Armani has made two 3pointers already this season, including one against lsu. I think he has not had as much practice time shooting the 3point shot due to his practice time on defense.

Last edited:

Clueless in Tennessee

Reactions: 1 person

I think a more accurate statement is to say that his skill-set doesn't match his body makeup. He has only average perimeter skills, but an impressive inside game and rebounding ability. His body is one built more for the perimeter or SF position. If he were 6-8 to 6-10 with his skill-set, he'd be an all-american.

VN Store

Back