Butch Jones starting a new Game Day Tradition this year at LP Field.

JAllen18

VFL
By having the fans recite Gen. Robert Neyland’s Seven Game Maxims a few minutes before each home game.

Jones said he’s hoping to have fans recite Gen. Robert Neyland’s Seven Game Maxims a few minutes before each home game at Neyland Stadium, and Tennessee might try to introduce the new routine before its season opener Sept. 5 against Bowling Green at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn.

“We experienced a little of it at the Orange and White Game, but we do have a new tradition that we’re going to start. And I’d like to start it at LP Field,” Jones told the crowd during Tennessee’s Big Orange Caravan stop at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“A couple minutes prior to us running through the ’T,’ we are going to recite — through the loudspeaker and JumboTron — the Seven Game Maxims as a fan base.

“We’re right there reciting the Seven Game Maxims. Y’all will be out there reciting the Seven Game Maxims, as well.”
Game Maxims to be part of 'new tradition'

Reactions: 23 people
By having the fans recite Gen. Robert Neyland’s Seven Game Maxims a few minutes before each home game.

Jones said he’s hoping to have fans recite Gen. Robert Neyland’s Seven Game Maxims a few minutes before each home game at Neyland Stadium, and Tennessee might try to introduce the new routine before its season opener Sept. 5 against Bowling Green at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn.

“We experienced a little of it at the Orange and White Game, but we do have a new tradition that we’re going to start. And I’d like to start it at LP Field,” Jones told the crowd during Tennessee’s Big Orange Caravan stop at Bristol Motor Speedway.

“A couple minutes prior to us running through the ’T,’ we are going to recite — through the loudspeaker and JumboTron — the Seven Game Maxims as a fan base.

“We’re right there reciting the Seven Game Maxims. Y’all will be out there reciting the Seven Game Maxims, as well.”
Game Maxims to be part of 'new tradition'

7 is a lucky number. I'm all in!!!

Butch is usually about creating a great game atmosphere in the stadium. this was a failure at the Orange and white game, too long, and the opposite of getting the crowd hype. I wouldn't do this right before the game, maybe before the band takes the field if at all.

Reactions: 9 people
If the whole stadium would buy in and do it, it would be great. However, that is a tall task. We can't even get everyone to sing the national anthem.

Reactions: 4 people
Pretty sure this has been done before. Mid 2000s Maybe. And wasn't all that cool.

It HAS been done before...it was an epic fail. It is far, far too long. 100,000+ people putting different inflections on different words within a sentence comes off sounding like 100,000+ people with the mumbles.

Reactions: 13 people
I'd be all for it if we can all agree that this new tradition will replace the tradition of all the players holding up 4 fingers at the conclusion of the 3rd quarter.......dumbest thing is sports, period.

Reactions: 3 people
It HAS been done before...it was an epic fail. It is far, far too long. 100,000+ people putting different inflections on different words within a sentence comes off sounding like 100,000+ people with the mumbles.

Agree. I don't think people have that long of an attention span to care about reciting all 7.

"Whoop de ass" is about as involved as most fans want to get.

Reactions: 5 people
I'd be all for it if we can all agree that this new tradition will replace the tradition of all the players holding up 4 fingers at the conclusion of the 3rd quarter.......dumbest thing is sports, period.

Couldn't agree more. The 4 fingers up after 3 quarters was cool back in the 80s for about half a season. It lost its luster soon after. Now I see teams trailing 47-13 hold up 4 fingers going into the fourth qtr all these years later and I wanna jab a sharp stick into my carotid artery.

Also, to the point of the thread, I'm all-Butch and everything, but at this point I'd prefer a little less Barnum & Bailey and a little more Bear Bryant.

Reactions: 7 people
Agree. I don't think people have that long of an attention span to care about reciting all 7.

"Whoop de ass" is about as involved as most fans want to get.

If I never see a "whip dey ass" post again it'll be about 3 lifetimes too soon.

Reactions: 5 people
Couldn't agree more. The 4 fingers up after 3 quarters was cool back in the 80s for about half a season. It lost its luster soon after. Now I see teams trailing 47-13 hold up 4 fingers going into the fourth qtr all these years later and I wanna jab a sharp stick into my carotid artery.

Also, to the point of the thread, I'm all-Butch and everything, but at this point I'd prefer a little less Barnum & Bailey and a little more Bear Bryant.

Agree. At the end of the day, just win. The game day experience sells itself, no need for all the theatrics.

Heck, most fans forget the title words of Rocky Top - how they gonna drink and remember more??

Agree too long!

What about starting with the first one at LP field and doing ONE each home game??

Just an Idea, I do like the maxims.

Reactions: 2 people
IMO, a mass recitation like this is much more likely to deflate the crowd than to fire it up. They'll recover quickly, of course, but this is just one of those things that may sound like a good idea but probably isn't.

The 7 maxims are no less valid today than they were in Neyland's time, but inspirational they're not.

VN Store

Back