Tennessee Football: Early Grades for 2016 Recruiting Class

If we have a mediocre season this year, then the last two recruiting classes will be the best we see for a good while until we can re-open up recruiting again under the premise of immediate playing time.

There are other reasons, but the #1 reason we've had such a great recruiting class the last 2 years is immediate playing time. Well, now that we've got 2 years of talented players piled up, immediate playing time is out the window in terms of a recruiting tool. So what will it take to CONTINUE to bring in great talent? Plain and simple, win.

If we don't get 10 wins in 2015, it's going to be pretty tough to tell a four or five star kid to come to UT in 2016 and sit the bench for a couple years. I'm not saying we will get 10 wins, but I think we need it to keep the recruiting momentum going. The ONLY way four and five start kids will sit the bench is if they are part of a winning program. Not a program with the potential to win. A winning program. Big difference.

Why 10 wins? It's hard to hear, but because Saban set the standard. Bama started winning at the EXACTLY right time . . . . right as they were recruiting a couple years of great talent. Plain and simple, highly talented kids wanted to jump on the train and be a part of it and were willing to wait a couple years on the bench to get their shot.

Below is a list of Bama's # of signees. I would be happy as pie with taking 25 or so kids every year now that we have a nice base....just like Bama did. Dropping from 32 to the 25 or so certainly hasn't effected Bama's recruiting rankings. So why should our recruiting ranking drop in 2016 with slightly smaller commits?

I just absolutely HATE the idea of slowing down the recruiting train because all of a sudden we have 2 years of great talent. Bama didn't have to, and neither should we if we can find a way to get 10 in 2015. This is the EXACT RIGHT TIME FOR UT TO WIN. Win this year, and I truly believe the next 10 years look bright for Tennessee. Have a mediocre year, and we're not in good shape until we start offering immediate playing time again and reboot.

GBO

Bama recruiting
2007 - 24
2008 - 32
2009 - 30
2010 - 28
2011 - 26
2012 - 26
2013 - 25
2014 - 27
2015 - 25

Alabama Crimson Tide Football Recruiting - School Commitments - ESPN

:mf_surrender:

Reactions: 1 person
The recruiting train isn't slowing down. We really have no idea how this class is going to play out, but we're in on a lot of big names.

And I'm certainly not unhappy about nor questioning Butch's decisions to go heavy in 2014 and 2015 and light in 2016.

1) It helped overhaul the roster extremely quickly. We went from being virtually devoid of talent and depth in 2013 (outside the OL) to having a ton of it at almost every position (although it is young). It helps that Butch seems to hit far more than he misses when it comes to recruiting evaluations.

2) It sets up for a monster class in 2017 when in-state talent will be at the highest level it has ever been.

And yes, we need to win, but I think Butch can survive on the recruiting trail with a 7-5 season (6-6 or lower would certainly hurt). 8-4 and we're 100% okay, 9-3 and above and we're really rolling.

2016 is really the year we have to win 10 games, because that's the year we need to make a statement will all those in-state recruits. We have a chance at landing a top 3 class that year that will essentially replace the 2014 class.

Reactions: 2 people
If the unlikely happens and we land Gary + Walker? Along with JG and whoever else? I don't care if we have an 18 man class...it's top 5.

If we only win 7 this year, it will hurt recruiting going forward. Unless there are some really good reasons like a disastrous slew of injuries. But to say we have to win 10 to show real progress is rediculous. Nobody in the country is EXPECTING that from UT. Some are saying is possible with a few things going our way. I concur..definitely possible, but unlikely imo with as many things that can go wrong to derail the season. My greatest fear is Dobbs going down for an extended period, or the OL not at least improving to respectably solid play. If those things happen...6-7 wins are likely...

Reactions: 1 person
waaaaaaaaaaaay too early for this lol

I know it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for this....but I figured it would help us get another day closer to Opening Day.....that is the way I was looking at it......you know make for some good conversation

I know it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for this....but I figured it would help us get another day closer to Opening Day.....that is the way I was looking at it......you know make for some good conversation

Sorry I didn't mean it to come across like that. Just meant that its crazy there is even articles already on 2016!

Some folks need to chill on the mediocre season talk, sure anything can happen but it's much more likely we start winning more than losing. I don't see recruiting slacking off, yes there will be years when you can't take 28. It's that way for all teams. But the quality will be good under coach Jones, it's not like everybody is expecting a undefeated season. If we get to 8-9 wins in regular season recruiting is not going to go to average. No time to be talking mediocre when we are assembling top talent, the VOLS are on our way! GO BIG ORANGE!!!

I think most big time recruits would be fine with 8 wins (regular season). They'd be able to look at why butch has done and see a clear upward trajectory that way

EDIT: what I mean is that no big time recruit we're already in on is going to think "Wow, they didn't win 10 games!? No way I want to play there."

Especially since there are still a few spots they could see significant playing time early, depending on what our top players like Cam, North, Hurd, etc. do in regards to the draft.

Last edited:
I think most big time recruits would be fine with 8 wins (regular season). They'd be able to look at why butch has done and see a clear upward trajectory that way

EDIT: what I mean is that no big time recruit we're already in on is going to think "Wow, they didn't win 10 games!? No way I want to play there."

Especially since there are still a few spots they could see significant playing time early, depending on what our top players like Cam, North, Hurd, etc. do in regards to the draft.

5 wins 2013
6 wins 2014
8 wins 2015

How could anyone complain?

We will get top 5 recruiting class.

With the sheer numbers game, I doubt we have sign enough players to crack the top 7.

Hubbs has repeatedly mentioned that the coaches will be a little more picky this recruiting cycle...

5 wins 2013
6 wins 2014
8 wins 2015

How could anyone complain?

I agree. 8-4 means you beat 2 out of 6 from OU, UF, Arkansas, UGA, Bama, or Missouri. That is a step in the right direction. It is time we beat some of these teams, but we won't beat them all. We don't have to get to 10 to keep recruiting rolling.

Maybe recruits don't see it like I do, but I think the quality of signees will be paramount to total points and, therefore, ranking. If UT continues to progress on the field and bring in top tier recruits, unlike the Fooley years, I don't think a smaller class will hurt recruiting momentum.

With the sheer numbers game, I doubt we have sign enough players to crack the top 7.

Hubbs has repeatedly mentioned that the coaches will be a little more picky this recruiting cycle...

The only way I see a top 7-8 class is if our star average is near 3.9 or 4.0. But we have a few 3* guys who probably won't get bumped and won't get dropped either. Just not gonna happen this year.

Landing Warrior, Bituli, Hardman, and an as of yet unknown 5* (Walker? Gary?) would make this class just as legit as the others, though. Especially if Guarantano gets a nice bump. I really think he should be a 5* himself.

If we have a mediocre season this year, then the last two recruiting classes will be the best we see for a good while until we can re-open up recruiting again under the premise of immediate playing time. ...

immediate playing time.

I understand what you are saying, but disagree for 2 reasons ...

#1 Butch is already preaching the "Still one of the youngest teams in the nation" mantra. With young and unproven talent, 17 year olds are going to see a biiiiig opportunity for PT.

#2 Less than 10 wins will not cripple us any more than the sky-falling-crowd that said "6-6 will cause our class to fall apart at seasons end". We went 6-6, won the bowl, and our head salesman had the world talking like we made the playoff. 8-4 and 9-3 show significant improvement (multiple big wins) and will give our staff plenty of + data for living rooms across America.

That being said, 10 wins or more sure aint gonna hurt.

The only way I see a top 7-8 class is if our star average is near 3.9 or 4.0. But we have a few 3* guys who probably won't get bumped and won't get dropped either. Just not gonna happen this year.

Landing Warrior, Bituli, Hardman, and an as of yet unknown 5* (Walker? Gary?) would make this class just as legit as the others, though. Especially if Guarantano gets a nice bump. I really think he should be a 5* himself.

Most of these recruiting "services" only count the top 20 or so recruits for each school anyway iirc. Our 2014 class was #1 in the nation IMO. I base that on our all-out need for quality numbers. But the services truncate after a certain amount presumable to "level the playing field" and give every team an equal chance based on quality and not quantity.

Recruiting "rankings" are, of course, not accurate. But they are interesting to watch.

With the depth we have now ut can afford to swing for the fence and go after 5 star player top 100 recruits i would rather get 7 to 10 play makers tha can play now and pick up 15 depth feelerS pretty soon butch will pretty much pick.and choose whoever he wants he has a foundation set now lets put the roof on!

VN Store

Back