walk on tryouts?

VFL 24/7

Legend
Does anyone on this board know if coach Barnes will be bringing on a walk on or 2? Because it is shaping up to be 13 players on the roster which leads to two open spots. Does anyone know if they will be having any workouts or something in the coming months or in the Fall to complete the roster? Thanks :hi:

I still have 4 years of eligibility. I wonder if he needs a 5'11" white guy who can't jump and lost his shot about 20 years ago?

Reactions: 9 people
I still have 4 years of eligibility. I wonder if he needs a 5'11" white guy who can't jump and lost his shot about 20 years ago?

Never said I was trying out. But since you want to try and characterize me, I am currently at UTK and played high school ball 1 year ago.

Never said I was trying out. But since you want to try and characterize me, I am currently at UTK and played high school ball 1 year ago.

He wasn't characterizing you. He was making fun of himself. You may want to check your feelings at the door, or this may not be the right place for you.

Reactions: 26 people
He wasn't characterizing you. He was making fun of himself. You may want to check your feelings at the door, or this may not be the right place for you.

Is it just me or do we seem to have a lot of guys on this board who only played 1 year of high school ball that want to play for UT?!

Reactions: 1 person
We dont want a guy with the name "bricks" on our bball team! haha

We have had several that could have used that as a nickname. I wonder who were the top ten worst shooters we have ever had here? I'd exclude real big guys because they would dominate the list.

Chuck Threets was bad . Bradshaw could score a little but he was a horrible shooter. Tyrone Beaman had a worst shot than Bradshaw. Any others come to mind?

Ramar Smith was good at scoring on fast breaks and had a decent inside game but was a poor shooter.

Shot a measly .227 from behind the arc in 2007-2008.

Ramar Smith was good at scoring on fast breaks and had a decent inside game but was a poor shooter.

Shot a measly .227 from behind the arc in 2007-2008.

He is in top ten. Duke Crews might be a possibility. Many of Wade Houston guys would deserve a mention but I can't remember their names.

Last edited:

Dang man. You are a apparently a FR. So, I encourage you to take one of the reading courses offered this summer or next fall.

The guy did nothing to "characterize" you. He didn't refer to you at all. What part of his post are you referring to?

Ramar Smith ... not a good outside shooter, but was one of the top "Shooting" Guards in the nation coming out of HS. What does that term even mean?

If you've ballooned up to around 300 on the couch, and have long arms, Butch will probably give you a look at Tackle. :)

If you've ballooned up to around 300 on the couch, and have long arms, Butch will probably give you a look at Tackle. :)

I have a beer belly and am slow, but on the plus side I wouldn't have trouble sleeping during the flight to away games, so it isn't all negative.

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone on this board know if coach Barnes will be bringing on a walk on or 2? Because it is shaping up to be 13 players on the roster which leads to two open spots. Does anyone know if they will be having any workouts or something in the coming months or in the Fall to complete the roster? Thanks :hi:

Only one spot left bonds still on the squad

We have had several that could have used that as a nickname. I wonder who were the top ten worst shooters we have ever had here? I'd exclude real big guys because they would dominate the list.

Chuck Threets was bad . Bradshaw could score a little but he was a horrible shooter. Tyrone Beaman had a worst shot than Bradshaw. Any others come to mind?

Dane Bradshaw was one of the most important guys to ever don a UT basketball uni! It was because of him that Pearl had so much success here. Dane was a coach on the floor and he also had some memorable plays. He tipped in the winning basket against Okie St. in Nashville even though his arms were so sore that he had great pain in lifting them above his shoulders. He fed Lofton the ball to bring about a win against Fla. in Gainesville on the last play of the game. He was named as the most valuable glue guy in the SEC during his senior year.

But the rule on VN is "if you can't say something bad about someone...say nothing at all"! Of course this rule only applies to the curmudgeons that post here!

However, most of our fans love The Big Orange and respect all of those who have worked their butts off to make UT a great academic institution that has a major emphasis on athletic competition!

Last edited:
Is it just me or do we seem to have a lot of guys on this board who only played 1 year of high school ball that want to play for UT?!

rats high school ? does the asphalt parking lot behind the church count ? it had several goals set up,some where higher than the others though lol

It seems to me that a couple of walk-ons would be welcome for practice purposes. Last season Galen Campbell was put on scholarship because he walked-on along with Brandon Lopez, and both gave of their time to help the scholarship players to practice against someone who simulated what the future opponent might run. It's not like they are gonna average a couple of seconds a game, if that much, but they are willing to help the team get better. Isn't there anyone on this board that can appreciate that?

Last edited:
It seems to me that a couple of walk-ons would be welcome for practice purposes. Last season Galen Campbell was put on scholarship because he walked-on along with Brandon Lopez, and both gave of their time to help the scholarship players to practice against someone who simulated what the future opponent might run. It's not like they are gonna average a couple of seconds a game, if that much, but they are willing to help the team get better. Isn't there anyone on this board that can appreciate that?
Let me supplement that, Buzz, coming from someone who appreciated three hard years of work from Brandon. He ran circles around anyone else competing for the point guard position last year and praise was heaped on him by Coach T until he tore his ACL. Brandon and Jabari would have taken us into the NCAA tournament last year if they had remained healthy. Of course, those in the know (followers) made fun of that fact. I'll bet you Jabari can give some insight on that. That shouldn't be taboo since Brandon is gone. He would know the deal besides me and Coach T just saying it. Oh, by the way, it was totally evident who the starter would have been as the circumstances developed but no one would step up to the plate and admit it because I said it all along from summer practice last year. As a matter of fact, I was even told that he had as good a chance of starting as anyone by Coach T at last year's caravan. I also provided him a copy of the RTL stats in May from the year before which most in the know made fun of. One might remember he had led his team, KNS, to the "meaningless" RTL championship from the point the year before averaging 22 a game. I was having the debate about a "walk on" could never start for a D1 team at the time.

Let me supplement that, Buzz, coming from someone who appreciated three hard years of work from Brandon. He ran circles around anyone else competing for the point guard position last year and praise was heaped on him by Coach T until he tore his ACL. Brandon and Jabari would have taken us into the NCAA tournament last year if they had remained healthy. Of course, those in the know (followers) made fun of that fact. I'll bet you Jabari can give some insight on that. That shouldn't be taboo since Brandon is gone. He would know the deal besides me and Coach T just saying it. Oh, by the way, it was totally evident who the starter would have been as the circumstances developed but no one would step up to the plate and admit it because I said it all along from summer practice last year. As a matter of fact, I was even told that he had as good a chance of starting as anyone by Coach T at last year's caravan. I also provided him a copy of the RTL stats in May from the year before which most in the know made fun of. One might remember he had led his team, KNS, to the "meaningless" RTL championship from the point the year before averaging 22 a game. I was having the debate about a "walk on" could never start for a D1 team at the time.

Good post! I did not read threads closely until after the first of the year when many were praising Tyndall for our good conference start, only to start criticizing him when we faced more difficult competition with our outmanned lineup. Brandon would have given Josh a chance to play at his natural position, which would have helped our overall 3 pt. shooting percentage. I believe that this would have translated into 3 or 4 more wins and a postseason invite.

Thanks again for sharing your insight!

VN Store

Back