KMac working to be in shape and ready to play

KBVol

Kahlil McKenzie working to be 'in shape,' ready to play for Vols

A snippet....

“I called Coach Jones, and I sent him a picture of (the hill). I was like, ‘This is going to be my girlfriend until I come to see you guys,’” said McKenzie, who was ranked the nation’s No. 6 overall prospect and No. 2 defensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class. “I’ve just been out there working. We try to go out there three times a week.”

That’s where the 6-foot-3, 339-pound McKenzie — who has been the star of Tennessee’s 2015 recruiting class since he committed to the Vols in July — has put in plenty of work to drop some of the weight he added while sitting out his senior season."

Reactions: 7 people

A snippet....

“I called Coach Jones, and I sent him a picture of (the hill). I was like, ‘This is going to be my girlfriend until I come to see you guys,’” said McKenzie, who was ranked the nation’s No. 6 overall prospect and No. 2 defensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class. “I’ve just been out there working. We try to go out there three times a week.”

That’s where the 6-foot-3, 339-pound McKenzie — who has been the star of Tennessee’s 2015 recruiting class since he committed to the Vols in July — has put in plenty of work to drop some of the weight he added while sitting out his senior season."

If he plans on making it work, he's gonna have to see her more then 3 times a week.

Reactions: 3 people

A snippet....

This may have been posted already but why did he sit out his Sr season? Injury?

Yep, it was in the article:

After reaching a peak weight of 367 pounds during his senior season — when he was sidelined because of his transfer from nearby De La Salle High School and surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee — McKenzie said he has dropped almost 30 pounds.

Here's another interesting quote from that article, something I hadn't seen before this on VN:

...Jones said last week during a Big Orange Caravan stop in Nashville, Tenn., that the Vols are “going to rely on two true freshman defensive tackles to really play a big part in this year’s outcome of many games," referring to McKenzie and fellow freshman Shy Tuttle.
Sounds like there are two freshmen who are definitely not going to redshirt. By the time we get to the meat at the center of the schedule--Florida, Arky, Georgia, Alabama--our DLine should be lights-out great.

Reactions: 5 people
Here's another interesting quote from that article, something I hadn't seen before this on VN:

Sounds like there are two freshmen who are definitely not going to redshirt. By the time we get to the meat at the center of the schedule--Florida, Arky, Georgia, Alabama--our DLine should be lights-out great.

Top 4 for sure with Vickers as well. Saulsberry may or may not play due to his knees.

We will get a pretty good gauge of how special these 2 freshman are against OKL. High school all star games are one thing, junior and senior linemen from Oklahoma are a whole different cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I hope KMac and Shy whoop that a**. And either way, it will get them prepared for FL and the rest of the SEC which is what really counts. GBO

With KMac wearing #1 and Tuttle wearing #2, can we officially say that we have a "1-2 punch" at defensive tackle?

:)

Reactions: 3 people
Someone tell KMAC all of Ktown is anxiously awaiting his arrival. I have a feeling he might just make Nick Chubb his new girlfriend.

Reactions: 2 people
We will get a pretty good gauge of how special these 2 freshman are against OKL. High school all star games are one thing, junior and senior linemen from Oklahoma are a whole different cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I hope KMac and Shy whoop that a**. And either way, it will get them prepared for FL and the rest of the SEC which is what really counts. GBO
The beauty of all this, PMC, is KMac and Shy won't be required to start off the bat, nor will they be required to get worn down early on due to the experience of O'Brien, Vickers, Williams and, hopefully, Saulsberry, too. Plus Picou will most likely get some meaningful reps. As long as the injury bug doesn't strike (knock on wood), it appears UT's D-line is going to be about as relentless as those 1998 beasts. Both KMac and Shy will be needed early-on to keep the rotations fresh. Let's figure one or both of these newby behemoths will be starting half-way to mid-way through the season...if not "sooner." Oklahoma. We've not forgotten.

Last edited:
The beauty of all this, PMC, is KMac and Shy won't be required to start off the bat, nor will they be required to get worn down early on due to the experience of O'Brien, Vickers, Stewart, Williams and, hopefully, Saulsberry, too. Plus Picou will most likely get some meaningful reps. As long as the injury bug doesn't strike (knock on wood), it appears UT's D-line is going to be about as relentless as those 1989 beasts. Let's figure one or both of these newby behemoths will be starting half-way to mid-way through the season...if not "sooner." Oklahoma. We've not forgotten.
Who is Stewart? We have a Stewart at DT?

As of right now the only DTs we have with meaningful game experience are O'Brien and Owen Williams.

I get so tired of hearing that "relying on freshman" excuse. It's college football. Players graduate, get injured, wash out. You always have to rely on young players in some form or fashion. Last I checked O'Brien and Williams aren't going to not show up in the Fall.

Last comment I heard fr CBJ on Sauls is that he has a long way to go. Knee is not there and would be well into camp before they know anything. Doesn't bode well for conditioning.

Last edited:
He left the famous DeLaSalle private high school and entered public school for his senior year. Basically he was ruled ineligible to play due to transfer rules. De LaSalle has a relatively new football coach and staff, then you hear about the knee repair, a lot of factors came into play it appears. The good news is he rose to prominence at one of the premier hs football programs in the nation, appears it was an amicable parting.

I get so tired of hearing that "relying on freshman" excuse. It's college football. Players graduate, get injured, wash out. You always have to rely on young players in some form or fashion. Last I checked O'Brien and Williams aren't going to not show up in the Fall.

Last comment I heard fr CBJ on Sauls is that he has a long way to go. Knee is not there and would be well into camp before they know anything. Doesn't bode well for conditioning.
Losing 37 pounds BEFORE setting foot on campus bodes very xxxxing well on his conditioning, set to arrive on weight on schedule the coaching staff laid out. Appears disciplined and coachable.

He left the famous DeLaSalle private high school and entered public school for his senior year. Basically he was ruled ineligible to play due to transfer rules. De LaSalle has a relatively new football coach and staff, then you hear about the knee repair, a lot of factors came into play it appears. The good news is he rose to prominence at one of the premier hs football programs in the nation, appears it was an amicable parting.

Thanks!

Losing 37 pounds BEFORE setting foot on campus bodes very xxxxing well on his conditioning, set to arrive on weight on schedule the coaching staff laid out. Appears disciplined and coachable.

I think he was referring to Saulsberry's conditioning.

He's only 4 or 5 pounds from his goal

Thought he told Swain last year on a radio interview that he ideally wanted to play at 310-315 lbs. Have you read/seen something else saying he wants to play at 335?

VN Store

Back