Props to Madison Shipman

2Alum4EverVol

Yes, the Weeklys have done a masterful and praiseworthy job of getting this very young team back to WCWS for 7th time in program's history. It has been a real joy watching the young team come together all season long and jell at the end of season to go on a recent tear. But IMHO, i think the volunteer assistant Madison Shipman has been invaluable in helping the team achieve its goals -- her presence on and off the field, experiences, intelligence, leadership and so on are just second to none. I'm sure the players have immensely enjoyed having MaddiShip around and drawing some great lessons and inspirations from her. We are really lucky to have her still hanging around in our program as a coach. Whoever gets Madison next as a head coach next time will be blessed to have one great human being. She's that good...

Reactions: 22 people
she is still learning as a first base coach,some of those plays where the runners on first were out of position are her fault

but it is just her first year as a coach and she has done a very good job,being a little more conservative with the runners,would help her, but i do hope the Weeklys can find a spot for her in the future and keep her at UT for as long as they can

Not her greatest first base coaching today.....The runner breaking for second before ball was safe was on her I suppose....But, she still looks beautiful even when she makes a mistake, so no problem.

Reactions: 2 people
Hope Shipman is with the team next season. She is very nice to look at.

Players don't always do what coaches tell them.

Don't forget that Madison's kid sister Allysa ('18) is set to wear orange and white too in a few yrs, and from all indications she's just as beautiful, and one helluva ball player much like her big sister. Actually, the group that Allysa will get to play with -- Gabby Sprang ('17), Logan Caymol ('18), Madison Pacini ('18), Chelsea Seggern ('16), et al seem to have the "it" factor. They could very well win a national title or two together which Madison could never quite accomplish as a player at TN.

My secret wish is that we somehow hang on to Madison Shipman for the next 3-5 yrs. At the end of that 3-5 yrs Ralph finally retires from coaching. Then we hire Madison full-time as our permanent hitting coach. Karen takes over the head coaching duties alone, does just as well if not better, coaches for next 10 yrs, wins a couple national titles and retires into sunset. Meanwhile, we groom Maddi to take over as our next head coach after Karen. Maddi becomes our 4th head coach in program's history at the ripe old age of 38 or so, recruits well, competes for a national championship pretty much every single year, has an illustrious 20-plus head coaching career with 3-5 national titles to her credit. Why not? No matter what we are fortunate to have Madison Shipman representing UT as long as she can b/c she's not only a beautiful young lady, but she's one wholesome person inside...

Actually, the group that Allysa will get to play with -- Gabby Sprang ('17), Logan Caymol ('18), Madison Pacini ('18), Chelsea Seggern ('16), et al seem to have the "it" factor. They could very well win a national title or two together which Madison could never quite accomplish as a player at TN.

Yup. And you left out Ashlee Snyder, Jenna Holcomb, and Ashley Morgan (who plays catcher for Sprang and the Georgia Impact).

The amount of talent that UT has coming in in the next 3-4 years is truly staggering.

My secret wish is that we somehow hang on to Madison Shipman for the next 3-5 yrs. At the end of that 3-5 yrs Ralph finally retires from coaching. Then we hire Madison full-time as our permanent hitting coach. Karen takes over the head coaching duties alone, ..

why would you want to see Ralph quit coaching ? it isn't like him and Karen aren't doing an excellent job

Reactions: 1 person
They are doing fantastic! As a fan I'm ecstatic that they have gotten the program to such an elite and lofty status among the nation's very best. That's where we rightfully belong, and many big schools have resources to accomplish the same feat but quite can't pull it off like we have with both Ralph and Karen at the helm. Several yrs ago I was doing my graduate work, and had a chance to run into both Ralph and Karen at Hodges Library. After shaking hands and striking a brief conversation, my belief was confirmed that these two are genuinely good people. They are great individuals. And I like and respect both. Players love to play for them. They are a good combination.

It's just my hunch, and I remind you that it's only one man's opinion but I think we'll be perfectly fine with Karen leading the charge alone. She may very well do it better alone than doing it together with Ralph on her side. She had done it at Chattanooga when Ralph was away with USA softball, and she did just fine. Karen's very smart and an excellent coach of her own. She's smarter than Ralph. She's a great strategist and an analyst of the game. She can break down the game like no one. Even better than Ralph IMO. I don't want Ralph to retire anytime soon 'tho. I'm giving him 3-5 more yrs of coaching. If Madison is ready sooner, fine. If not, Ralph can coach additional two yrs before Madison takes over the role as a hitting coach. By then I believe Ralph should be of age to enjoy the fruits of his labor, relax and enjoy the retirement life as a head coach emeritus in advisor role. But mainly, I want Madison to be involved with our program in some capacity. I don't' wanna lose her to other schools you know. We need to create a permanent position to keep her here at UT. That's where the necessary retirement of Ralph comes in. But nobody knows what future holds for us tomorrow, and we'll just keep chugging along w/ whatever is handed to us.

How old is Ralph, does anyone know? I do like the idea of Karen taking over the team fairly soon. The two of them have worked well as a coaching team--you have two sets of eyes to evaluate and analyze--but I can see where there might be a downside: They each individually interact with players, and some players could get mixed signals from the two--Ralph mentioning one thing and Karen another. I'm not suggesting that's an issue, but it could be. It would be great if Shipman could stay with the program and get a permanent spot, though we might need to look at our pitching coaching first and foremost. I know we have one, and he may be doing a great job--but it was very disappointing that he and the Weeklys could not solve Aucoin's control problem this year. We needed her, and they could not get her to perform. And it was hard to know what we were getting from Gabriel from game to game--she was wildly inconsistent, pitching wonderfully one game and getting hit the next. Gaffin, not even recruited as a pitcher, as I recall, was our most dependable pitcher.

Ralph is 64-66 yrs old, in that age range I think, whereas Karen is significantly younger at 50-51. In all practicality, Ralph can retire right now and be happy with what he's accomplished in the sport of softball. He's had a good ride. It's a Hall of Fame worthy resume. That elusive national championship or two he's missed out on wouldn't keep him up at night, I doubt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there ever was co-head coaches who've won a national championship of any kind together. How clearly defined the responsibilities/roles might be between the two, having two head coaches/two potentially dissenting voices can sometimes cause some confusion/chaos at the players' end. And we need every opportunity and advantage to go our way to win a ball game. Who's the real CEO and who's a supporting COO? I think with a tandem of wife & husband we have it's helpful in recruiting. Kids can identify with them b/c they've dealt w/ their parents all their lives. It reminds them of their mom and dad. We always seem to get a top 5 recruiting class yr in and yr out to prove that point. But, once they get on campus and start going through daily work outs, team meetings, film sessions, batting practices, bull pen workouts, conference competition, post season play, et al, maybe we need to have one dominant person to take a full charge who can direct all the traffic with firmness and precision of a surgeon instead of a team of two who might disagree and argue on strategies, pitching sequences, starting line-ups and so on. It has worked for most part getting the program to the 7 WCWS appearances in the last 11 yrs. But a lot of great players have helped achieve that.

Of course, if they come back and reach that pinnacle --win it all next yr or the next two all these concerns go away immediately, buried for good and never resurfaces again...

VN Store

Back