Matt Stinchcomb ranks the Top 10 SEC RB's

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
http://www.secsports.com/video/13328475/ranking-top-sec-running-backs

Has Hurd ranked #8.

Trying not to be a homer, but I think Hurd is in the Top 5 easily.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
4. Russel Hansbrough (Mizz)
5. Jonathan Williams (Ark)
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

It's worth noting that UT (of course) plays 4 of the Top 5 SEC RB's this year. There are actually only 2 on the list we don't play against.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
hard to argue, given the ? we may have on the O line. there are a lot of good RB's in the SEC this year, with what is at least perceived as, with better O lines.... plus Hurd will split time with Kamara, so who knows how that will impact carries, yards, td's etc........

it'll be interesting though to come back to this at the end of the year and see how it all pans out.

When you're rating RBs you're essentially rating the OL and the RB. So in this case, this looks right.

This OL is the worst in the entire Tennessee Vol history so we don't really know the full potential of Hurd yet.

Reactions: 1 person
hard to argue, given the ? we may have on the O line. there are a lot of good RB's in the SEC this year, with what is at least perceived as, with better O lines.... plus Hurd will split time with Kamara, so who knows how that will impact carries, yards, td's etc........

it'll be interesting though to come back to this at the end of the year and see how it all pans out.
They shouldn't rank the players by how many yards they will get due to their OL.

I think Hurd will get his love after this season. Anyone seen that article about Hurd being the most disrespected back? Even splitting carries with Kamara I think he has a breakout season.

Reactions: 6 people
http://www.secsports.com/video/13328475/ranking-top-sec-running-backs

Has Hurd ranked #8.

Trying not to be a homer, but I think Hurd is in the Top 5 easily.

1. Chubb
2. Leonard Fournette
3. Derrick Henry
4. Russel Hansbrough (Mizz)
5. Jonathan Williams (Ark)
6. Roc Thomas (Aub)
7. Alex Collins (Ark)
8. Hurd
9. Ralph Webb (Vandy)
10. Kelvin Taylor

It's worth noting that UT (of course) plays 4 of the Top 5 SEC RB's this year. There are actually only 2 on the list we don't play against.

Thoughts?

Henry to 2, Williams to 4, Hurd to 6

When you're rating RBs you're essentially rating the OL and the RB. So in this case, this looks right.

The OL, just last season, was the worst in the entire Tennessee Vol history so we don't really know the full potential of Hurd yet.

fyp

Lord, may it never be again like that. :no:

Reactions: 3 people
Put Hurd behind an even OL as everyone else and he's every bit as good as Chubb, Fournette, etc

Yup. This is my pro-Hurd argument:

899 rushing yards. 1120 total yards.

-Worst O-line probably in the history of UT
-Played against the best SEC East D-lines (Mizzou, Florida)
-Played against 2 of the best SEC West D-lines (Ole Miss, Bama)
-Played against a very good Oklahoma D-line.
-Iowa's D-line was no slouch.
-Hurd wasn't even the starter until mid-season.
-Hurd was out for 2 stat-padding games (UTC, Vandy)

Still ended up with 1120 all-purpose.

Reactions: 23 people
I would put Hurd ahead of Hansbrough and Thomas and on par with the Arky backs. Hurd could have a record season and be Top 3 next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't worry about the rankings and let them all keep thinking Mr.Hurd is a underdog, by the time mid season rolls around go back and look at the rankings and see that Jalen Hurd is one of the top two backs and how foolish the rankings were... GBO!!!

Put down the orange Kool-aid my friend! Go back and watch some games from last year. Chubb and Fournette are on a completely different level regardless of OL play. They make their own openings and explode. Hurd is more of a run you over semi truck and will be a great player for us. But based on what the other two did last year he not quite in that class. You could make an argument for top 5 but anything more is the orange glasses talking.

If you don't want to look at the film check out Nick Chubb last 6 games or so of last year.

Put Hurd behind an even OL as everyone else and he's every bit as good as Chubb, Fournette, etc

Reactions: 4 people
Put down the orange Kool-aid my friend! Go back and watch some games from last year. Chubb and Fournette are on a completely different level regardless of OL play. They make their own openings and explode. Hurd is more of a run you over semi truck and will be a great player for us. But based on what the other two did last year he not quite in that class. You could make an argument for top 5 but anything more is the orange glasses talking.

If you don't want to look at the film check out Nick Chubb last 6 games or so of last year.

I'd agree with that

Everybody wants to believe that their guy can stack up with anybody at the beginning of the season. I knew about Chubb as a HS player and knew about his physical aspects as well as his intelligence and work ethic. Kid skipped spring break to work on his lower body strength and conditioning. We potentially have 3 of the best we've ever had in the same backfield. Hurd is a tough back who will gain recognition as he progresses. Chubb can be a Heisman.

Reactions: 2 people
Everybody wants to believe that their guy can stack up with anybody at the beginning of the season. I knew about Chubb as a HS player and knew about his physical aspects as well as his intelligence and work ethic. Kid skipped spring break to work on his lower body strength and conditioning. We potentially have 3 of the best we've ever had in the same backfield. Hurd is a tough back who will gain recognition as he progresses. Chubb can be a Heisman.

Oh no, don't get it twisted, Chubb is the best in the SEC, maybe the best in CFB. Anyone would be crazy to think otherwise.

I do think Hurd is right there with Fournette. Fournette was basically running behind a senior O-line last year.

Reactions: 6 people
Look at it this way with Fournette, as a freshman he was playing at 230 lbs. It has taken Hurd an entire season to get up to that weight. In all fairness Hurd is a year younger born Jan 96 while Fournette was born Jan 95.

Look at it this way with Fournette, as a freshman he was playing at 230 lbs. It has taken Hurd an entire season to get up to that weight. In all fairness Hurd is a year younger born Jan 96 while Fournette was born Jan 95.

Yeah it took him a year, but he is currently 12 pounds heavier than that weight.

I think Hurd's best quality is that he could fall under a speed or power back. I guess would lean towards power with the elite speed in the NCAA, but he can get the edge.
Fournette is pretty dang good but I think Hurd is right behind.

Hurd is better than the Arky duo.

Kamara will prove better than the Arky duo.

Bielema's "borderline erotic" system props them up.

Put Hurd in the same system and he is racking up bigger numbers than a lot of Hypesmen winners.

VN Store

Back