Tennessee's 2017 Recruiting Class Has Potential to Be Best of Butch Jones Era

Forgot about Bars considering we never had a fair chance but dang, would have been nice to have him this season.

2017 is gonna be a critical year for us. Its most likely gonna be the RELOAD class for Butch. I expect a mass exodus of underclassmen in 2017 as many of our 2014 recruits are gonna be draft eligible. Guys like Jalen Hurd, Alvin Kamara, Josh Malone, Ethan Wolf, Jashon Robertson, Derek Barnett, Todd Kelly Jr., Justin Martin, and Emmanuel Moseley could all be leaving early for the draft. Also we'd be losing seniors like Josh Dobbs and Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Marquez North and Cam Sutton should be gone by 2016).

With that much talent potentially leaving, the 2017 class should be quite large and hopefully loaded with talent.

2017 is gonna be a critical year for us. Its most likely gonna be the RELOAD class for Butch. I expect a mass exodus of underclassmen in 2017 as many of our 2014 recruits are gonna be draft eligible. Guys like Jalen Hurd, Alvin Kamara, Josh Malone, Ethan Wolf, Jashon Robertson, Derek Barnett, Todd Kelly Jr., Justin Martin, and Emmanuel Moseley could all be leaving early for the draft. Also we'd be losing seniors like Josh Dobbs and Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Marquez North and Cam Sutton should be gone by 2016).

With that much talent potentially leaving, the 2017 class should be quite large and hopefully loaded with talent.

A majority of people on this board way overestimate the number of players who enter the draft early. Only 98 went last year and you expect 11 of our players to do it in one year. If they did, we just won a national championship.

A majority of people on this board way overestimate the number of players who enter the draft early. Only 98 went last year and you expect 11 of our players to do it in one year. If they did, we just won a national championship.

True. I think he's saying that we have the possibility of losing a couple of our playmakers. I certainly don't believe all those guys would leave early. Maybe three or four guys tops. Barnett I would think is gone assuming he stays healthy and his production continues to be at beast level. Hurd and Kamara might just because of the wear and tear on RBs. Other than those I don't see it honestly.

I guess you missed the word COULD. I simply said those players could leave.

That number constitutes three full rounds of the NFL draft. Juniors who choose to enter the draft really need to exercise better judgment in assessing whether it realistically is in their best financial interests to declare early for the draft or return for their senior season in hopes of improving their draft prospects. Consider the following data: "By the deadline in mid-January, a total of 84 players with eligibility remaining filled out their paperwork to make themselves available for the 2015 NFL draft. As noted by Dane Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com, 24 of those 84 players went undrafted as the seven-round event concluded yesterday evening.

While that’s 28.6 percent, it’s actually a better rate than a year ago. In 2014, 36.7 percent (36 of 98) of the early entrants went undrafted. That total of 98 last year was a record number of draft-eligible players who left with eligibility remaining, which prompted the NFL to change its protocol in an attempt to roll back the number of players leaving early.” Nearly 30 percent of early entries weren’t selected in NFL draft | CollegeFootballTalk

For juniors who are clearly projected to go in the first half of the first round, it certainly makes sense to take the NFL plunge. For the rest, there is more than enough competition with the senior class, let alone 60-70 other juniors.

VN Store

Back