OU Position Group Comparisons

dhb92

Watching the 2015 preview has got me pumped for our first true home game. So which team has the edge at each position group?

Offense:
QB: Even, slight edge to VOLS with Dobbs mobility
RB: Sooners
WR: VOLS
Oline: Even

Defense:
Dline: VOLS, this could be the game changer for us
LB: Sooners
Secondary: Even

I think we match up extremely evenly and I think the game comes down to the 4th quarter unless our dline is really able to dominate from the get go.

How could you say we're even at QB, when the guy on the other side hasn't played in over a season?

I'd say we're closer to being even with them at RB (their strongest position), than they are even with us at QB.

Reactions: 17 people
QB - Vols
Backs - I honestly think Even but Ill concede the Sooners have a slight cuz IDK and I know thetve got good depth everywhere.
WRs - We have to say Even until these boys get 100%!
OL - Sooners without even knowing their situation.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, the guys on the RTI podcast were saying their QB was very average. They said he was a Rick Clausen type; maybe a little better than lil Ricky.

Reactions: 1 person
From the OU perspective.....

QB: Vol
RB: OU
WR: even
OL: VOL
DL: even
LB: OU
DB: Vol
ST: OU

Our OL is our biggest question mark, followed by our secondary.

How bad is your o-line? I can't imagine it is worse than ours. That is at worst a draw.

And our d-line gets an edge. Change those two and you *might* be right. But I'd be curious about ST. I don't know your players there, but Medley is a fantastic young kicker, we were one of the best on kick coverage in the SEC last year, and we have electric kick returners. Punter is a question mark, but we should be at least okay there when someone wins this competition.

I'd also say that RB is close to a wash. But I'll allow a *slight* edge, out of kindness.

Reactions: 3 people

Our OL is our biggest question mark, followed by onwur secondary.

Fair comparison.Both have strengths and both have unknowns.Should be a great game between two historically strong teams.Your a good rival poster.Like to see your opinions.

Reactions: 2 people
Watching the 2015 preview has got me pumped for our first true home game. So which team has the edge at each position group?

Offense:

Defense:
Seco
I think we match up extremely evenly and I think the game comes down to the 4th quarter unless our dline is really able to dominate from the get go.

I'm not so sure the Vols Oline is SEC quality right now, your aparently think they match Oklahoma's Oline, you may however, change your mind after the game.

Offense:

Defense:

Thanks for bringing up this category, OP. Nice job. Here's another take.

OFFENSE:
QB: Vols. Ferocious D-lines will be problematic for both QBs but Dobbs is indeed the only one that's mobile. Plus, it appears he's got more skill position options at his disposal.
RB: Even. OU has some top-tier, future NFL backs that'll be hard to corral, but don't underestimate JH and AK when comparing them to anybody's ball carriers. By year's end nobody will.....ever again.
O-line: Sooners. Only one returning starter, but he's a valid AA candidate. The deep talent and experience with OU's group should give them a slight edge,despite UT's greater-than-expected improvement.
WR: Vols. If these guys play with a vengeful attitude, look out! Additionally, if Dobbs is connecting on deep routes by games end, then all those race horses are going to be competing for bombs. Too much talent and depth wearing orange.

Defense:
D-line: Vols. Only a couple of schools boast such formidable beasts as a unit. This much depth is going to flat do in some opponents this year.
LB: Sooners. Give our guys a few games together, then I'd maybe rate it even...but not by September 12th.
Secondary. Vols. Wow! When's the last time UT had lock-down corners on both sides? Safeties are fast and solid and for the first time in a decade, the Vols have a couple of nickel backs that'll end those third-and-ouch's and start the trend of pick sixes coming out of that position. No more can QBs put their best receivers in the slot and tear up whoever's covering the middle.

I'll say it now. It's UT's advantage that this game is being played so early in the season; plus at home. OU is a very good, well-coached and highly motivated football team. They're just not going to handle what's about to smack 'em in their mouths. GBO!

Reactions: 4 people
OUs OL will be bad too. Basically lost everyone except Darlington. They are worried about it in Norman for sure. Their secondary was atrocious the second half of the year as well.

Offense:

Defense:

Oline even? Lol, maybe against Bowling Green

Our OL was literally the worst OL in Division 1 football last year. We're expecting improvement, but we still have guards and centers playing tackle and will likely start a true freshman at RG. Our OL will more than likely still be below to well below average. Trust me....advantage Oklahoma

Don't the OU fans remember their D playing whack-a-mole with Worley last year? Our O-like may be a bit better, but if they don't have the advantage here they might want to start thinking about betting on us running away with this game.

Doubt our O-line is even

They lost 2 starters and one backup on their two-deep from last year and they have recently had 3 injuries on their 2-deep in the past couple weeks. It is not a strength.

Last edited:
How could you say we're even at QB, when the guy on the other side hasn't played in over a season?

I'd say we're closer to being even with them at RB (their strongest position), than they are even with us at QB.

Because he beat out the guy who beat us last year and had tremendous stats as a freshman. And our QB, while having flashes of greatness, also had struggles against the likes of Mizzou and Vandy. While I understand there are major differences in competition and that Dobbs has improved from last year I subjectively can't put us that far ahead of them at the position. Do I think at the end of the game these will still be the same? Not necessarily but we need to prove it.

As for RB, I was tempted to put even. I put an advantage to OU simply based on depth.

OU has a really talented linebacker corps. If they stack the box (which I expect they will do) then it could be a rough night moving the football on the ground, both for our RBs and for Dobbs. That is what I'm concerned most about in this game. If we can't establish a run game then Dobbs will have to rely on his arm; that's not something I have a lot of confidence in yet, to be honest. For whatever reason, I feel like our defense is going to step up big in this game and really put a lot of pressure Mayfield.

Gonna be a good game.

Heard on SiriusXM today that OK is probably a lot better than anyone thinks they'll be...probably won't win Big 12, but a big sleeper team. Could be a difficult game

Heard on SiriusXM today that OK is probably a lot better than anyone thinks they'll be...probably won't win Big 12, but a big sleeper team. Could be a difficult game

I'll take our odds with the 3rd year of our D vs the first year of their O. They fell off after us last year but I think playing them early is in our favor this year because they'll get better during the season.

VN Store

Back