Memorable/surprising performances at UT

MurphyVol

Kelly Washington- 256 receiving yards vs LSU

Darick Rogers- 67/1040 to lead SEC in receiving

Bobby Scott- 385 yards passing at UF...in a 1970 offense

AJ Suggs- 37 of 59 for 312 yards, 2 TDs and 2 2pt conversions against Saban's LSU Tigers. 37 completions tied with Manning.

Tee- 24 consecutive completions

Carl Pickens- In 1989, Pickens saw time at WR, Safety, Kick Returner and Punt Returner.

-7 catches for 81 yards and 2 TD.
-4 Punt returns for 46 yards
-26 kick returns for 594 yards and 1 TD
-4 INTs, one returned for a TD

Only Gault had a better season on KRs. His 4 ints came in his only 4 starts on D. He had one int each game. He scored on O, D, and ST. Charles Woodson who?

Reactions: 3 people

AJ Suggs- 37 of 59 for 312 yards, 2 TDs and 2 2pt conversions against Saban's LSU Tigers. 37 completions tied with Manning.

Carl Pickens- In 1989, Pickens saw time at WR, Safety, Kick Returner and Punt Returner.

Only Gault had a better season on KRs. His 4 ints came in his only 4 starts on D. He had one int each game. He scored on O, D, and ST. Charles Woodson who?

Chuck Webb goes down with blown knee against Pacific and the next week Tony Thompson goes for 248 yards versus Mississippi State in Starkville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxfBYocSfU

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Condredge Holloway evading the Clemson defense before throwing the famous 2 point conversion pass to Larry Seivers to defeat the Tigers in Knoxville, 29-28, on October 26, 1974.

Ten years ago next month. LSU transfer Rick Clausen takes over at halftime for Ainge and brings UT back from 21 points down to win in OT 30-27, forever silencing LSU smartalecs who said Clausen just wasn't good enough to win in Death Valley.

Washington game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SimN4uNp98

Tee Martin game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCQl3I5ZJy8

Chuck Webb 1990 Cotton Bowl vs Arky, rushed for 250 yards and 2 td's. The 1989 season he rushed for 1236 yards second only to E. Smith in the sec and only started 5 games, he was 8th in the nation. Also his 5.91 ypc is still a UT record for a season, minimum 200 carries.

Last edited:
Chris White absolutely came out of nowhere to earn All-American honors in his only year as a starter. "As a fifth-year senior in 1985, White made his first career start in the season opener against UCLA as an injury replacement. Three interceptions later, White had secured his place as the Vols' starter the rest of the season. He recorded nine interceptions on the season to lead the NCAA. White ended with 62 tackles and three fumble recoveries." University of University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football

Reactions: 2 people
Chris White absolutely came out of nowhere to earn All-American honors in his only year as a starter. "As a fifth-year senior in 1985, White made his first career start in the season opener against UCLA as an injury replacement. Three interceptions later, White had secured his place as the Vols' starter the rest of the season. He recorded nine interceptions on the season to lead the NCAA. White ended with 62 tackles and three fumble recoveries." University of University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Football

Chris White another favorite of mine. VolRex are you coming to any games this year. You are always welcome at our tailgate.

In 1983, on a defense that included Reggie White, Dale Jones, Kahlil's dad, and Carl Zander, our leading tackler was Alvin Toles, a former fullback who had converted to linebacker before the start of the season.

Chris White another favorite of mine. VolRex are you coming to any games this year. You are always welcome at our tailgate.

Thank you very much for the kind invitation, UT_Dutchman. Unfortunately, I am the primary care provider for my mother, who is in advanced stages of Alzheimer's, so we will be vigorously supporting the Big Orange via our big-screen television.

Ten years ago next month. LSU transfer Rick Clausen takes over at halftime for Ainge and brings UT back from 21 points down to win in OT 30-27, forever silencing LSU smartalecs who said Clausen just wasn't good enough to win in Death Valley.

Probably one of my favorite games ever. My dad had called me earlier fun trash talking about how we didn't gave a chance. When the game was over I called him back, he said hello, I said lswho? And just laughed.

Thank you very much for the kind invitation, UT_Dutchman. Unfortunately, I am the primary care provider for my mother, who is in advanced stages of Alzheimer's, so we will be vigorously supporting the Big Orange via our big-screen television.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, I wish you all the best. Some things are just more important than football and family is at the top of that list. You have always helped me with good information and maybe one day I can return the favor. Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back