Bryce Brown: A Lesson in Pride

WiseOlVol

On October 27, 2015, Brown signed with the Seattle Seahawks. On November 21, 2015, he was waived.

Had he played it straight at UT, he'd have come out after his 3rd year in the 1st or 2nd round with a fat contract to set him up for life.

Instead, he came out as a free agent, had undeveloped skills, and now must get a job.

A word to the wise: Game the system at your peril.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I really don't see the point of this thread. He made a choice. We've all made or will make decisions that will impact our future. Sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't. You have to live with the consequences. Hindsight 101.

Reactions: 39 people
I completely forgot about him. I will probably forget about him again right after I leave this thread.

Reactions: 14 people
I really don't see the point of this thread. He made a choice. We've all made or will make decisions that will impact our future. Sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't. You have to live with the consequences. Hindsight 101.

People forget that by most accounts his father had a lot to do with Bruce's decision making. He had the crazy home life of a family that was dreaming of spending his first round paycheck. I feel for the guy. When you're young and people you trust are pushing you in wrong, insane directions, there's not much light at the end of that tunnel.

Reactions: 21 people
Just because he stayed doesn't mean he would have developed into a first rounder. He had a decent freshman season, but not up to his 5 star billing behind Hardesty.

Reactions: 4 people
People forget that by most accounts his father had a lot to do with Bruce's decision making. He had the crazy home life of a family that was dreaming of spending his first round paycheck. I feel for the guy. When you're young and people you trust are pushing you in wrong, insane directions, there's not much light at the end of that tunnel.

I'll never forget hearing his Dad being interviewed on the radio. The poor kid never had a chance and I don't want to know what Kiffin pulled to get him here in the first place.

Reactions: 13 people
I'll never forget hearing his Dad being interviewed on the radio. The poor kid never had a chance and I don't want to know what Kiffin pulled to get him here in the first place.

The guy liked free tv's.....cant blame him :)

This thread makes me wonder whether OP was just waiting for Brown to get cut so he could make an "I told you so, Bryce" post.

The guy played hard for us. The way some people throw all of that out the window when a guy transfers, and start rooting against him like he's the enemy, makes absolutely no sense to me.

Reactions: 14 people
On October 27, 2015, Brown signed with the Seattle Seahawks. On November 21, 2015, he was waived.

Had he played it straight at UT, he'd have come out after his 3rd year in the 1st or 2nd round with a fat contract to set him up for life.

Instead, he came out as a free agent, had undeveloped skills, and now must get a job.

A word to the wise: Game the system at your peril.

Easy to kick a man when he's down. To bad he didn't live up to the standards you set for him.

Reactions: 2 people
500 yards in mop up duty for a guy who ran for 1300 is more than solid.
Coulda/ shoulda/ woulda. We will never know how good Bryce would or would not have ended up being at UT. I don't think he amounted into what people expected by any means. I'm curious as to what his stats were at Kansas State.

Last edited:
Coulda/ shoulda/ woulda. We will never know how good Bryce would or would not have ended up being at UT. I don't think he amounted unto what people expected by any means. I'm curious as to what his stats were at Kansas State.

Who said anything about woulda, coulda, shoulda? I didn't make a prediction. I dispelled your notion that he didn't play like a 5*. He didn't put up crazy stats because he was playing behind a SR, NFL back and we didn't need him to put up crazy stats. Not relying on a true FR isn't a knock on his skills, it's a testament to what was in front of him.

I hold no ill will towards BB. His coach left and ultimately so did he, happens all the time with college athletes. And as has been noted, he had an agent-like father who dictated for him. His brother left Miami and ended up at KSU too thanks to dad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Who said anything about woulda, coulda, shoulda? I didn't make a prediction. I dispelled your notion that he didn't play like a 5*. He didn't put up crazy stats because he was playing behind a SR, NFL back and we didn't need him to put up crazy stats. Not relying on a true FR isn't a knock on his skills, it's a testament to what was in front of him.
I understand that, of course Hardesty was our workhorse in 2009. The guy was a warrior and carried the load. I'm simply saying that Brown was hyped up an extremely high amount. I mean Fournette had to beat out a pretty good stable of running backs at LSU last season as a Freshman and look what he did. To automatically assume Brown would have been a first rounder had he stayed here is pretty foolish IMO. Besides I said Brown had a decent Freshman year. 500 yards is exactly that. Not great, not terrible.

Just because he stayed doesn't mean he would have developed into a first rounder. He had a decent freshman season, but not up to his 5 star billing behind Hardesty.

No guarantee for sure. But, had he submitted, and worked hard, he would have had a real good shot at a top 2 round draft pick. Even, coming out of the Dooley regime.

VN Store

Back