Recruiting Forum: Official Vanderbilt Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
The Vols wrap up the regular season with a visit from our neighbors to the west, Vandy. Tennessee can finish with 8 wins for the first time since Fulmer patrolled the sidelines, and Vandy can continue to be Vandy, as the Derek Mason era plods along.

I am going to cite Aesius excellent post from earlier this week, to avoid a lawsuit :) This should suffice for enough reasoning behind the keys to victory:

Red zone offense: Dead last in FBS. They've only been to the red zone 28 times (!) with 17 scores, 6 of those being field goals. 11 offensive touchdowns all year in the red zone.

Total offense: 119th in FBS. 16 total offensive touchdowns. A whole bunch of those came against hapless Austin Peay.

Passing offense: 112th in FBS. 8 touchdowns to 15 INTs. I'm not sure how many of those picks led directly to scores for the other team, but #teamanalytics suggests that the Dores passing the ball at all is not a good idea this year.

Completion percentage: 108th in FBS. Their QBs are completing 51.8 percent of their passes.

Rushing offense: 93rd in FBS. What?! Vandy isn't in the bottom 20 of an offensive statistical category? Oh....they average 3.60 yards per carry on the ground with 8 touchdowns on the season. In other words: they run Ralph Webb a lot. He gets tackled at the line of scrimmage a lot. He's a 1,000 yard rusher now with about 800 carries on the season.

Punt return defense: 117th in FBS. Opponents average 13.27 yards per return.

Turnover margin: 108th in FBS. 15 takeaways, 24 giveaways. That ain't winning football.

Net punting: 119th in FBS. 33.95 yards/punt average. No Trevor Daniel lurking on West End.

Oh, and their defense is pretty good, but actually worse than Mizzou's statistically. 5 yards per play allowed vs Mizzou's 4.38. 20 touchdowns allowed vs Mizzou's 18.

There's no reason for us to not absolutely crush them.

Keys to Victory:

1. Mizzou redux: This seriously matches up so close to the Mizzou game, it's ridiculous... down to the uniform color of the opponent. The coaches will come with a similar gameplan to what we had last week, which means the offense will be vanilla, and the defense will force Vandy to make a play on offense.

2. Win the Kicking Game: Vandy averages 12 yards less per punt than TN. In a game of field position, that adds up to scores really quick. Even better... their punt defense is 117th. It is not a stretch to say that we could average an extra 25 yards, per kick exchange, not counting what the offenses actually produce. Sutton or Kamara may put another one in the endzone. Vandy does well defending kick-offs, but they should not have many opportunities to do that, and Berry may only get a shot or two.

3. Pin yo ears: Given how bad Vandy is on offense, Jancek should be able to turn the defense loose on the QB. The growth of Kirkland, improvement of the secondary in general, and introduction of Justin Martin specifically, have improved the performance of the defense. The DL is getting pressure, though not always securing the sack, but look for Vandy to have a rough, rough day on offense. 200 yards total is not out of the question.

4. Dose of Hurd:
Jalen is coming off of a career day vs. the supposedly great rushing defense of Mizzou. Vandy has a supposedly great rushing defense as well, but UGA put up 281 on the ground. The truth is, Vandy has not faced many good offenses. Tennessee should be able to rush for 200+ once again.

Prediction:
This is Vandy's bowl game. The players are also Franklin holdovers, which means they carry a deep disdain for Tennessee, and somehow, think this is "their state", which is like when your 3 year old starts giving you orders at the dinner table. Such bluster is cute for a moment, but when it's time to set things straight... we set things straight, and there is no doubt about who wears the big boy pants.

TN 31
Vandy 10

Reactions: 12 people
Defense won't allow 10 points to this offense. Another Big Orange BEATDOWN!!!!

I originally had 3 for Vandy, and would agree with you. I've allowed a 7 point margin of error in my final prediction. I honestly can't see them getting in the endzone.:hi:

Games like this feature a team with nothing to lose. Vandy will dig into the magic card for some trickery 2-3 times. They may go for it on 4th down 3-4 times.

Reactions: 1 person
Destroy Vandy in every way. Put them under our sh***y field.

It's their super bowl every year. Score quickly, put them away early. Hope Hurd runs all over them. Finish the season 8-4.

Sadly can't believe it's already the last game of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope we hang 50 on the CommodeDoors. They will probably get 7-10 garbage time points to keep it from being a shutout. Vols roll easily. :dance2:

There aren't any like a bunch of pasty, short chubby little Seniors we have to dust off and play are there? Hope not but Butch is a loyal considerate guy. Young bucks need all the snaps they can get.

Time to beat that little red-headed stepchild to the west, Jerry DiNardo style. I don't just wanna beat them...

I want them brought from their happy holiday slumber over there on West End with all the other rich people and I want them brought right here, with a big ribbon on their heads, and I want to look them straight in the eye and I want to tell them what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, spineless, hopeless, heartless, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey dung they are! Hallelujah! Holy cow! Where's the Tylenol?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back