How long before we win SEC CHAMPIONSHIP????

I40flyer

keeping it real
Bowls, are wonderful, in fact I wish there were at least 40 so "everyone" could go! Oh, wait, I'm sorry there are 40 bowls-80 teams going!!! I'd like to hear CBJ standup and state how much longer it'll take for us to win the SEC Championship. I believe the SEC is the finest Conference in the country, if we can set our sights on winning the SEC-we'll win the National Championship. Statements such as, "We're going to a bowl this year....", don't mean all that much (80 other teams can say the same thing). Butch, how long is it going to take before Tenn is the SEC champion?????:hi::cray::whistling:

Last edited:
Vols will win the SEC East next season. (And I'm a Bama guy saying that.) Florida will probably close this season with two straight losses, to FSU this Saturday, and Bama in the SEC CG. They'll have a good team next year, but the Vols are back to being a contender each year. Vols should have been a top 10 team this year, judging by the close losses. Next year, the expectations will be higher. And I think Bama and Tenn will play twice, once in regular season and again in SEC championship. We'll see. I actually think Tennessee was the toughest team Bama played this year (and the score pretty much proves it). Ole Miss beat Bama only because of five turnovers that gifted them at least 24 points. Tennessee played Bama when the Tide was clicking on all cylinders, and still almost won the game. Vols are back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 43 people

Really? I actually think that could be a down year for us. We would lose so many of our best players that year. Dobbs, Sutton, and JRM will have graduated. Hurd and Barnett will almost certainly enter the draft. That's our 5 best players all leaving. We will also most likely be breaking in a redshirt freshmen QB Jarrett Guarantano as the starter.

That's alot of talent to replace in one year and expect a championship.

Our best shot at the SEC title is 2016. Then again in 2018 and 2019.

Reactions: 2 people
Really? I actually think that could be a down year for us. We would lose so many of our best players that year. Dobbs, Sutton, and JRM will have graduated. Hurd and Barnett will almost certainly enter the draft. That's our 5 best players all leaving. We will also most likely be breaking in a redshirt freshmen QB Jarrett Guarantano as the starter.

That's alot of talent to replace in one year and expect a championship.

Our best shot at the SEC title is 2016. Then again in 2018 and 2019.

I can never really figure out the best move for running backs. With the elite running backs who will definitely be leaving early (Fournette, Chubb, and Cook), it may behoove Hurd to wait around one more season. I respect guys striking while their iron is hot, especially running backs, but I think Hurd is better off waiting until the following year to be the best in the country.

And this is coming from a guy that fully supported Scotty Hopson going as a junior, even though he was clearly not NBA-ready.

I can never really figure out the best move for running backs. With the elite running backs who will definitely be leaving early (Fournette, Chubb, and Cook), it may behoove Hurd to wait around one more season. I respect guys striking while their iron is hot, especially running backs, but I think Hurd is better off waiting until the following year to be the best in the country.

And this is coming from a guy that fully supported Scotty Hopson going as a junior, even though he was clearly not NBA-ready.

Running backs have such a short shelf life that you gotta go pro as soon as possible. I think Hurd will be a 1st round prospect in 2017 along with all those other studs.

2017 draft will be the year of the RB.

There's so many things that play into winning the SEC Championship.

I honestly believe we'll Win it next season.

IF we have no serious injuries.

IF our O line learns to pass block better.

IF Dobbs passing accuracy improves all the way around and he can consistently hit the long passes too.

IF the guys replacing our guys that graduate this year or leave early to try to grab the NFL $$$ can really step up and play as well or better than the guys that leave.

Being totally realistic, without my Big Orange sunglasses on, If the questions above happen in our favor I think we'll WIN the SEC Championship next season and all of us will joyfully be screaming...WE ARE BACK!!!

If Sutton and JRM return for their Senior season and our recruiting class is as good as we think it will be then I WILL place 2 bets, 1 to WIN the SEC Championship and the other to WIN the National Championship.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

2017...17 years from now...anytime that the number is "17" or a combination of the #s = 17...

With the run left, run right, run middle, punt offense 8-4 to 9-6 may be the best we can hope for. I don't think this offensive scheme will ever Win championships in the SEC. Imo

I was wondering the same thing yesterday, so I did a little research. Looking at seasons back to 1985 for comparison, I compared average points scored and allowed per game and looking at the line of scrimmage, I compared rushing yards gained and allowed per game. Other variables apply such as quarterback play, turnovers percentage, and field goals percentage but not as much as the two obvious statistics.
What I found was a simple formula, you have to score twice as much as you allow on defense and you have to be on the positive side rushing the ball versus allowed rushing.
1998 NC team was a plus 108 rushing, the highest percentage going back thirty years, defense allowed 14.5 points per game while offense scored 31.
When looking at Fulmer years after 1998, defense were normally solid however the offense production went down sporadically, when Cutcliffe wasn't there especially noticeable was our ability to run the ball.
During the dooley time passing yards went up however rushing the ball went down and defense numbers got worse every year.
Since Butch has taken over I found something very positive, every year offense point production went up and defensively points allowed went down. This year we are on the positive side rushing the ball by a +62, the highest total differential in a very long time. We are averaging 32 points per game and allowing 20,5 points per game. WE ARE FOUR POINTS DIFFERENTIAL FROM WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS. Ironically, our four losses total 17 points, 4.25 points per game. Three SEC games lost by only 10 points, 3.33 points per game.
In summary, if Butch and this team can make the same improvement next year as they have made in the three previous seasons, we will be seriously in the championship hunt next year. A team effort by improving offensively by three points per game and defense dropping points allowed by three will give us a six point differential, and based on the present trend that is a realistic possibility and formula for a championship run.

Championships are usually won by three plays during a season, a defensive stop on 4 and 14, a made field goal, a first down to run the clock, or a force turnover. Think 1998 versus this year. Sometimes you need a little luck along the way or simply make a crucial play in the fourth quarter.

Happy Thanksgiving, VFL

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back