Lady Vols plan to stay in attack mode

kamoshika

If Tennessee has a lead in the fourth quarter Thursday night at Vanderbilt, coach Holly Warlick is ready for a new approach at protecting it.

"I think instead of us being more conservative with the basketball, we've just got to keep attacking,'' Warlick said Wednesday before the Lady Vols boarded the bus for Nashville.

...Tennessee has actually held a lead in all 23 games this season and has been on top at halftime in 19 of them. The Lady Vols have held double-digit leads in all five SEC losses.

..."We're jelling right now, we're clicking,'' Warlick said. "We've got to do that for four quarters ... (but) we let up on a quarter and we can't do that.''

...Tennessee has actually held a lead in all 23 games this season and has been on top at halftime in 19 of them. The Lady Vols have held double-digit leads in all five SEC losses

[/url]

These two sentences pretty much sum up the season. And it's why we need a change.

Reactions: 3 people
It's one thing to talk it. It's another thing to show it. So far, all we have gotten is too much talk and very little show. Time to put up or shut up.

Reactions: 2 people
You out talent and outplay a team for 3 quarters, and you decide to continue to do the same in the 4th?

Who would have thunk it? Playing a complete 4 quarters instead of 3 may be the difference?

Shame it took so long.

Reactions: 4 people
If Tennessee has a lead in the fourth quarter Thursday night at Vanderbilt, coach Holly Warlick is ready for a new approach at protecting it.

"I think instead of us being more conservative with the basketball, we've just got to keep attacking,'' Warlick said Wednesday before the Lady Vols boarded the bus for Nashville.

...Tennessee has actually held a lead in all 23 games this season and has been on top at halftime in 19 of them. The Lady Vols have held double-digit leads in all five SEC losses.

..."We're jelling right now, we're clicking,'' Warlick said. "We've got to do that for four quarters ... (but) we let up on a quarter and we can't do that.''

They clicking their bics or what? Don't think they're clicking on the court.

Reactions: 1 person
Good Lawd. Did it only take her 22 games to figure this out? Genius, I tell you. Dr. Scholl's would be proud of her, jellin' her way to wins.

Wow.

Let's hope the coaching is jelling and we will not have to listen to a bunch of stupid excuses, explainations, and excuses during the after game interview. Now if we can have an ephinany about coaching perhaps we will have one about recruiting.

Last edited:
Warlick always claims to see what our problems are two-thirds of the way through the season. A little late!

So after numerous losses and 3rd quarter meltdowns, Holly has decided they need to stop being conservative with the ball? :eek:lol:
This team has the worst chemistry, they are so not "clicking" in any area.

Well better late than never I suppose. It has been apparent all season that this rendition of the LVs can be pretty good when playing fast, transition oriented basketball and is pretty poor when a slower, half court possession game.

The fact that Holly has apparently been putting the brakes on to "protect the lead" and thereby hamstringing her team, is headscratcher and headbanger.

Maybe she will figure out next that if a team presses Nared and Moore are not the best options over Cooper and Deshields.

She needs to STOP giving press interviews.

There is an old saying about being quiet and being thought a fool vs opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

She needs to STOP giving press interviews.

There is an old saying about being quiet and being thought a fool vs opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Sometimes I think Holly is her own worst enemy. And I am getting flashbacks of football...trying to sit on leads (Oklahoma and Florida) and shooting oneself in the foot on interviews ("we went by the chart"). However, if she wants to emulate Butch, now is the time to go on a run and sweep the rest of the games.:)

Go Lady Vols!

Sometimes I think Holly is her own worst enemy. And I am getting flashbacks of football...trying to sit on leads (Oklahoma and Florida) and shooting oneself in the foot on interviews ("we went by the chart"). However, if she wants to emulate Butch, now is the time to go on a run and sweep the rest of the games.:)

Go Lady Vols!

That's a great analogy. Unfortunately I don't see her motivating like Butch, and the flashy recruitment news damn sure ain't there. I hope to be proven wrong and be embarrassed by my pessimism.

Go Lady Vols!

Looks like the only thing that is being swept, is our season under the rug. 22 games to figure out not sitting on a lead, is not only bad coaching, but just completely insane

Deciding to play conservatively with a lead down the stretch is one thing but how does Holly explain all the collapses in the 3rd quarter ? Surely she wasn't trying to sit on the lead with 20 minutes left in the game.

When Tv announcers who have been basketball coaches and players continually talk about the weird Tennessee offense then it is certain that we are doing a lot of things wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
Why have they not been playing 4 quarters all along? Holly wants them to attack the whole game now, that's what they should have been doing all along. She needs to go!

VN Store

Back