'17 DC LB Tyree Johnson

It's no secret the defensive line position is the biggest need for the Vols defensive class in 2017. After not signing a high school defensive linemen in the class of 2016, the defensive line is a recruiting priority for the next year.

One prospect the Vols are seeking the services of is Washington D.C. defensive end Tyree Johnson from St. John's College High School. If that high school sounds familiar it should to Vol fans. Johnson is teammates with Vol signee Devante Books and the thought of joining his friend in orange has appeal.

“We are like brothers,” Johnson said. “We have a very good relationship. To have an opportunity to play with him would be awesome.”

The reality is that Johnson has the opportunity to play a lot of places. The 6-4, 240 pound athlete plays defensive end, some linebacker, and even some running back on the field and in the future his field could be at a number of schools. Johnson has offers from schools like Tennessee, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech to mame a few.

“It's been pretty crazy,” Johnson said of the process, “but I'm liking it. I'm not surprised.

“I can play anywhere they want. I can play outside linebacker, defensive end. I can play inside and get off the ball fast,” Johnson said. “It doesn't matter to me where I play.”

Johnson spoke with former Vol assistant Mark Elder some the last couple of years as Elder was recruiting Brooks. These days, Johnson has been visiting with defensive line coach Steve Stripling.

“They followed me a few days (on Twitter) before offering me,” Johnson said. “I have started talking to them a good bit. To have an opportunity to play with Devante would be cool.

“I am coming down there for the spring game on April 16th.”

Before his trip to Knoxville in April, Johnson will see Wake Forest this weekend and will see either Pittsburgh or Penn State the last weekend of February. Johnson is planning a lot of unofficial visits this spring and summer but is in no hurry for a decision.
-VQ.

Reactions: 3 people
I always like our chances when we are the first big time program these kids see. He goes to see Wake and Pitt before hand, even Penn State, gets used to the college football thing then BOOM! Butch lays the sauce on him and he is blown away by our stuff. that impression will last longer, imo, than if he had visited other big times before us.

Video up on rivals...Johnson says top 4 sticking out are UT, A&M, Maryland and Rutgers and he plans to commit this month. He likes that all of UT D staff recruits him, says coach Jones texts him all the time. He has teammates at UT and A&M. His face kind of lit up talking about A&M, based off that, aggie, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
If Ron isnt feeling it, he really must be gone lol

Last edited:
Don't know why anyone would want to go to TAMU since they will probably be going through a coaching change in the next year or two.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back