Day three of softball - wrapup

LVJeff

Softball finished up day three of the Kajikawa classic by beating San Jose State 9-2 and Northwestern 8-2.

The games started at noon and I was worried about a hangover from the tough late-night loss to ASU the night before and the earlier loss to Fresno State. But the LV's took care of business.

In the first game Matty Moss started, was replaced by Gaffin, then came back to replace Gaffin after Rainey went out due I assume from the heat. Moss showed better today than on day one. She showed some variation in location and speed that I did not see on day one. She throws hard, but when that is all she does, she gets hit and hit pretty hard. But she lasted pretty well today in game 1.

Gabriel pitched her third straight complete game with double-digit strikeouts in the second game. She is becoming near-dominant in her senior season as she is finally completely healthy. What a quality person she is and a credit to LV softball.

Ralph flipped the lineup in game 2 moving Geer and Geathers up to the 1 and 2 spot in the batting order and dropping Vines and Leach further down. I'm not sure it was needed, but Geer delivered big time with a HR and three hits.

The bats were alive in both games. Geathers is playing great. Geer and Gregg had great days at the plate.

Takeaways: Gabriel is for sure a complete-game pitcher. The rest of the rotation isn't settled. Moss showed good signs today. Gaffin left the first game due to heat and didn't play in the second game but it's clear Karen wants to use her as a closer and not a starter. Bush didn't pitch today after a subpar day 2 performance. The team needs that second pitcher to step up.

The fielding continues to be poor. Mcswain made several more miscues today. With runners on first and second she fielded a grounder and instead of throwing to first (or second) she instead tried to beat the lead runner to the 3rd base bag. She didn't and all three runners were safe. She booted a routine pop fly later. After her poor fielding performance on day 2, Ralph didn't start her today, but she came on when Gaffin left the game and Overstreet who was at third went back to catcher.

Leach dropped a fly ball. Gabriel dropped a fly and booted a grounder. Ralph said Erin's dropped fly was first baseman Aucoin's responsibility and not Erin's. But Aucoin never waved Erin off. Mcclain misplayed a fly in left field.

Overstreet had more passed balls today. I don't know what is up with that, if she's getting crossed up on the pitch or what.

On the plus side, Geer and especially Geathers made several running or sliding catches in center and right. Those two positions are solid defensively. Everybody else needs to tighten up.

The bats will be ok. If the team can get a second pitcher and clean up the fielding, they will be very good.

Reactions: 7 people
Overall a very good weekend. Ralph made the point that these tournaments are to see who's gonna contribute in April and May when it's the big games. LVJeff would you liken Matty Moss to how Ivy Renfroe pitched?

This team probably won't start jelling until about half way through the season so there will be a lot of ups and downs. With all the new faces and all the new position changes it makes it even more challenging. The biggest challenge will be grooming another pitcher or two. Garbriel and Gaffin are solid. We need one or two others to come along especially for development for next year. It will be interesting to watch Moss, Bush, and Morrison develop.

Reactions: 1 person
I certainly like the potential of Moss and the freshmen hitters. I think Erin is going to have a big season. I think Ralph should have went to Gaffin to try and close the door on Arizona State. Overall I like this team and look for them to be very tough and improve as the season progresses.

I certainly like the potential of Moss and the freshmen hitters. I think Erin is going to have a big season. I think Ralph should have went to Gaffin to try and close the door on Arizona State. Overall I like this team and look for them to be very tough and improve as the season progresses.

Erin has to develop the mental stamina to close out big games. Understand why he left her in there. She was pitching very well. Should pay dividends later on in the season hopefully.

Reactions: 1 person
Right now this team needs as much work as possible outside on real dirt and grass. They got that in Arizona and will get more in Florida. Their defense should improve dramatically.

Karen handles the pitchers. The ASU game would have been a 3-2 win for Erin except for the first inning miscue by Mcswain and passed ball by Overstreet. Erin was rolling. 11 strikeouts and no base runners after the first. A cool evening. The crowd wanted to know what was wrong with their hitters. No way she comes out. Even in the extra frame, the passed ball by Overstreet led to the win.

Another POV is this is the time of year to find out if your pitchers can go extra innings.

Erin has to develop the mental stamina to close out big games. Understand why he left her in there. She was pitching very well. Should pay dividends later on in the season hopefully.

I think 7 innings is enough to develop that. To each his own I'm going with a fresh pitcher to try to close out that game.

While we are on the subject, does that game against bama in the tourney count against the conference record since bama isn't on the schedule this year?

It is a non conference game against Alabama

Right now this team needs as much work as possible outside on real dirt and grass. They got that in Arizona and will get more in Florida. Their defense should improve dramatically.

And with the early weather reports I've seen from Knoxville looks as though they will still be inside

VN Store

Back