Spurrier to receive Neyland award

Hahaha...my favorite memory of this award is the year they gave it to Bobby Bowden right underneath the 1998 National Championship sign HAHAHA

Reactions: 8 people
I'm just trying to figure out how you get 60,000+ VOL fans to not boo when he is announced. I just don't see how the crowd reaction will turn out well.

Reactions: 4 people
Please stop the hate. He has been great for the game, great for the SEC, stepped down when he knew he was done. Yes I know all the "he quit" haters will flock to that one but he is a legend, and most of the time people don't like to ask legends to leave. He could have stayed for another two, three or four years cashing the checks and they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Respect for your opponents is something that is lost on people nowadays. He came in here and kicked our butts more times than we all care for, but at then end of the day he helped to grow the game both as a player and a coach. He not only deserves respect, he has earned it. Sure, he ran his mouth a few times but he almost always 1) backed it up, and 2) was never out of line with his comments. He was emotional in his comments a lot of the time, but I can't recall a time when he crossed the line.

He has my respect and college football and the SEC would be best served if he could coach forever in his prime.

Reactions: 35 people
Please stop the hate. He has been great for the game, great for the SEC, stepped down when he knew he was done. Yes I know all the "he quit" haters will flock to that one but he is a legend, and most of the time people don't like to ask legends to leave. He could have stayed for another two, three or four years cashing the checks and they probably wouldn't have done anything.

Respect for your opponents is something that is lost on people nowadays. He came in here and kicked our butts more times than we all care for, but at then end of the day he helped to grow the game both as a player and a coach. He not only deserves respect, he has earned it. Sure, he ran his mouth a few times but he almost always 1) backed it up, and 2) was never out of line with his comments. He was emotional in his comments a lot of the time, but I can't recall a time when he crossed the line.

He has my respect and college football and the SEC would be best served if he could coach forever in his prime.

Very honorable, decent, thoughtful sentiments here. Great sportsmanship. Well done.

I especially loved your comment about "respect for your opponents" being lost nowadays. Am I the only one who loves the irony of this comment in a post about how we should honor Steve Spurrier?

That said, it's a great post.

Nevertheless, one hard, cold truth trumps everything you wrote:

As he proved to us time and again over the years, Steve Spurrier is a first-class a$$hole. Nothing can ever change that.

Reactions: 13 people

Fine by me....I love to hate Spurrier. What he did is worth recognizing. Even though he has been a bitter enemy for Tennessee I would still hope our fans could stand up and clap for some one that has done all that he has.

Its all about class IMO. We don't have to like him, but he is a dang good coach.

Reactions: 3 people

Please stop the hate?? What a bunch of politically correct horse sh-t. 'Haters' is now the favorite little buzzword out there for people with different opinions than what you have. I saw no comment before this post that exhibited any hate--just some opinions.

Did he quit in the middle of the season on his team? You bet!! Did he ever spare Tennessee a chance to kick them when he could? I can't recall any. Is he a Tennessean? Well, I think he was born in Florida, went to Florida, and coached Florida.

If you think that makes him a Tennessean, then ok. But hey, if you're looking for 'likes', you probably will pick up a few.

You can't deny his passion or sense of humor. He was one of the greats and deserving of this award.

I guess you could say he was a worthy competitor. What he brought to the game and SEC made it more interesting and we loved to hate him back in the day. You could always count on him to fan the flames every year.

Reactions: 1 person
I know Spurrier. I don't just know his sideline persona or his news conference attitude. I KNOW him from growing up with him and his family. I've visited him and his wife, Jerri, in Gainesville and Columbia. I've played golf with him. He is far from an a$$hole. I know plenty of those, too. He is a competitor that loves the zinger. He's full of humor and -- believe it or not -- humility. Quit beating a dead horse.

Reactions: 11 people
I know Spurrier. I don't just know his sideline persona or his news conference attitude. I KNOW him from growing up with him and his family. I've visited him and his wife, Jerri, in Gainesville and Columbia. I've played golf with him. He is far from an a$$hole. I know plenty of those, too. He is a competitor that loves the zinger. He's full of humor and -- believe it or not -- humility. Quit beating a dead horse.

Biblically? TMI

Please stop the hate?? What a bunch of politically correct horse sh-t. 'Haters' is now the favorite little buzzword out there for people with different opinions than what you have. I saw no comment before this post that exhibited any hate--just some opinions.

Did he quit in the middle of the season on his team? You bet!! Did he ever spare Tennessee a chance to kick them when he could? I can't recall any. Is he a Tennessean? Well, I think he was born in Florida, went to Florida, and coached Florida.

If you think that makes him a Tennessean, then ok. But hey, if you're looking for 'likes', you probably will pick up a few.

Check your facts my friend...Spurrier was born in Johnson City and played high school ball at Science Hill.

Reactions: 5 people
Check your facts my friend...Spurrier was born in Johnson City and played high school ball at Science Hill.

Facts!

Arguably the 2 best QBs from the state of TN never played at UT. The year before Spurrier went to FL, Steve Sloan (Cleveland TN) went to AL. Both would have been Vols except UT was still plowing with the single wing.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Sorry folks but he lost all my respect when he QUIT and walked out on his team.

No man of Honor would ever do that to young college kids that he recruited so he flatout LIED to them all by being a quitter just so his record wouldn't get worse.

He should have been man enough to take his beatings just like his team had to do.

He doesn't deserve the Honor to ever step foot on UT again.

He's earned every BOO that comes at him.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Maybe you should check your facts, my friend. He was born in Miami, FL, lived as a child in NC, GA, and Virginia, before moving to TN where attended Science Hill.

The Tommy Lasorda of college football. Love to hate.

As a VOL & Yankee fan, I despised Spurrier & Lasorda back in the day. Now my perspective has changed, as both men contributed much to their sports. Hope the UT crowd gives Steve a warm ovation. Musburger? Not so much...he's a self-serving worm who should have quit long ago. :hi:

Very honorable, decent, thoughtful sentiments here. Great sportsmanship. Well done.

I especially loved your comment about "respect for your opponents" being lost nowadays. Am I the only one who loves the irony of this comment in a post about how we should honor Steve Spurrier?

That said, it's a great post.

Nevertheless, one hard, cold truth trumps everything you wrote:

As he proved to us time and again over the years, Steve Spurrier is a first-class a$$hole. Nothing can ever change that.

Exactly, Steve Spurrier never embodied sportsmanship. He is a selfish self absorbed ego maniac who only thinks about himself, and he proved it when he knew he was going to get his butt handed to him the rest of the year he "QUIT" on his team in the middle of the year! Let the fans boo, because that's what he deserves. He does not love his home state, he didn't love florida, or SC, he only loves himself! I wouldn't walk across the street to meet him... Good riddens!

Thats like Heaven giving the Devil a placard and a parade :D

Still, Spurrier Fulmer was a great rivalry and there is no doubt the old ball sack was a great coach in his time - would we even be discussing the Gators or Cocks without him having been there?

That said, I wish we hadnt been on the losing end of the exchange so often when CPF was here and Spurrier was on the other side. :(

VN Store

Back