Castigliano's Theorem

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Catchy thread title, huh? I'll be honest, I have no idea what it is, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Screen-Shot-2016-03-24-at-1.44.56-AM.png

ecaschoff#Vols quarterback Josh Dobbs showing off his aerospace engineering skills by solving castigliano's theorem for me. Yeah, I didn't get it #math

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDTgGdixWi-/

Reactions: 9 people
The best thing about Dobbs is he seems like a guy who will represent Tennessee with class when he leaves. I really hope he ends up in the NFL as a starting QB somewhere. I'll cheer for him as I did for Peyton.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 8 people
Catchy thread title, huh? I'll be honest, I have no idea what it is, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

ecaschoff#Vols quarterback Josh Dobbs showing off his aerospace engineering skills by solving castigliano's theorem for me. Yeah, I didn't get it #math

What a sophisticated way to determine the "strength of materials" along the line of scrimmage! Eat your hearts out Vandy fans!

Reactions: 1 person
That's a common core math example that basically reads: Score more points than Florida = Win.

Reactions: 6 people
Its very simple really....

Castigliano's Theorem is given as: Where δ is the deflection, U is the strain energy and P is the force (or torque) at a certain point. (usually either in GPa or ksi), A is the cross sectional area, and L is the length. Where M is the moment applied, and I is the area moment of inertia.

:sick::sick::sick:

Last edited:
I AM Castigliano, and I approved this message! :salute:

Its very simple really....

Castigliano's Theorem is given as: Where δ is the deflection, U is the strain energy and P is the force (or torque) at a certain point. (usually either in GPa or ksi), A is the cross sectional area, and L is the length. Where M is the moment applied, and I is the area moment of inertia.

:sick::sick::sick:

So you know how to Google too....:good!:

Reactions: 4 people
At first glance, I was wondering why Freak was posting an article about Oklahoma's Athletic Director.

This is sophomore level engineering . . . or at least it used to be . . . a long time ago.

The old football player = "dumb jock" paradigm is not true. I think there are roughly 3 to 5 engineering students on the team. All the players are college students after all.

Last edited:
This is sophomore level engineering . . . or at least it used to be . . . a long time ago.

The old football player = "dumb jock" paradigm is not true. I think there are roughly 3 to 5 engineering students on the team. All the players are college students after all.

The problem he is working on would be for his Aerospace Structures course. That course is normally taken in your Junior year. It covers a wide variety of topics but is more of an applied structural loading course.

The problem he is working on would be for his Aerospace Structures course. That course is normally taken in your Junior year. It covers a wide variety of topics but is more of an applied structural loading course.

Ah, yeah that makes sense. You're introduced to it early but you never get away from it when evaluating linear elastic materials.

Looks like we are implementing spider 2 y banana in the playbook this year.

VN Store

Back