D. Bates insights?

AstonRoyal

Anyone have any insights on why Dillon Bates hasn't made much noise. Was really pulling for him to be a big factor on the defense with him being so highly regarded and being a legacy.

I know he's only coming in his third year but I would've thought people would be talking about him if he was doing well.

Dat thread title tho...

Edit - nice change!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Heard that "toughness" is an issue. Not saying it's true, think it was being discussed on Swain's show.

Last edited:
bust.gif

Reactions: 8 people
Heard the same thing! The kid is just not tough enough to make in college! If i was his father I would put a light in his arse!

Heard the same thing! The kid is just not tough enough to make in college! If i was his father I would put a light in his arse!

At least not as an everyday, every down SEC LB. That's what was supposedly told to Swain by a couple of anonymous players. Tifwiw, idk, IRS, ASVAB, BYOB, BFF, FUBAR

Wow really thought he was going to be great player for us. Won't he only be RS sophomore for us this year? He still has some time.

Injuries have slowed down his career at Tennessee. Bates is still very talented but he's been in a very tough spot ever since he's stepped on campus. I would not consider him a bust when he hasn't even had the chance to show us what he's capable of doing on the field.

Reactions: 8 people
Anyone have any insights on why Dillon Bates hasn't made much noise. Was really pulling for him to be a big factor on the defense with him being so highly regarded and being a legacy.

I know he's only coming in his third year but I would've thought people would be talking about him if he was doing well.

He has to stay healthy. he continues to get hurt and be out so it is very hard to show coaches things when on the sideline..

also, if he can remain healthy he could be a very good player and not be as good as others ahead of him. Lots of potential great players don't get to show it because of others in front of them. See JRM as example. He keeps really good players on the bench

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

I think I can speak for all of volnation when I say that you are without a doubt the missing piece that will lead UT back to glory.
It isn't just your diagnostic abilities. You have that genuine stank of gridiron credibility that we can all rally around.
When you are ready, I'll pick you up and we can go whup the Bates boys.

Reactions: 9 people
As far as an every down player, it looks like TKjr may be the only one from the legacy class that makes a mark at UT.....note not counting special teams play of Evan Berry.

Reggie White.......

He was ALL-SEC, All-American, all everything from the first moment he stepped on the field at UT--am I right?

NO--he was injury-plagued and only started to shine by the end of his Junior & thru his Senior year...

I don't know--I'm not up there and watching practice every day....but give the kid time to develop and build a body able to absorb the SEC pounding a SEC LB takes....

He's still a young-un.....got plenty of time to shine....IF he can stay away from injuries....:salute:

Reactions: 15 people
As far as an every down player, it looks like TKjr may be the only one from the legacy class that makes a mark at UT.....note not counting special teams play of Evan Berry.

Still time, 2 Berry's, Bates, Creamer... Can't tell me one of these guys isnt going to leave a mark... Evan might start this fall, and he's been a game changer in the return game... 1st team All American...

I like some of the younger legacy guys like McKenzie and Warrior. With our depth in the defensive backfield and Nigel not being on campus til fall I think a redshirt year would be huge.

Reactions: 2 people
He'll be fine. With the spread offenses in college, pretty much everyone, including us, have been playing a lot in the nickel. That only leaves 2 linebackers on the field at any time, and with JRM returning, unless he unseats Kirkland, he won't see much time anyways. Relax, he's just a true sophomore, and has plenty of time ahead of him.

He'll be fine. With the spread offenses in college, pretty much everyone, including us, have been playing a lot in the nickel. That only leaves 2 linebackers on the field at any time, and with JRM returning, unless he unseats Kirkland, he won't see much time anyways. Relax, he's just a RS sophomore, and has plenty of time ahead of him.

fify

He'll be fine. With the spread offenses in college, pretty much everyone, including us, have been playing a lot in the nickel. That only leaves 2 linebackers on the field at any time, and with JRM returning, unless he unseats Kirkland, he won't see much time anyways. Relax, he's just a true sophomore, and has plenty of time ahead of him.

Redshirt sophomore

Well, if it was said on Swain's show, it must be true.

Yep, cause Swain has no more insight and doesn't talk to anymore players and coaches than the rest of us yahoos on VN. I know most of us get to attend practice and can head on up to the facilities just as often as good ol' former player Swain. So you're right, carries no weight that local media member and VFL Jayson Swain said it........might as well just have read it here.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back